News Article: Johnston: Subban burning to prove ‘em wrong + video

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
video at: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/johnston-subban-burning-to-prove-em-wrong/

CHRIS JOHNSTON
APRIL 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
It is tempting to look at a season where P.K. Subban has unexpectedly played his way into the Norris Trophy conversation and simply chalk it up to maturity.

But this, it seems, is about more than that.

A fire is quietly burning below the surface for the Montreal Canadiens defenceman, and it is being fuelled by a desire to answer his critics. Not only is Subban out to prove that he’s an elite player, he’s also eager to show he can be a leader and an exemplary teammate.

Say what you want about Subban – he’s having a heck of a season, and he looks like he’s worth every penny he’s making and then some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
I still remember reading some of the **** a few posters on this site were saying about subban, I would be pretty pissed if i were in his shoes and I definitely wouldn't have handled it as well as subban.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wonder if people like...

PJ Stock
François Gagnon
Tony Marinaro
Craig Button
Pretty much the entire Antichambre panel
Etc

Feel like what Subban is saying in that article, is targeted at them

If not... They should

BoNeS42

Aug 19, 2006
I still remember talking about this situation at school and people telling me we don't need Subban, he's not a big part of the team and in no shape or form a Top D in the NHL. **** casual fans. lol

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

PJ Stock
François Gagnon
Tony Marinaro
Craig Button
Etc

If not... They should

They're all just a bunch of hypocrites, the whole AC pannel wanted us to trade Subban. Now they're saying he's the best d-man in the league.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Well, if there is one thing we know for sure about PK, is that no matter what, he's emotionnal. That he's fueled by enthusiasm, anger and pride is no surprise, considering last season, the off season, and his insane season so far.

Add in the desire to win in the playoffs and I think we can see a repeat of his really impressive run vs Pittsburg a few years ago, where he replaced Markov as a rookie. That was something.

Except that now he's 5 times the player he was back then.

Are you excited?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'm actually not the least bit excited about what Subban is doing. He's just doing what I expected. And I don't find his attitude/behaviour/etc to be any different either. He's just not getting unfairly targeted for it quite as much. The only thing that stops him from the Norris is that the coaching staff continued to under-utilize and underrate him to start the season. But that's on them, nothing to do with PK. He could have won the Norris last season too, if Markov had been healthy to help polish up the PP points on the resume and the team wasn't in such a mess.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Well in respond to Blind Gardien, if your in MT's shoes and this kids comes in, you have to make him earn every inche, that's how you keep your dressing room together and you has a new coach, you have to earn the respect of your players....mainly your vets. You don't coach for individual horours but team sucess.

The way I see it, habs management and coaching staff handle the PK thing very well and for that I think PK is a better player for it. I love the bridge deal they got him signed and sure it may cost more in the long run in term of money but that kodos to the player for answering the bell.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You know, I love Subban and I was behind him the whole time but I don't like seeing these type of comments from him.

Medias vote for the Norris. He shouldn't go out of his way to remind them of their idiocy.

Also, his comments could very well apply to Gorges. It's not the time to ruffle feathers and stir up crap.

I like that he is using this to fuel his focus but ultimately, it's better to find other sources of motivation. Soon, there won't be anyone credible left to say crap about him so what will his motivation be then ? Truthfully, I'm not worried about that too much because PK is a serious athlete and I'm sure he'll be fine but he should still keep that stuff to himself.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
We should dig up the Subban hold-out threads for some major crow servings.

I 2nd this.. I still remember his 1st game against philly (called up from hamilton) and I made a "pk is god" thread after the 1st period. i was ridiculed, ignored and demoralized...

what I'm saying is that ill be there ramming the crow down their throats and should they choke ill stuff it up their other holes

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
You know, I love Subban and I was behind him the whole time but I don't like seeing these type of comments from him.

Medias vote for the Norris. He shouldn't go out of his way to remind them of their idiocy.

Also, his comments could very well apply to Gorges. It's not the time to ruffle feathers and stir up crap.

I like that he is using this to fuel his focus but ultimately, it's better to find other sources of motivation. Soon, there won't be anyone credible left to say crap about him so what will his motivation be then ? Truthfully, I'm not worried about that too much because PK is a serious athlete and I'm sure he'll be fine but he should still keep that stuff to himself.

He is taking it to the next level. Whatever his motivation appears to be, it is fine by me. Seeing him wire that shot in a 4-1 game tells me he is all business. That type of attitude wins cups. Sure the media ticked him off, but his real motivation is to win.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country

PJ Stock
François Gagnon
Tony Marinaro
Craig Button
Etc

If not... They should

Francois Gagnon retweeted if IIRC, which is kind of ironic since some of the "I read the garbage they wrote" was definitely directed at him. (IE: Not worth more than MDZ...good one Gagnon)

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I 2nd this.. I still remember his 1st game against philly (called up from hamilton) and I made a "pk is god" thread after the 1st period.i was ridiculed, ignored and demoralized...

what I'm saying is that ill be there ramming the crow down their throats and should they choke ill stuff it up their other holes

Bullies... :shakehead

There is a little moisture under my eyes after reading this. I hope you will be alright and this board has not permanently scarred your beautiful soul.

BoNeS42

Aug 19, 2006
Francois Gagnon retweeted if IIRC, which is kind of ironic since some of the "I read the garbage they wrote" was definitely directed at him. (IE: Not worth more than MDZ...good one Gagnon)

But they had the same point total last season!!! :sarcasm:

PricePkPatch*

I 2nd this.. I still remember his 1st game against philly (called up from hamilton) and I made a "pk is god" thread after the 1st period. i was ridiculed, ignored and demoralized...

1st period played as a call-up, and you open a thread named "PK is God"?

no wonder you got ridiculed. You gotta learn how to restrain hyperboles.

BoNeS42

Aug 19, 2006
I need help here. I'm looking for the 2007 draft video of PK Subban interview. Been looking for 30minutes and no luck so far.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB

Hmm... Based on your declaration of PK's deity status after only one game, and your desire make people choke on crow and then some, I'd suggest you are prone to over-reactions a little bit lol

Happy PK is really opening people's eyes and that he has responded extremely well to the holdout drama. I felt one of the things he may need to work on over the next few years was maturity, but he's way ahead of what I expected to this point. I wondered also how he would react to the low-five ban, A+ on that one too.

What a difference a year makes for this organization!

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
1st critic on his kill list is Marc Bergevin, of course. Didn't get paid enough. Hungry for money. Moar money.

(Great move to keep P.K motivated by Marc, btw. I would not stand for last year's Subban being paid Brian Campbell money. That would have been unacceptable.)

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

He gave an honest interview, man. He's not saying give me a Norris, he's saying that it was extra motivating to see all the bile thrown at him by so many people.

You're always ridiculed and ignored though.

Gagnon is a nobody.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
There is a little moisture under my eyes after reading this. I hope you will be alright and this board has not permanently scarred your beautiful soul.

Appreciate the warm words but I have learnt, like PK, to let the results speak for themselves.

1st period played as a call-up, and you open a thread named "PK is God"?

no wonder you got ridiculed. You gotta learn how to restrain hyperboles.

Here is the thread in question:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=738275

Instead of justifying the ridicule a better reaction from you would be to acknowledge my eye for finding superstars and succumb to my greatness given where we stand today, 3 years later.

So, medium-rare?

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
For the first time has a habs fan, I feel like we have the best of the league.

You win a cup with players like 2013 subban. And we are the only team to have one.

He is flawless and he controls the play like he is the star of his pee wee BB team. It's insane.

PricePkPatch*

Here is the thread in question:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=738275

Instead of justifying the ridicule a better reaction from you would be to acknowledge my eye for finding superstars and succumb to my greatness given where we stand today, 3 years later.

So, medium-rare?

Cry me a river. I can only acknowledge you are an over-emotive person who can't stop himself from making silly threads and declarations on this board or on the Bruins'. The few times you are proven right, you go on bragging about how it vindicates you while you conveniently ignore anything else.

Your substance and style have earned you the ire of this board, and few, if any, takes you seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad