Proposal: Johnsson to San Jose (offseason)

What's the least you'd trade Johnsson to SJS for?

• Total voters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Re: Johnsson's rookie numbers he had 13:40 TOI a night and missed 9 games. Also he started the year on the 4th line scoring 3 points in his first 18 games with the lone assist being October 13 when he played under 9:00. I don't recall for sure but it may have been Marleau beside Matthews for the early part of the year.

After that slow start Johnsson had 40 pts in 55 games so it really was fairly impressive, albeit a limited sample (although a bigger sample than this year). Too bad he couldn't resume that level this season. It could be time to move him with the rookie shine still close or selling low and a bad move.

What if the bolded is the actual AJ and last season was an anomaly? 50-50 chance. What Im saying is maybe dump Kerfoot instead if cap space is the issue because he has never produced at that rate.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would want Kerfoot the weak gone first. Kappy and AJ fill out our wing depth perfect. Kerfoot had to be put up in the top 6 to get him going when his job was third line center.
It can be said he got concussed. AJ got injured too. Who is the better players of the three is the question. I rank Kappy equally enough and Kerfoot below both.
Moving Kerfoot for picks/ prospects combo of some sort signs Dermott long term. Thats my conclusion at this point. Spezza moves to 3 center, Gauthier keeps 4th line job

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I would want Kerfoot the weak gone first. Kappy and AJ fill out our wing depth perfect. Kerfoot had to be put up in the top 6 to get him going when his job was third line center.
It can be said he got concussed. AJ got injured too. Who is the better players of the three is the question. I rank Kappy equally enough and Kerfoot below both.
Moving Kerfoot for picks/ prospects combo of some sort signs Dermott long term. Thats my conclusion at this point. Spezza moves to 3 center, Gauthier keeps 4th line job
Kerfoot had to play in the top 6 because Johnsson and Mikheyev were both injured at the same time, not because he was struggling at center

Reactions: FreeBird

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
according to a couple of those advanced stat sites; Toronto Maple Leafs Forward Grades 2019-20 Regular Season

Alex Kerfoot was acquired from the Avalanche last summer in a trade that I would say worked out pretty good for the Leafs, despite the opposite public perception.
Nazem Kadri had an awesome year in Colorado, and since he’s an awesome player, who would expect anything else?

The thing is though, Kadri’s best strength is scoring, and he’s a centre. On the Leafs he can’t get the touches to truly take advantage of his scoring talent, so it makes sense to swap him for a player who provides value in a different way.

Coming off a year in which he was statistically the best defensive player in the NHL, Kerfoot was the Leafs best defensive forward by a mile. He was versatile, and made a great LW on a line with Tavares, while also being arguably the NHL’s best 3rd line centre as well.

Kerfoot was worth 1.4 WAR (WAR Stats and contract info from @jfresh player cards) and scored at the same 5v5 rate as John Tavares on a per minute basis. (All other stats from naturalstattrick.com).

Kerfoot may not have scored as much as Kadri, but he provided the Leafs with defense and versatility, two areas of weakness. He is also younger and much cheaper.

Kerfoot finished with 9 goals, 28 points in 65 games. He had a 53% CF and a 52% Expected goals rating (all stats naturalstattrick.com).

so there's that

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs have Hyman, Mikheyev, Korshkov, Barabanov, Robertson, Engvall, and possibly Clifford for the left side next year.

IMO Johnsson is the most expendable player that the Leafs have for Cap relief. If they trade Kerfoot, they have to make another trade to fill the #3C as we have no idea how Spezza will perform in a full season in a higher role with another year on the ol' odometer.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs have Hyman, Mikheyev, Korshkov, Barabanov, Robertson, Engvall, and possibly Clifford for the left side next year.

IMO Johnsson is the most expendable player that the Leafs have for Cap relief. If they trade Kerfoot, they have to make another trade to fill the #3C as we have no idea how Spezza will perform in a full season in a higher role with another year on the ol' odometer.

People forget that Kerfoot (after a pretty good start) played with a broken face for a large portion of this season, and that affected all aspects of his game.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
according to a couple of those advanced stat sites; Toronto Maple Leafs Forward Grades 2019-20 Regular Season

so there's that
Yeah there is that. A link to a twitter account. Thanks for coming out. Them stats show how Keefe used him down the bottom of that link.. Doesn’t look good when your supposed defensive center starts and takes the Least faceoffs in the defensive zone doesn’t it.
Save % when he is on the ice stinks too, gf/ga don’t come out in his favour etc etc. He’s junk

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Spezza starts you with the puck much more and i think he proved babcock pretty wrong for doubting him. $3,500,000 for a third line center is to much and his playing style is pretty weak. I don’t like Kerfoot very much :) might be hard to get a unbiased comment on him. I keep coming back to I can’t stand him ha

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Huge decision to make there. I think they re-sign him.

I think he will need to compromise on term or aav if he wants to stay. He seemingly seems to like thr guys on the team, and playing here so hes got incentive.

With a flst cap for the next few seasons i think he would find any team willing to invest big dollars in him (thpugh this perception will likely come down to his post season performance)

Reactions: ACC1224

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
People forget that Kerfoot (after a pretty good start) played with a broken face for a large portion of this season, and that affected all aspects of his game.

I do think this gets glossed over too quickly.

He was assisting to a new city, new teammates and dealing with a major injury.

While he may get moved for cap reasons, im also fine letting him get another chance

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why would they shoot themselves in the foot by taking a team friendly deal for next year when they know the cap will be tight in Toronto for years without a trade? The Leafs can't sign Dermott and Mikheyev if there isn't a trade to free cap. Period. That just the reality. They aren't signing for league minimum, and both are eligible for offer sheets. A $2.1 million offer sheet gives the Leafs a 3rd in return. That's tremendous value for 2 fine young players.

Is that a road the Leafs want to go down?

If Dermott and Mikheyev were going to sign team friendly deals, do you not think they would have already done so? There is nothing preventing it.

While i wouldnt say they were going to sign team frinedly deals, the Leafs may have opted tp refrain from negotiating until they had a final understanding of what the cap is for next season

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Move Johnsson. Kerfoot has value because he can play C. You can always trade kerfoot later once another 3C becomes available. Or find a team which wants to do a 2 for 1 (Kerfoot, Johnsson) for player X with term and makes no more than 3M. That probably lets you bring back Soup and Dermott.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Johnsson is worth at least a 2nd. I think one of the bottom feeders with plenty of picks like the Sens, Wings, or Kings would do well to pick him up. He's a good player, but we've got to rub every penny together that we can. I think he's worth two 2nd's but we're not going to get that with the flat cap and an injury filled season.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
While i wouldnt say they were going to sign team frinedly deals, the Leafs may have opted tp refrain from negotiating until they had a final understanding of what the cap is for next season
Agreed, but they have known it since Covid that it would be the same or go down.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Move Johnsson. Kerfoot has value because he can play C. You can always trade kerfoot later once another 3C becomes available. Or find a team which wants to do a 2 for 1 (Kerfoot, Johnsson) for player X with term and makes no more than 3M. That probably lets you bring back Soup and Dermott.

As bad as Kerfoot was this year, he does have some positional flexibility which makes his cap efficiency over Johnsson at least equal if not better in my eyes.

Johnsson needs to go for sure.

He's only as good as the centre who carries him.

Reactions: kb and qqaz

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Yeah there is that. A link to a twitter account. Thanks for coming out. Them stats show how Keefe used him down the bottom of that link.. Doesn’t look good when your supposed defensive center starts and takes the Least faceoffs in the defensive zone doesn’t it.
Save % when he is on the ice stinks too, gf/ga don’t come out in his favour etc etc. He’s junk

save % stunk all year no matter who was on the ice

he's junk but yet.....I didn't make these stats up just linked an article that say's that maybe you're being a little unfair in your assessment of the player (based on what may I ask)?

believe what you want to believe chum, if you do you'll always be right:nod:

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
As bad as Kerfoot was this year, he does have some positional flexibility which makes his cap efficiency over Johnsson at least equal if not better in my eyes.

Johnsson needs to go for sure.

He's only as good as the centre who carries him.

Mikheyev and Engvall have helped make AJ more expendable as much as I like him .. Definitely first to go.

Although I'd probably look to move both to be honest to free up some cap space to address the blue line.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Spezza starts you with the puck much more and i think he proved babcock pretty wrong for doubting him. $3,500,000 for a third line center is to much and his playing style is pretty weak. I don’t like Kerfoot very much :) might be hard to get a unbiased comment on him. I keep coming back to I can’t stand him ha

For a small player he competes I give him credit for that.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->