Jokerit 16/17 - The Final Journey?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Yeah I don't really see the reason Loko would let Kontiola go.

Kontiola has stated that he wants to return to Finland. His wife is expecting a baby so that's probably the biggest reason for a return. According to khl.ru Kontiola is in the final year of his contract.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kontiola has stated that he wants to return to Finland. His wife is expecting a baby so that's probably the biggest reason for a return. According to khl.ru Kontiola is in the final year of his contract.

I tend to believe his agent over Urheilulehti. Remember, UL said Hagman and Pihlström were going to play for HIFK this season...

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
I tend to believe his agent over Urheilulehti. Remember, UL said Hagman and Pihlström were going to play for HIFK this season...

All sources say that Kontiola's contract ends this season, apart from that one brief interview with his agent. Might have been a misunderstood answer or something.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
All sources say that Kontiola's contract ends this season, apart from that one brief interview with his agent. Might have been a misunderstood answer or something.

It would take exceptionally poor English to misunderstand such a detailed answer. And it wouldn't be the first time contract lengths have been false on KHL's site.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
It would take exceptionally poor English to misunderstand such a detailed answer. And it wouldn't be the first time contract lengths have been false on KHL's site.

Never underestimate Finnish journalists. Contract extensions are always published when they're done, especially with such a high profile player. It would be odd if the agent would just blurt it to a Finnish reporter before the extension has been made public.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Never underestimate Finnish journalists. Contract extensions are always published when they're done, especially with such a high profile player. It would be odd if the agent would just blurt it to a Finnish reporter before the extension has been made public.

Pekka Holopainen (IS) is a veteran reporter, I doubt he would misunderstand such an answer. :laugh: Besides, the agent was with Finnish agent Ilkka Larva heading to Turku, Larva could have just as well translated it, had there actually been communication issues, which I seriously doubt. But wait, there's more, you seriously ignoring this: http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekk...-huippuhankinnassa-mm-leijona-ja-seuralegenda

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Pekka Holopainen (IS) is a veteran reporter, I doubt he would misunderstand such an answer. :laugh: Besides, the agent was with Finnish agent Ilkka Larva heading to Turku, Larva could have just as well translated it, had there actually been communication issues, which I seriously doubt. But wait, there's more, you seriously ignoring this: http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekk...-huippuhankinnassa-mm-leijona-ja-seuralegenda

I'll wait for an official confirmation, which we should get once Lokomotiv finishes the season. Like I said, Kontiola has talked about returning to Finland and it's probably even more likely now because of him getting a kid.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Jokerit stays for following five seasons.

They must have signed some kind of sponsorship contract, then. Or, at least, I think so... I mean, such a guarantee can't come without financial backing, nor KHL would welcome it. Did they somehow persuade Rotenberg or someone else to keep injecting money or do they say this simply without any kind of guarantee?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
They must have signed some kind of sponsorship contract, then. Or, at least, I think so... I mean, such a guarantee can't come without financial backing, nor KHL would welcome it. Did they somehow persuade Rotenberg or someone else to keep injecting money or do they say this simply without any kind of guarantee?

If I know there is an agreement between the club, sponsors (Rotenberg or new one, I dont know) and the KHL. Yes, it is not usual to extend the contract with a club for such a long period. It is another proof that Jokerit is very important for the KHL as I have said many times. KHL is preparing new 7 years strategy of development, as we have experience with current strategy, the goals of (new) strategy can be reached earlier than 7 years (perhaps 5??). Therefore they have signed Jokerit for that period of time, all rumors were about 3y extention...

Company Hartwall re-signed an agreement with Hartwall Arena (Rotenberg) for naming rights until April 2024 this week.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
No info about Jokerit´s extention in czech media so far... typical.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'll wait for an official confirmation, which we should get once Lokomotiv finishes the season. Like I said, Kontiola has talked about returning to Finland and it's probably even more likely now because of him getting a kid.

http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko/jalokala-sivu-suun-jokereilta-sellaisia-pelaajia-ei-vain-ole

He signed an extension with Jaroslavl. :laugh:

Jokerit fan at Jatkoaika weren't exactly pleased with the 5 year KHL extension to put it mildly. The "negativity" thread ("Nyt vituttaa!" in Finnish :laugh: ) was quickly filled with fans expressing their disappoinment. And there are fans that list "KHL Jokerit" as their favorite team in their profile. There's little trust that they will continue to being anything other than the SaiPa of KHL. The disappoinment is even stronger now that Liiga expressed their disappoinment and said Jokerit would be welcomed back with open arms.

CEO Kohonen admits Jokerit losses for this season were around 15 million euros: http://www.is.fi/khl/art-2000005131381.html So combined losses of ~45 million euros in 3 season. How much in 5 years? Considering Harkimo was seekiing a 3 year exxtension but KHL wanted 5, people are curious about who's going to be paying for it now?

Last edited:

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko/jalokala-sivu-suun-jokereilta-sellaisia-pelaajia-ei-vain-ole

He signed an extension with Jaroslavl. :laugh:

Jokerit fan at Jatkoaika weren't exactly pleased with the 5 year KHL extension to put it mildly. The "negativity" thread ("Nyt vituttaa!" in Finnish :laugh: ) was quickly filled with fans expressing their disappoinment. And there are fans that list "KHL Jokerit" as their favorite team in their profile. There's little trust that they will continue to being anything other than the SaiPa of KHL. The disappoinment is even stronger now that Liiga expressed their disappoinment and said Jokerit would be welcomed back with open arms.

CEO Kohonen admits Jokerit losses for this season were around 15 million euros: http://www.is.fi/khl/art-2000005131381.html So combined losses of ~45 million euros in 3 season. How much in 5 years? Considering Harkimo was seekiing a 3 year exxtension but KHL wanted 5, people are curious about who's going to be paying for it now?

So, fans hate it, CEO says it costs too much, Liiga is disappointed.
Today Jokerit signed a 5-year renewal.
Don't you think that the figures don't add up?

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004

Probably a lot better deal financially than coming back to Finland, though I suspect next season will be his last year in Jaroslavl. The tidbit about him already having a contract for next year and that he's negotiating for an extension for the season after was false, as I said.

Yes, the "I'm pissed off!!"-thread is going strong in Jatkoaika, but it's the same old song as always. If Jokerit can manage to upgrade their team a little and put up a good show next season, the seats will be filled as usual or probably even more so.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So, fans hate it, CEO says it costs too much, Liiga is disappointed.
Today Jokerit signed a 5-year renewal.
Don't you think that the figures don't add up?

Well the figures do add up since corporate results are documented in Finland. It's also obvious that making profit isn't a requirement in KHL but the question is how much losse are tehy willing to take? Timtshenko wasn't expecting Jokerit to make the kind of losses they did and the Ilta-Sanomat story mentioned how there's supposedly major ownership restructuring going on (neither Harkimo nor Kohonen could not comment on finances or that at the moment), so it's possible they're cutting Jokerit player budget and covering the losses less and less.

Last edited:

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Well the figures do add up since corporate results are documented in Finland. It's also obvious that making profit isn't a requirement in KHL but the question is how much losse are tehy willing to take? Timtshenko wasn't expecting Jokerit to make the kind of losses they did and the Ilta-Sanomat story mentioned how there's supposedly major ownership restructuring going on (neither Harkimo nor Kohonen could not comment on finances or that at the moment), so it's possible they're cutting Jokerit player budget and covering the losses less and less.

Erm... don't act like a stupid person, I know that you are not. You have a perfect knowledge of English language, I am more than sure that you understand what the idiomatic phrase "figures don't add up" means.

Omark

Tesla stock
Aug 5, 2011
Espoo, Finland
Erm... don't act like a stupid person, I know that you are not. You have a perfect knowledge of English language, I am more than sure that you understand what the idiomatic phrase "figures don't add up" means.

Don't mind him. Also the "positive" thread was filled of messages after the 5-year announcment. Of course some people don't like it but Jokerit have better attendance in KHL than Liiga.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Don't mind him. Also the "positive" thread was filled of messages after the 5-year announcment. Of course some people don't like it but Jokerit have better attendance in KHL than Liiga.

Barely made it to a new page. :laugh: The other one has almost three new pages.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Are the russians going to keep covering Jokerits losses then? I thought they were going to pull the plug?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad