Proposal: Johnsson to San Jose (offseason)

What's the least you'd trade Johnsson to SJS for?

• Total voters

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I noticed a lot of proposals recently on CapFriendly (the Armchair GM mode) that were maid by Sharks fans who all suggest trading picks to Toronto for Andreas Johnsson. (here's some from the last few weeks). It seems to be a popular suggestion. The consensus seems to be around a 3rd rounder plus a 5th rounder.

In the offseason, of course. Would you guys be good with trading Johnsson for just picks from San Jose? We'll likely need the cap space. What picks would be enough for you to pull the trigger?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Trading Johnsson for picks would be a mechanism to gain cap space for someone else. I have no interest in trading Johnsson for picks on it's own, unless someone is overpaying for him.

So I need to know what we're spending the cap space on first, because that's the only point of trading him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd hope his trade value wouldn't be lower than either a 2nd or 3rd round pick, particularly in terms of purely futures (picks). He's signed for another three seasons and should average in the low 40s for points over a full season. He'd just be expendable as a Leaf due to Hyman and Mikheyev. Maybe attach a condition to the pick if an interested team is concerned about his return from injury? He wouldn't simply be a cap casualty in an ideal situation.

Last edited:

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Trading Johnsson for picks would be a mechanism to gain cap space for someone else. I have no interest in trading Johnsson for picks on it's own, unless someone is overpaying for him.

So I need to know what we're spending the cap space on first, because that's the only point of trading him.

Ya, I get that. But we're practically capped out as it is.

There are 17 players signed for next season, with about 4.5 million left until the cap. That's 4 or 5 players to fit in 4.5 million. Probably not enough to even bring back Dermott, Mikheyev, and Clifford, while still dressing 21 players.

So status-quo gives us the same roster as we have now, minus Barrie and Ceci. At best.

I'd say, if the opportunity presented itself to trade Johnsson for something like a 3rd or a 2nd, you'd have to consider it even without knowing who the space gets used on.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'd say, if the opportunity presented itself to trade Johnsson for something like a 3rd or a 2nd, you'd have to consider it even without knowing who the space gets used on.

Why don't you just keep him until you know, and then trade him? Then you know if it makes sense or not.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I noticed a lot of proposals recently on CapFriendly (the Armchair GM mode) that were maid by Sharks fans who all suggest trading picks to Toronto for Andreas Johnsson. (here's some from the last few weeks). It seems to be a popular suggestion. The consensus seems to be around a 3rd rounder plus a 5th rounder.

In the offseason, of course. Would you guys be good with trading Johnsson for just picks from San Jose? We'll likely need the cap space. What picks would be enough for you to pull the trigger?

SJ 5th 2020 + Earlier of SJ 3rd 2021 and whichever 2021 Pit pick they get would be decent. I also like the Gambrell throw in that a couple of them made. Him and Brooks would give us solid C depth in the A / could battle for 13F.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is no question that he is a prime candidate to be moved, and often mentioned as the most likely guy we should move. The bottom line is we simply need the cap space, and probably two of the three middle six wingers, earning ~$3 mil are the guys going. Under normal times, and without injury, he should return a late first... but he's had that injury, and with Covid, and a flat cap, we aren't going to get that. I don't think it's so much as to what is an acceptable return, as much as what is the market offering for him?? It might not be what we want, but we are going to have to take what we can get.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Always better to be proactive in solving your issues. Even if the Leafs didn't need to clear his cap hit (which they know they do), it's better to be proactive than reactive.

The Leafs are going to get squeezed greatly on the return if they wait to the last second to trade Johnsson because they have to, and then are forced to take the best offer in a very tight spot.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I think that AJ, Kerfoot and Dermott (Only is we land 1st pairing RHD) are all gone because of the cap crunch.

Regarding Value

AJ-2nd
Kerfoot-3rd
Dermott-2nd plus later round pick (4-6)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
SJ 5th 2020 + Earlier of SJ 3rd 2021 and whichever 2021 Pit pick they get would be decent. I also like the Gambrell throw in that a couple of them made. Him and Brooks would give us solid C depth in the A / could battle for 13F.
I don’t think you’d get three picks AND a prospect for him. I’d probably do 3rd+5th+Gambrell or COL 2nd+Gambrell though.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Your dumping salary to boot, 3rd at best for injury prone player.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Huh?

I'm only saying we should know what we're spending the cap space on.

I'm all for keeping Johnsson if everyone fits. Status quo though it'd probably be because you need space to resign both of Mikheyev and Dermott. Keeping both and trading nobody will be a very tight squeeze. It could be additions we're talking about, but we might need space just for status quo to resign RFAs

If required I'd want at least a 2nd I think. Or I'd rather flip Kerfoot, I think Johnsson has more upside than him despite playing a less valuable position. I'd be more willing to lose a Kerfoot trade than a Johnsson trade.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don’t think you’d get three picks AND a prospect for him. I’d probably do 3rd+5th+Gambrell or COL 2nd+Gambrell though.

Yeah like @Fogelhund said, just the two picks with conditions for us to get the earliest of the 2021. Col 2nd+ Gambrell would be fine as well, I'd likely choose it. Could Gambrell be subbed out for at 5th? I'm not against his inclusion but unless the org loves him he's kind of a "meh why not" IMO

Reactions: qqaz and Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah like @Fogelhund said, just the two picks with conditions for us to get the earliest of the 2021. Col 2nd+ Gambrell would be fine as well, I'd likely choose it. Could Gambrell be subbed out for at 5th? I'm not against his inclusion but unless the org loves him he's kind of a "meh why not" IMO
I would be okay with either a 5th or Gambrell. I figured you'd rather Gambrell to replace Johnsson. I actually really like either of those offers and I think it could work pretty well for both sides. Sharks get a middle 6 winger, Leafs get cap space to either resign players or to bring in new ones.

Reactions: qqaz and 4thline

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
San Jose doesn't have a 3rd until next season, so my ask would be either Colorado's 2020 2nd or two of their three 2021 3rd round picks. Preferably the 2020 2nd.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Whoever is acquiring AJ is taking a bit of a chance. Knee repair has improved immensely and there are plenty of positive outcomes but it's still a possibility that the player can't reclaim his previous level of play. AJ for 2021 3rd and 2020 5th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->