Jokerit 17/18 - Scooters Gonna Scoot

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why do games start so early in Helsinki? 18:30 Moscow time, it's early even by Russian standarts. It's probably one of reasons, why attendance isn't great.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
If it would start any later there would be even less families. Also I want admit I was very wrong about this team I thought O'Neill wouldnt be a good 2nd line center and now he is practically the best one since Regin is still in summer mood or something.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Why do games start so early in Helsinki? 18:30 Moscow time, it's early even by Russian standarts. It's probably one of reasons, why attendance isn't great.

Finnish league games have always started 18.30 on weekdays so that families and those who have to go to work can leave around 21.00 to get to the busses and trains on time.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
Yeah, I think 18:30 is quite optimal starting time for weekday games. Attendance is somewhat lagging, but I guess it's going down everywhere, Finnish sm-liiga is too struggling heavily. But We'll see later in the winter how the attendancce develops in various leagues. It is what it is, I dont personally mind a bit lagging numbers. 2016-2017 Nhl ratings dropped in Usa, rose in Canada.

I think this is global phenomena, sports popularity peaked in general somewhere 2006-2014. Nfl have been in decline since 2015, and now in a total crisis. Half-empty stadions, unheard of.
Mlb (baseball) too declining big time, have been for a while. English Premier league viewership too in decline as many other european football leagues. Sports go in decades long cycles just like financial markets etc.

Team on a record winning streak currently, 10w is certainly quite rare. Streaks can be too dangerous (regular season points vice they are fantastic) if the team feels exhausted to "start a new streak" when the record eventually ends and then you will face a streak to opposite direction :D However this is often case when more luck is involved in a winning streak, such as nhl regular season. Jokerit have been a better team most of the nights certainly.

I suppose at this point Zapolski will be playing each night until the streaks blows up. Cause if you switch the goalie, and the team happens to lose the game, everybody would wonder how long the streak could have gone on...

JJ will be back to coaching national team after the season. Would have made significantly bigger buck in Jokerit or in another khl team but chose to coach "a new generation" national team it seems, and it is much less demanding job than a regular season coach to be honest. Jokerit will have most likely a finnish coach next season too, there are several decently good options available atm. Marjamäki must be high on the list IF available, maybe a bit boring choise but definitely considerable. Kivi would be on the list too, certainly a great 'tournament' coach and very interesting option too. Well, there are several options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tissotti

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
13w in a row :thumbu::popcorn: Bookers are offering still quite conservative odds for Jokerit placing the team '7th' in the league for outrights with ~21.00 odds

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
First time in my lifetime i was Jokerit's KHL home game in Hartwall Arena today.
I never understood all that hate what Jokerit and HIFK fans had in SM liiga.

Jokerit played really good game tonight and deserved that win.
Also that moment how Jokerit paid tribute for their former captains was something classy which you don't see often in SM liiga.

I was earlier very skeptic on KHL as a hockey league.
But after tonight's KHL game i finally saw how wrong i have been.

KHL really is so much better league than SM liiga.
The game is faster, players are better than their SM liiga colleagues.
And even the atmosphere in the arena is miles ahead compared to SM liiga.

Especially Jokerit fan stand called eteläpääty is clearly best fan stand in Finland.
As i said upper this Jokerit vs UFA game was my first KHL game and i'll comeback later this season.

Congrats Jokerit for a good and well deserved win.
Be well and see you again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
First time in my lifetime i was Jokerit's KHL home game in Hartwall Arena today.
I never understood all that hate what Jokerit and HIFK fans had in SM liiga.

Jokerit played really good game tonight and deserved that win.
Also that moment how Jokerit paid tribute for their former captains was something classy which you don't see often in SM liiga.

I was earlier very skeptic on KHL as a hockey league.
But after tonight's KHL game i finally saw how wrong i have been.

Especially Jokerit fan stand called eteläpääty is clearly best fan stand in Finland.
As i said upper this Jokerit vs UFA game was my first KHL game and i'll comeback later this season.

Congrats Jokerit for a good and well deserved win.
Be well and see you again.

A friend of mine nabbed company tickets for the Sochi game last season and you could see how much faster the game was even for two teams that were modest that year. SHL really is the only other Euro league that is close to it for speed and skill.

I still love Liiga but I have watched more Jokerit games as well as other KHL teams this year despite lacklustre marketing, business model being questionable and the extra financial injection (for another thread).

In conclusion I don't see Jokerit winning it all out but may go far.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
Rivarly is a good thing in sports in general but both teams underperformed often during the season as jokerit and hifk wasted half of their efforts just for the over spilled rivarly crap :) So there is a line where it's good and bad. I dont much follow liiga, mostly nhl and khl jokerit but I wish hifk and blues the best, dont make it too easy for kärpät to dominate the league. Much like Skelleftea in shl...

A friend of mine nabbed company tickets for the Sochi game last season and you could see how much faster the game was even for two teams that were modest that year. SHL really is the only other Euro league that is close to it for speed and skill.

Unfortunately this might be true. Even jokerit is finding it hard to fill the team with quality finnish players. Well, this season has been pretty good in a sense, both tolvanen and lepistö are great upgrades. But often times it's not like that.

I even think the young 'finnish hockey generation' might be over-hyped, just by judging the nhl statistics. Last season was ok'ish but this is not yet looking too bright, compared to sweden for example. Also worth mention SHL and Allsvenskan play Relegation games each season, while liiga and mestis have none, that's insane! You have no obligation to survive if it's guaranteed that easily.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/survey-of-players/

btw David Johnson (puckalytics and hockeyanalysis.com) got hired by an nhl team and was probably forced to remove any public statistics he had gathered so individual stats are now kinda hard to find. Hope at some point we will have similar sites online soon once again

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Rivarly is a good thing in sports in general but both teams underperformed often during the season as jokerit and hifk wasted half of their efforts just for the over spilled rivarly crap :) So there is a line where it's good and bad. I dont much follow liiga, mostly nhl and khl jokerit but I wish hifk and blues the best, dont make it too easy for kärpät to dominate the league. Much like Skelleftea in shl...

Unfortunately this might be true. Even jokerit is finding it hard to fill the team with quality finnish players. Well, this season has been pretty good in a sense, both tolvanen and lepistö are great upgrades. But often times it's not like that.

I even think the young 'finnish hockey generation' might be over-hyped, just by judging the nhl statistics. Last season was ok'ish but this is not yet looking too bright, compared to sweden for example. Also worth mention SHL and Allsvenskan play Relegation games each season, while liiga and mestis have none, that's insane! You have no obligation to survive if it's guaranteed that easily.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/survey-of-players/

btw David Johnson (puckalytics and hockeyanalysis.com) got hired by an nhl team and was probably forced to remove any public statistics he had gathered so individual stats are now kinda hard to find. Hope at some point we will have similar sites online soon once again

HIFK has been so far huge disappointment in this years SM liiga and they are 12th place in liiga.
Espoo Blues has been bankrupted over a year they had unpaid debts almost 3,5- 4 million Euros.

Espoo has setup new hockey team named Espoo United which play in Mestis but even United has serious financial problems.
HIFK's season in liiga has been tough and several injuries have hindered their season.

Also HIFK is facing staff changes in their sports management.
GM Tom Nybondas is transferred other duties and HIFK is looking new GM.

What comes to Jokerit they have been really good this season and it's not surprise Tolvanen is strong candidate Finland's Olympic team. But before Olympics he'll play in world juniors ( Jokerit are releasing him in that tournament).

I don't know yet when i have time to come another Jokerit's KHL home game.
But that what i can say for now it'll happen later this season probably before the playoffs or finally in playoffs.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Yeah, western conference is tough, it's almost guaranteed that you ll meet CSKA in the semis and SKA in the western finals.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
HIFK has been so far huge disappointment in this years SM liiga and they are 12th place in liiga.
Espoo Blues has been bankrupted over a year they had unpaid debts almost 3,5- 4 million Euros.

Espoo has setup new hockey team named Espoo United which play in Mestis but even United has serious financial problems.
HIFK's season in liiga has been tough and several injuries have hindered their season.

Oh yeah, I forgot they dont play in liiga anymore :eek: Just looked at and Espoo United is currently ranked 9th in 1. division, ugh... Seems like they are taking a little breather probably.

Some stats last last 3, not much changed good stats still. luck factor evening out mostly after the streak.
Sog:

jokerit 49 - barys 32
jokerit 46 - lokomotiv 23
ska 37 - jokerit 28

overall 5on5 goals against jokerit is currently ranked first for games played, 20 goals scored against them. This is an extremely good thing. 5on5 scoring jokerit are lacking slightly, also shots on goal team is lacking slightly. However it must be mentioned it is also harder to score against jokerit, these often go somewhat hand in hand. Good way to boost shots 5on5 is to dump and chase LESS. In nhl dumping pack leads to sog only one in three times, while entering the zone with puck control over 60%.

Reactions: TommySalo

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
They should replace the CEO and all the marketing and finance guys. Those numbers are pathetic.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
They should replace the CEO and all the marketing and finance guys. Those numbers are pathetic.
More like that's how much Finnish business and fans are interested in Jokerit playing in KHL.

Those are not good numbers but last season was bad overall. Then again, 10m€ is absolute pennies in terms of khl ownership spending. That seems like pretty consistent loss per season and these people seemed not to mind at all. For what comes to khl and jokerit, attendance have been better during khl time, also jokerit as a brand have become clear number one sports team brand in finland during khl era.

For me personally, i dont mind that much which league team plays as long as the quality of play keeps going up. ...EHT break now, i see they have added team canada and swizerland too! Meanwhile during the break, i suggest hockey fans to spectate tbl games, certainly the best team on the planet atm and very entertaining to watch. Yzerman have got his team flying literally speaking.

Chelsea have received over £1bn from Roman Abramovich but Russian owner is set to carry on spending | Daily Mail Online
Chelsea matching Man United but it has cost billions | Daily Mail Online

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Those are not good numbers but last season was bad overall. Then again, 10m€ is absolute pennies in terms of khl ownership spending. That seems like pretty consistent loss per season and these people seemed not to mind at all. For what comes to khl and jokerit, attendance have been better during khl time, also jokerit as a brand have become clear number one sports team brand in finland during khl era.

For me personally, i dont mind that much which league team plays as long as the quality of play keeps going up. ...EHT break now, i see they have added team canada and swizerland too! Meanwhile during the break, i suggest hockey fans to spectate tbl games, certainly the best team on the planet atm and very entertaining to watch. Yzerman have got his team flying literally speaking.

Chelsea have received over £1bn from Roman Abramovich but Russian owner is set to carry on spending | Daily Mail Online
Chelsea matching Man United but it has cost billions | Daily Mail Online

Why are you bringing football into this discussion? The revenue is much greater there and by spending smart, you can still make a profit in the Premier League. Hell, even United made a 50-60 million euro profit despite spending a lot.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jokerit was

Attendance 2016-2017

Jokerit was 7th in Europe by attendance the previous season. 2.5k more, than the next Finnish team. Probably it's bad, but what about Liiga then? I mean, pathetic Spartak had better attendance, than any Liiga team.

Jokerit have to give out a lot of free or cheap tickets to even reach 8000 against the likes of Yugra or whatever. The declining turnover is the big issue here. Sponsors are more interested in Liiga than KHL. Also, you do know the sizes of arenas in Liiga compared to Spartak's, right? It's also been covered elsewhere that Finnish hockey fans are not pleased with a 60 game regular season and would rather watch the games at home than go see all 30 home games. Attendances are bound to pick up when the Tappara and Ilves move into the new arena in Tampere in a few years.

Last edited:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Jokerit have to give out a lot of free or cheap tickets to even reach 8000 against the likes of Yugra or whatever. The declining turnover is the big issue here. Sponsors are more interested in Liiga than KHL. Also, you do know the sizes of arenas in Liiga compared to Sparta's, right? It's also been covered elsewhere that Finnish hockey fans are not pleased with a 60 game regular season and would rather watch the games at home than go see all 30 home games. Attendances are bound to pick up when the Tappara and Ilves move into the new arena in Tampere in a few years.
I find it a bit pathetic that people didn't even show up to watch Jokerit play when they had their long streak. Sure, they played against non-interesting teams, but the team was/is the second best in the league after SKA. Should be more interest in that.

And, with the new league structure in place with contractions/expansions, it will hopefully gain more interest when they don't have to play as many counter-conference games and if they can keep the team on this level.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Jokerit have to give out a lot of free or cheap tickets to even reach 8000 against the likes of Yugra or whatever. The declining turnover is the big issue here. Sponsors are more interested in Liiga than KHL. Also, you do know the sizes of arenas in Liiga compared to Sparta's, right? It's also been covered elsewhere that Finnish hockey fans are not pleased with a 60 game regular season and would rather watch the games at home than go see all 30 home games. Attendances are bound to pick up when the Tappara and Ilves move into the new arena in Tampere in a few years.
Nobody is talking about Sparta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad