LeBrun: Johnsson and Leafs closing in on extension (4 years, $3.4M AAV)

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
One of 3 things at work here. There can be only 3 scenarios. I don't know. But let's discuss them until they are signed.

1. Waiting to see how much money Marner is going to take off the cap before the Leafs can assure Kap and Johnsson getting a piece of the pie

2. Agents and players want to squeeze Dubas for more money. Let's remember Johnsson already declined one offer last April.

3. Or has an offer sheet entered the equation?
Take option 2 out. If they were squeezing for more, nobody would be reporting that the 2 sides have pretty much agreed to sign.

Take out option 3. If an offershert was happening, why would the players (apparently) agree to the terms they have? You'd think the sheets would be higher...no?

Considering most reports have already confirmed thst your least favorite option...#1 is the case, i'll go with option 1.

Reactions: dangomon

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
One of 3 things at work here. There can be only 3 scenarios. I don't know. But let's discuss them until they are signed.

1. Waiting to see how much money Marner is going to take off the cap before the Leafs can assure Kap and Johnsson getting a piece of the pie

2. Agents and players want to squeeze Dubas for more money. Let's remember Johnsson already declined one offer last April.

4. They’re waiting on tagging room. Right now they don’t have the tagging room to extend Marner, Kap, and Johnsson. If they want to keep the window open to get Marner off the market before July 1, no matter how slim the chance is, they need to wait on Kap and Johnsson.

I bet these contracts are signed July 1.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
4. They’re waiting on tagging room. Right now they don’t have the tagging room to extend Marner, Kap, and Johnsson. If they want to keep the window open to get Marner off the market before July 1, no matter how slim the chance is, they need to wait on Kap and Johnsson.

I agree. The Leafs need the money to match an offer sheet if Marner is offer sheeted. That's July 1.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
According to Bob McKenzie it's done but Leafs are waiting to see what's happening with Marner. Likely both will be signed before July 1st in the off chance someone offers them an offer sheet at just below $4.2 per season (they only give up a 2nd rounder then).
They are in the visiting/talking period....they are already in the off chance time where someone could tell them their offers...waiting does have its risks..even if the chance is of it happening is remote.

Lurk Muller

Oct 11, 2018
Geez can we just let the leafs be happy for a minute... this seems like great news for them. Just because they didn't get perfect deals from their stars doesn't mean every player in the org is going to try to gouge them.

Reactions: uncleben and Dog

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Or turning down the QFOs offered today.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I just don’t really understand why Kap/Johnsson would agree to these deals. Idk maybe they’re really happy in TOR.

But fact of the matter is these guys could probably get $5-6m on an offer sheet, which would mean they’d basically get double what TOR is offering after taxes are factored in.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I just don’t really understand why Kap/Johnsson would agree to these deals. Idk maybe they’re really happy in TOR.

But fact of the matter is these guys could probably get $5-6m on an offer sheet, which would mean they’d basically get double what TOR is offering after taxes are factored in.

Its still just speculation though. Rumors always come out daily that dont end up being true. Until it's official, its just rumors

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

I'm a little surprise both signed more than a 2 year deal at very god damned reasonable cap hits (especially with the insane numbers out there. Yes. I'm looking at you Mr Hayes) but yeah...I dunno. Kapanen is besties with Nylander so...maybe lifestyle choices like that factor in. Maybe they believe the team can win...I don't know. They could definitely get more. Maybe they just weren't overly confident in getting an offer sheet.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

Johnsson and Kapanan were giving chances here to succeed and they have. It's a win-win for both players and club. I knew they would take way less then Nylander has to do with father driving up their value. Something like Marner's father is doing and it probably will lead to him leaving Toronto.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

That, in-combination with wanting to keep space in case he's offer sheeted.

Probably not explicitly, but I imagine he's using this as a negotiation tactic on Marner. "You holding out for such a large contract/you signing an offersheet, is holding back the deals for your teammates; if you sign too big, we won't have room for them. Do you really want to be the cause of them having to leave?"

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Toronto is a good, young team where they can play with some elite forwards. The Leafs have offense in spades, and they will likely rack up a ton of points during their contract. This will help them cash in on their next contract.

They also probably like playing for the team, like the amenities and like their team mates. Ennis signed with the Leafs for one year at a very low salary and he's almost certain to cash in this year if he signs anywhere else. Supposedly he also signed because of the Leafs medical staff.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018

Who would pay either player 5-6 million on an offer sheet? Let's toner down a bit.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

I would imagine the very most a team would offer in an offersheet is just under 4.3 per year(2nd round pick compensation).. So their deals that are rumored are about right when taking into consideration it is a shorter length contract

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Who would pay either player 5-6 million on an offer sheet? Let's toner down a bit.
This is what i don't get on this site. people absolutely bash Dubas for "overpaying" Nylander/Matthews....but think Marner deserves 13 and Kap/Johnsson should get 5-6? I mean i guess there are GMs that do overpay (see: Skinner/Hayes) but they seem to get a pass....

Reactions: Papi 4 Hart

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007

I would love to see the team that offers them 5-6 million lol

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This is what i don't get on this site. people absolutely bash Dubas for "overpaying" Nylander/Matthews....but think Marner deserves 13 and Kap/Johnsson should get 5-6? I mean i guess there are GMs that do overpay (see: Skinner/Hayes) but they seem to get a pass....

From what ive seen on tv and on sites is that Flyers and Sabres GMs have been ripped apart for those signings

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Good question. I think maybe yes? Prospects attend prospect camps without contracts.

Don’t think these guys would though
I agree that's a bit of a stretch. But I could also see Dubas looking to pull a move like having them sign after they LTIR Horton. With Horton on the LTIR, everything fits under the cap as is with Marleau gone and maybe having to trade Connor Brown for a pick which I don't think hurts our roster at all (more that we have lots of AHL forwards that are pushing for spots, Brown is a good player and probably capable of a bigger role than he's been given here), so trading Zaitsev doesn't make any sense to me because we'll probably have to sweeten that deal for whoever takes him then we have to turn around and find a RHD that can play top 4 minutes

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Any offer sheet over 4.2 mils is worth a 1st and a 3rd. I highly doubt any GM would be willing to overpay those guys and part with a 1st and a 3rd.

I think you are overevaluating those.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

I am bashing Dubas for those signings, and I think that any GM which would give more than 4 to Kap/Johnson would be stupid. 4 would already be way too much..

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

in Toronto they get to play with Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and probably Marner. There is an extremely good cast of high end forwards in Toronto who will help increase their value on their next contracts. They may be able to get another $1-2 million via offersheet but they would be hard pressed to play with the same caliber of players elsewhere. They also will be seen as being overpaid if they put up ~40 points and are making $5 million.

imo kapanen and johnsson understand the situation in toronto. they did take team friendly deals but hopefully dubas/babcock will reward their loyalty and they dont get thrown under the bus like brown who imo also took a good deal at $2 million x 4 years.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I agree that's a bit of a stretch. But I could also see Dubas looking to pull a move like having them sign after they LTIR Horton. With Horton on the LTIR, everything fits under the cap as is with Marleau gone and maybe having to trade Connor Brown for a pick which I don't think hurts our roster at all (more that we have lots of AHL forwards that are pushing for spots, Brown is a good player and probably capable of a bigger role than he's been given here), so trading Zaitsev doesn't make any sense to me because we'll probably have to sweeten that deal for whoever takes him then we have to turn around and find a RHD that can play top 4 minutes

Just a quibble but I don't think it works that way. LTIR allows them to go over the cap. It doesn't keep them under it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->