News Article: Johnston: Subban burning to prove ‘em wrong + video

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Cry me a river. I can only acknowledge you are an over-emotive person who can't stop himself from making silly threads and declarations on this board or on the Bruins'. The few times you are proven right, you go on bragging about how it vindicates you while you conveniently ignore anything else.

Your substance and style have earned you the ire of this board, and few, if any, takes you seriously.

Your perception on what a hf poster should be like reminds me of the old boys club we see in the NHL, the same people who cry foul at any splash of color.

Excuse me for not ''fitting in'' to the boring norms that you define as the ''wwright way'' around here.:laugh:

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
The funniest part about the holdout was really the fact that he was comparable to MDZ and Kulikov. I lol'd every time.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Nice to see Gorges speak so glowingly about him. Kind of debunks the idea that Gorges had some kind of issue with him. Even if he did, he clearly doesn't now.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Last year, when Karlsson won - led all defensemen in points (by a hefty margin too), tied for lead in goals. Won the Norris.

This year - Subban leads all defensemen in goals and points and is second in PPG, one behind Markov. Yet it's not his time to win it, as some people in the media suggest.

I think they need to determine what "Defenseman of the year" really is and stick with it. If it's really for defensive work and a guy like Beauchemin deserves it with his +23 (media suggesting this, not me) this year, then Chara should have won last year with his +33. If it's for points, Subban is the front-runner with his point-per-game pace and leading defenseman, despite playing six games less than the guy sitting in second and five points back.

As for my opinion, Subban is definitely a nominee this year. If he keeps the pace up and remains at the top in terms of goals and points, he should win it. Will he? I have no clue.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Nice to see Gorges speak so glowingly about him. Kind of debunks the idea that Gorges had some kind of issue with him. Even if he did, he clearly doesn't now.

In the words of Subban :

”It’s very easy now for people to speak positively about our team and about my situation because of the way we’ve played this season,”

Gorges be flip-floping worse than John Kerry.

crystal ball

Mar 30, 2007
I actually read this article a couple of times to make sure I understood the tone of his comments. I like the fact that Subban is using his wounded feelings to motivate himself. If "I'll show THEM" works for him, that's great. But, saying those things out loud makes him sound bitter and a little bit immature, I think. He creates an image of himself sitting at home combing the papers and watching TV, making notes about bad things people are saying about him. It's fine for him to feel that way, but going public about it makes me feel a bit uneasy about his mindset. I would have hoped he could just recognize the talking heads for what they are and rise above them. This gives them power, because they know they can get to him.

A guy I know writes a small time Habs blog and during the lockout wrote a couple of things about Subban. Nothing overly critical of his behavior or his value to the team, just a look at where the roots of the holdout lay. He concluded Subban was probably looking for a long term deal when Bergevin wanted a bridge contract, and that Subban would be best serving the team if he were to suck it up and sign short term. No big deal, really. But about a week after he wrote that, Subban suddenly blocked him on Twitter. We thought it was weird because this guy was just a random fan, who never trolled Subban or anything. We wondered if the block was because Subban came across the blog and didn't like it. Maybe it was nothing, or maybe it wasn't

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
You know, I love Subban and I was behind him the whole time but I don't like seeing these type of comments from him.

Medias vote for the Norris. He shouldn't go out of his way to remind them of their idiocy.

Also, his comments could very well apply to Gorges. It's not the time to ruffle feathers and stir up crap.

I like that he is using this to fuel his focus but ultimately, it's better to find other sources of motivation. Soon, there won't be anyone credible left to say crap about him so what will his motivation be then ? Truthfully, I'm not worried about that too much because PK is a serious athlete and I'm sure he'll be fine but he should still keep that stuff to himself.

I don't think it's uncommon for professional athletes to use 'proving others wrong' as at least some form of motivation. Subban is just honest about it. Hell, Michael Jordan isn't shy to say it motivated him.

Add to that the ridiculous character assassination he's suffered through since his career started when he's been nothing but a class act off the ice and (for the most part) on it, and I don't think he can help but bask in it inwardly. I can't say I know much about the Subban family, but the little I do know is that their parents instilled in their kids a strong work ethic, professionalism and class. To have dimwits like PJ Stock crap on that character week in and week out is practically a direct insult to his upbringing and must infuriate him, even if he rarely lets it show.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Happy he took the bridging contract and showing people that he really is an amazing player. I also will not be surprised when he gets some votes for the Hart trophy he has been that important to the Habs this season.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Last year, when Karlsson won - led all defensemen in points (by a hefty margin too), tied for lead in goals. Won the Norris.

This year - Subban leads all defensemen in goals and points and is second in PPG, one behind Markov. Yet it's not his time to win it, as some people in the media suggest.

I think they need to determine what "Defenseman of the year" really is and stick with it. If it's really for defensive work and a guy like Beauchemin deserves it with his +23 (media suggesting this, not me) this year, then Chara should have won last year with his +33. If it's for points, Subban is the front-runner with his point-per-game pace and leading defenseman, despite playing six games less than the guy sitting in second and five points back.

As for my opinion, Subban is definitely a nominee this year. If he keeps the pace up and remains at the top in terms of goals and points, he should win it. Will he? I have no clue.

Why not both?

It should go to the best defenseman, so that should include both his offensive abilities and his defensive play.

Just like the Hart: it doesn't necessarily go to the forward or D with the most points, or the goalie with the best save%, it's about how they led their team to success.

Best defenseman is the one who brings offense and good defense IMO... no? If he gets a lot of points but doesn't bring anything on D, he's not the best D out there...

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Why not both?

It should go to the best defenseman, so that should include both his offensive abilities and his defensive play.

Just like the Hart: it doesn't necessarily go to the forward or D with the most points, or the goalie with the best save%, it's about how they led their team to success.

Best defenseman is the one who brings offense and good defense IMO... no? If he gets a lot of points but doesn't bring anything on D, he's not the best D out there...

Problem is, Karlsson won it because of the gap between himself and second place, in terms of points. He simply dominated in the offensive side of his position. Defensively, there were a handful that were better than him, and that's not just talking about his +/- here either. I'd love for the trophy to be handed to the defenseman that showed dominance in both the offensive and defensive sides of the position, but it won't happen.

I'd like to see two trophies handed out. One for offensive defensemen and one for defensive defenseman. Perhaps it's a little complicated.

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
The holdout threads were very simple to analyze.

You had the fans that put themselves in PK's shoes.
And the fans who put themselves in the GM's shoes.

F I G H T !

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I wonder if people like...

PJ Stock
François Gagnon
Tony Marinaro
Craig Button
Pretty much the entire Antichambre panel
Etc

Feel like what Subban is saying in that article, is targeted at them

If not... They should

Many of the guys on L'Antichambre still basically attribute PK's success to Markov. Except for Mathieu Darche, who still keeps in touch with Subban apparently.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
I actually read this article a couple of times to make sure I understood the tone of his comments. I like the fact that Subban is using his wounded feelings to motivate himself. If "I'll show THEM" works for him, that's great. But, saying those things out loud makes him sound bitter and a little bit immature, I think. He creates an image of himself sitting at home combing the papers and watching TV, making notes about bad things people are saying about him. It's fine for him to feel that way, but going public about it makes me feel a bit uneasy about his mindset. I would have hoped he could just recognize the talking heads for what they are and rise above them. This gives them power, because they know they can get to him.

A guy I know writes a small time Habs blog and during the lockout wrote a couple of things about Subban. Nothing overly critical of his behavior or his value to the team, just a look at where the roots of the holdout lay. He concluded Subban was probably looking for a long term deal when Bergevin wanted a bridge contract, and that Subban would be best serving the team if he were to suck it up and sign short term. No big deal, really. But about a week after he wrote that, Subban suddenly blocked him on Twitter. We thought it was weird because this guy was just a random fan, who never trolled Subban or anything. We wondered if the block was because Subban came across the blog and didn't like it. Maybe it was nothing, or maybe it wasn't

and ?

A lot of ya'll are just yes man

Every team lock there young def to long term deals and it was in his right to ask for a long term deal as a guy that show up to every game, practice hard and stay in the gym. They made an example out of him like they did for guys like Sergei Kostitsyn, Mike Ribeiro & Mikhail Grabovski...

The only problem is that PK showed that he wanted to stay here and took a major discount to prove it. Now we're not talking about Drew Doughty money, we're talking about Getzlaf-Perry money.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The holdout threads were very simple to analyze.

You had the fans that put themselves in PK's shoes.
And the fans who put themselves in the GM's shoes.

F I G H T !

I put myself in the GM's shoes and thought he was doing something stupid.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
PK has been amazing since the day he started with us and now at 23 he`s already the best. I wouldn`t choose any other D in the league over him, lots of people have been on his case and I`m glad he`s shutting them up.

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
Cry me a river. I can only acknowledge you are an over-emotive person who can't stop himself from making silly threads and declarations on this board or on the Bruins'. The few times you are proven right, you go on bragging about how it vindicates you while you conveniently ignore anything else.

Your substance and style have earned you the ire of this board, and few, if any, takes you seriously.

Lol damn what a callout.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
I don't think it's uncommon for professional athletes to use 'proving others wrong' as at least some form of motivation. Subban is just honest about it. Hell, Michael Jordan isn't shy to say it motivated him.

Add to that the ridiculous character assassination he's suffered through since his career started when he's been nothing but a class act off the ice and (for the most part) on it, and I don't think he can help but bask in it inwardly. I can't say I know much about the Subban family, but the little I do know is that their parents instilled in their kids a strong work ethic, professionalism and class. To have dimwits like PJ Stock crap on that character week in and week out is practically a direct insult to his upbringing and must infuriate him, even if he rarely lets it show.

Well said. I'd like to see anyone here listen to someone bash there character and integrity on national television and not get upset with it. I would imagine that it's especially infuriating when character and class are something you've lived by and continually exhibit on and off the ice. The fact that Subban has used this as fuel to greatly improve his game shows exactly how much character and maturity he actually has!

People always talk about all the Montreal players that got attacked by the media and how so many good players were run out of town. Kostitsyns, Latendresse etc. And now we have someone who has taken the media abuse worse than anyone and does he run off to a new team? No. He has a god damn Norris trophy season. That, my friends, is how you stick to the vultures of the Montreal media. They have had it coming for a long time and I absolutely love seeing PK shove it back in their faces.

mim0910

Apr 3, 2013
Halifax
Appreciate the warm words but I have learnt, like PK, to let the results speak for themselves.

Here is the thread in question:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=738275

Instead of justifying the ridicule a better reaction from you would be to acknowledge my eye for finding superstars and succumb to my greatness given where we stand today, 3 years later.

So, medium-rare?

A lot of people were agreeing with you that he was an awesome player. its all good.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
and ?

A lot of ya'll are just yes man

Every team lock there young def to long term deals and it was in his right to ask for a long term deal as a guy that show up to every game, practice hard and stay in the gym. They made an example out of him like they did for guys like Sergei Kostitsyn, Mike Ribeiro & Mikhail Grabovski...

The only problem is that PK showed that he wanted to stay here and took a major discount to prove it. Now we're not talking about Drew Doughty money, we're talking about Getzlaf-Perry money.

It will be see you later if he wants even Doughty type coin, imo. Maybe around or a little bit less then Karlsson would be whereabouts I'd be looking to sign Subban.

I don't see either side bending that much when they sit down next time to negotiate, so hopefully they are close to each other on both term and cap hit.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
Well its not the same situation because Ottawa never lowballed Karlsson. He paid him what he was worth.

Now Bergevin won't be able to sell him the team concept crap because he paid all the other guys what they were worth (and sometime more) PK was the only one that took a discount.

Getzlaf-Perry money 8 years 56 millions minimum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->