11.4.2012 JYP-Jokerit 3-2 ja

23.3.2013 Jokerit-Lukko 3-4 ja

27.2.2015 Jokerit-Minsk 2-3 ja

27.2.2016 Torpedo-Jokerit 3-2 ja

23.2.2017 CSKA-Jokerit 2-1 ja

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jussi, I offer you my most sincere condolensces. Stay strong ystava.

Are you going for a AlwaysSunny and Gongshow type of friendship here? ;) :laugh:

On topic, just to clarify: Harkimo and Kohonen say Jokerit have an "on-going deal" with KHL. The problem is the financing. Both have said that Jokerit can't play in KHL without funding from Russia. They had a 3 year deal with Rotenberg to fund the team/cover the losses for the 3 first seasons. It's known Jokerit took "a loan" from them worth 21.4 million euros. It's also known it was far more than Rotenberg expected. He's also not pleased with the losses. He won't help the team after this one so Jokerit are looking for new funding(read= owner). None of that seems to have happened, otherwise they would've made it known. So if Jokerit can't find new funding, who knows what will happen?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Reasons why they have not announced the deal yet:

1. There are holidays in Russia at the start of January
2. Then we have All Star Game
3. Then there is finish of regular season
4. Then there is EHT break
5. Then there is playoff

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
KHL board has absolutely nothing to do with Jokerit finances. Both Harkimo and Kohonen said Jokerit should get the negotations for the finances secured first by the end of the year, then during January then during February. Holidays, all-star games and EHT breaks have nothing to do with those.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Russians are minority owners of the club, so their schedule is very important here.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Their schedule is irrelevant when is comes to financial negotiations. Jokerit need to secure that ASAP, so they know how big their player budget is going to be and who they are able to sign.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Their schedule is irrelevant when is comes to financial negotiations. Jokerit need to secure that ASAP, so they know how big their player budget is going to be and who they are able to sign.

I'm actually a bit worried about not having secured the finances as of this moment. Jokerit will most likely get their financing one way or another, but there are no good indications that it hasn't been solved already. Plus that the new contracts could have a "Jokerit leaving the KHL" clause, in case it would happen.

Anyhow, I believe that Jokerit will stay in the end. The loss of Jokerit for the league would mean the end of future Western expansion projects, at least in the meaning of established clubs.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I'm actually a bit worried about not having secured the finances as of this moment. Jokerit will most likely get their financing one way or another, but there are no good indications that it hasn't been solved already. Plus that the new contracts could have a "Jokerit leaving the KHL" clause, in case it would happen.

Anyhow, I believe that Jokerit will stay in the end. The loss of Jokerit for the league would mean the end of future Western expansion projects, at least in the meaning of established clubs.

No panic. It would be a problem if the club had not secured the finances at end of May (deadline).

I also think that Jokerit will stay.

Compare rethoric of Medvescak and Jokerit. Medvedev said a few days ago that if croatian (see non-russian) sponsors will secure 80% of the budget (cca 8-10m euro I would say), the Medvescak stay in the league. On the other hand, Harkimo/Kohonen are sure that Jokerit will stay.

If you want a good long term deal (for Jokerit), you need time to negotiate. Who cares if the final deal is made in January or in April? The most important is the quality of a deal. Btw, one thing is to reach a deal and announce it. Why should Jokerit announce the deal at the same day as deal is reached?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Harkimo's reply to a question at YLE radio show:

Will Jokerit losses for this season be around 10 million euros? - Yes.

He said the problem is the small number of partners/sponsors.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
So this season was not a total disappointment, thanks to the wins in the last away tour, which pretty much secured the play-off spot. The effort against CSKA was admirable, but Jokerit were not really challenging CSKA at any point. It looked like CSKA was saving gas and scored goals only when they needed, while keeping Jokerit away from the prime goal scoring sectors. Once again, Kvartalnov outcoached a supposedly great Finnish coach and I'm sure CSKA can step up their game even more for the next series.

For next season Jokerit has a need for a decent 2nd line center and I would not mind a total clearance of the coaching staff. Also a guy like Pulkkinen or Moses would be a tremendous addition to the less than spectacular winger department.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
not so much out-coached, just better players and deeper roster. Kvartalnov is no strategy magician.

This. Anyone can see that Jokerit roster is basically a 2nd line and 3 4th lines. As long as Jokerit play in KHL, they won't have a deeper roster because they don't have the money nor a farm team.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
This. Anyone can see that Jokerit roster is basically a 2nd line and 3 4th lines. As long as Jokerit play in KHL, they won't have a deeper roster because they don't have the money nor a farm team.

by deeper roster you mean relative to the league? because I am pretty sure this roster wins back home

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004

They had a deeper and better roster last year and the year before that with roughly the same budget. This year's problem was that they made too many mistakes with guys like Keränen, Hishon and Niemi.

They will never have a budget that could match CSKA or SKA but it's not like their paying peanuts either. They just need to hit a homer with every player acquisition (think Moses, Kozun, Huhtala) and they need excellent coaching. CSKA has a record of 8-1 against Jokerit in the play-offs and they were also schooled by Skudra's Torpedo last year (though Jokerit had injury problems). Jokerit has to be better than that, even if the opponent has a deeper roster. They need a coach who is suitable for an underdog situation.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
not so much out-coached, just better players and deeper roster. Kvartalnov is no strategy magician.

I like the way CSKA plays and I hope they go far this year. Very relentless style of play and the way they defend, block shots, stick check etc is excellent. Maybe CSKA is not as good offensively as they should be, but I think Kvartalnov is one of the best coaches in KHL. I don't know if he is a little underrated in Russia?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I like the way CSKA plays and I hope they go far this year. Very relentless style of play and the way they defend, block shots, stick check etc is excellent. Maybe CSKA is not as good offensively as they should be, but I think Kvartalnov is one of the best coaches in KHL. I don't know if he is a little underrated in Russia?

He gets the guys to play hard, but dressing room chemistry is in question, he has a deep roster to ride.

It would be hard to beat ska though, the whole league is essentially their farm.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also CSKA really lacks offensive talent this year. When Da Costa and Mursak were injured for good chunks of the season their F group was average at best league wide. Their defense is good, even compared to SKA's, but high end forwards are lacking.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Didn't watch any playoff games this season but Kvartalnov has way much more quality chips to play with than Jalonen. It makes coaching/winning a little bit easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->