Johnsson or Kapanen your choice

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I forgot Plekanec is a leaf he's been incredibly invisible, meanwhile Johnsson has been noticeable in every game, both good and bad.

I'd keep Both, but is it even a question? Kapanen stays in over Johnsson no matter what

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There is no inconsistency. I've always maintained that we don't have a player that does hymans job in the lineup and if we did I would be open to seeing what could happen. The name I threw out constantly was Tkachuk.
AJ can replace brown. Has all the tools and is showing the aptitude. There is no inconsistency

Of course there is

The Bozak line is working as well now as it did with Marner on it, the only argument you've got is "sure that lines going great but it's just got to be better with Johnsson there"

That lines going so well right now your highly unlikely to be correct on it improving let alone the kid you want to replace Brown with has almost zero NHL experience

My general rule of thumb is that if it works leave it alone and mess with combinations if it's not

Leave the forward group alone, **** Komarov and his "intangibles", keep the lineup as is (except Zaitsev because we're worse with him to)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Of course there is

The Bozak line is working as well now as it did with Marner on it, the only argument you've got is "sure that lines going great but it's just got to be better with Johnsson there"

That lines going so well right now your highly unlikely to be correct on it improving let alone the kid you want to replace Brown with has almost zero NHL experience

My general rule of thumb is that if it works leave it alone and mess with combinations if it's not

Leave the forward group alone, **** Komarov and his "intangibles", keep the lineup as is (except Zaitsev because we're worse with him to)
The point is Leo will play and one of them has to go. So, based on the meritorious system you espouse to brown should be the guy to go unless you think Johnsson has not been playing better than brown.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The point is Leo will play and one of them has to go. So, based on the meritorious system you espouse to brown should be the guy to go unless you think Johnsson has not been playing better than brown.

Since we both know it's not a meritocracy we can dispense with that argument, if it was Komarov would have his ass stapled to the press box

I like Johnsson but there is no way in hell he should play in place of Brown

Brown's contribution was inarguable, he was on the Matthews line when the game was on the line instead of Nylander and he played his part in the JVR goal

Babcock isn't going to PB him for a kid that's not played on the Bozak line

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I know that Pleks has been shit for us. So when Leo comes back, why don't we toss him into Pleks 4C role and put the ex-hab in the press box?

Reactions: highslot

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Since we both know it's not a meritocracy we can dispense with that argument, if it was Komarov would have his ass stapled to the press box

I like Johnsson but there is no way in hell he should play in place of Brown

Brown's contribution was inarguable, he was on the Matthews line when the game was on the line instead of Nylander and he played his part in the JVR goal

Babcock isn't going to PB him for a kid that's not played on the Bozak line
Ya we both know Leo is going in and brown will stay but my point is still AJ has been better than brown since being called up. Even zekes numbers showed that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If one has to go out for the playoffs, I'd rather it be Johnsson.

I think Kapanen is just better prepared at this time to contribute in more ways.

Only way around that happening would be something like (with Komarov back).

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Hyman
Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen

Brown sitting

Reactions: saltming

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Komarov will get playing time - Babcock strikes me as a coach that honors his veteran players - which is a shame because I can really see Johnsson's energy and effort...

On the issue of Komarov, I hope he's not re signed by the Leafs - I don't particularly have a problem with him, I just think we can put the money to better use by offering new contracts to the Marner, Matthews and Nylander while putting some effort into acquiring a top 4 defence.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Because plekanec has been fine and komarov isn't a center
And yet Leo can play C and is decent on the draw. Do you really want to see Komarov - Plek - Kapanen? Not only do the first two guys manage to be absolute plugs but throwing Kapanen there pretty much renders him useless since there's 0 skill on that line outside of him. We would turn a productive and advantageous 4th line into absolute bums, real fast.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And yet Leo can play C and is decent on the draw. Do you really want to see Komarov - Plek - Kapanen? Not only do the first two guys manage to be absolute plugs but throwing Kapanen there pretty much renders him useless since there's 0 skill on that line outside of him. We would turn a productive and advantageous 4th line into absolute bums, real fast.
No, I want to keep seeing Johnsson - Plekanec - Kapanen though. They've been good every game

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ya we both know Leo is going in and brown will stay but my point is still AJ has been better than brown since being called up. Even zekes numbers showed that.

One guys the defensive conscience on a top 9 line, the other guy is on the 4th line and has a tiny sample size so the numbers argument needs context

Who are you taking out for Leo then? Babs already said AJ is out as soon as Leo comes back.

I'm pretty sure his argument is Komarov shouldn't come back in, which I agree with by the way

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
One guys the defensive conscience on a top 9 line, the other guy is on the 4th line and has a tiny sample size so the numbers argument needs context

I'm pretty sure his argument is Komarov shouldn't come back in, which I agree with by the way

Does that not sound absolutely absurd. Do you think Babs would ever not play a healthy Leo or Zach?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

We certainly agree Leo should sit but I do see the value of bringing him in to be a heavier team.
Also if Leo is the wrecking ball he was previous to this season in these playoffs I will be happy to have him

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I don't understand your point. He's also not going to sit a healthy Plekanec so that he can try Leo out at center
Nope. He's going to play both Leo and Pleks and therefore AJ is going to get boned. I want AJ and KK in the lineup with either one of Leo or Pleks. Obviously that's not happening. It was wishful thinking.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I think some may be disappointed to see Komarov playing higher up on the lineup. babcock loves his matchups

It's ok his generational pking and his generational tapping other guys on the shoulder when he scores (1/40 games) makes up for it.

Who needs speed, offense and youth when you have grit and PKing?

"WHAT'S THE CORSI ON THAT???"-MIKE BABCOCK

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Does that not sound absolutely absurd. Do you think Babs would ever not play a healthy Leo or Zach?

Babcock is going to do what he's going to do, doesn't mean I've got to agree with him especially on Komarov

We certainly agree Leo should sit but I do see the value of bringing him in to be a heavier team.
Also if Leo is the wrecking ball he was previous to this season in these playoffs I will be happy to have him

I'd happily take Komarov of a couple of years ago over a lot of guys but he's not that player now and wishing won't change that

He's got to provide more to the team than PK ability and some grit, he needs to be a positive 5v5 over the other guys which he clearly isn't

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Babcock is going to do what he's going to do, doesn't mean I've got to agree with him especially on Komarov

I'd happily take Komarov of a couple of years ago over a lot of guys but he's not that player now and wishing won't change that

He's got to provide more to the team than PK ability and some grit, he needs to be a positive 5v5 over the other guys which he clearly isn't
I'm willing to see how he starts the playoffs. I'm hoping he's saving himself for the playoffs.
If he doesn't come out with guns ablazing then I will be pulling out my pitchfork.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm willing to see how he starts the playoffs. I'm hoping he's saving himself for the playoffs.
If he doesn't come out with guns ablazing then I will be pulling out my pitchfork.

He's just not the same this season, his play style has caught up with him

Play the best team, Komarov just isn't there now days

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Kapanen over Johnsson -- both because his speed is game changing, especially if we play Boston, and also because of his tendency to come up big in key moments -- but really... neither of them should sit. Komarov is clearly the worst of the three.

This is one reason I wanted Johnsson (and Aaltonen) to get a look before the trade deadline: We could have got a return for a pending UFA in Komarov AND filled in his roster spot with a superior player. Nope. Instead we go out and give away a 2nd to get Plekanec.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad