LeBrun: Johnsson and Leafs closing in on extension (4 years, $3.4M AAV)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Gardiner and Myers are supposedly looking at 7x7. Shattenkirk got 6.65m. A bottom pair guy in Alzner got 4.625m. I'm sure there are others.
Gardiner and Myers are both WAY betetr D-man then Zaitsev.

Shattenkrik was also highly touted when he signed that contract (as a #2 d-man)

So yah, doesn't chaneg the fact Zaitsev su*ks and the Leafs are either going to be stuck with him, or needing to take an equally abd contract int he deal

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

So yah, doesn't chaneg the fact Zaitsev su*ks and the Leafs are either going to be stuck with him, or needing to take an equally abd contract int he deal

Actually, just being honest, Zaitsev wasn't awful during his rookie year. He was actually pretty decent. He's also been good during international play. Last year Zaitsev had a down year and looked awful at times. I could see why the Leafs don't want to dedicate 5+ mil of their cap to him, but he isn't a terrible defenseman, he's just overpaid by like 1.5 mil and shouldn't be expected to anchor a top paring. He's a rock solid #4 D.

And, the only area Gadiner is better than Zaitsev is in the offensive end. Defensively, Zaitsev is better and Gardiner is a complete train wreck.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

You said he was paid like a #3 - 4 though when he isn't. He's also 3.9m in real dollars after July 1st.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So not a done deal with him and Kappys deal then i assume?

All the talk last week was people saying its done

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

They haven't signed yet, but all the talking heads say it they are done deals. Though if have ever had an official agreement, it is not done till there is ink on the page.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I honestly wonder if these two get officially signed on the 1st day of the season to get the Leafs to cap compliance before they LTIR Horton

I dont see that happening. Players want that security and sign right away when a good deal comes their way. They wont play that game.

Marner situation is holding up this process of getting them signed and also will hold up the process of Dubas improving this team with UFAs if it goes past july 1st.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Actually, just being honest, Zaitsev wasn't awful during his rookie year. He was actually pretty decent. He's also been good during international play. Last year Zaitsev had a down year and looked awful at times. I could see why the Leafs don't want to dedicate 5+ mil of their cap to him, but he isn't a terrible defenseman, he's just overpaid by like 1.5 mil and shouldn't be expected to anchor a top paring. He's a rock solid #4 D.

And, the only area Gadiner is better than Zaitsev is in the offensive end. Defensively, Zaitsev is better and Gardiner is a complete train wreck.
Zaitsev has a cap hit of $4.5M.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wouldn’t they miss training camp then to not risk injuries without a contract ?
yes to the first, the second would be pretty low risk without being on the ice
I dont see that happening. Players want that security and sign right away when a good deal comes their way. They wont play that game.

Marner situation is holding up this process of getting them signed and also will hold up the process of Dubas improving this team with UFAs if it goes past july 1st.
I'd buy that too, but the Leafs like their cap loopholes too

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland

According to Bob McKenzie it's done but Leafs are waiting to see what's happening with Marner. Likely both will be signed before July 1st in the off chance someone offers them an offer sheet at just below $4.2 per season (they only give up a 2nd rounder then).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If there was ever summer where it OK to have RFA talks hold up your UFA plays it's this summer.

There aren't a ton of UFA Toronto needs except maybe a backup goalie.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Sorry, poor wording on my part. I meant that they would skip training camp to avoid injury since they didn’t have a signed deal.
ah I see. Can you attend camp without a contract? I guess that's a bit of a pickle

that said, Dubas has done things that weren't in the team's best interest to honour his commitment to players in the past - the Leivo trade is a good example, we got a guy back that is a long shot to be an NHL'er and the rumour is that Dubas committed to Leivo that he would trade him to a favourable situation if Babcock didn't make space on the roster for him if he signed an extension. So I wouldn't be surprised if Dubas told Kap/Johnsson that he would sign them if they got hurt if they wanted to come to camp.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If there was ever summer where it OK to have RFA talks hold up your UFA plays it's this summer.

There aren't a ton of UFA Toronto needs except maybe a backup goalie.

Ya true enough. I guess trades are the best option to improve the team so then cap space can hopefully be opened up

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Him and Kap arent signed. Still just rumored and speculation that deals have been agreed on

To be more to the point, the deals are likely done they are just waiting until Marner is resolved simply because they don't want a team to sign him to an offer sheet that the team can't match

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
It was said when the Kapanen deal first broke that it was contingent on getting the Marner contract settled. We can assume it's the same for the Johnsson deal. The paperwork is probably sitting on Dubas' desk right now and until he knows exactly where the cap stands (with a signed Marner) he's reluctant to officially eat the cap space.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Him and Kap arent signed. Still just rumored and speculation that deals have been agreed on

One of 3 things at work here. There can be only 3 scenarios. I don't know. But let's discuss them until they are signed.

1. Waiting to see how much money Marner is going to take off the cap before the Leafs can assure Kap and Johnsson getting a piece of the pie

2. Agents and players want to squeeze Dubas for more money. Let's remember Johnsson already declined one offer last April.

3. Or has an offer sheet entered the equation?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Bob McKenzie saying it's done is not a rumour or speculation.

IMO until a deal is actually signed, its just speculation/rumor. Them not officially signed leaves the potential for offer sheets or whatever.

People keep saying that it depends on Marner situation but what if Dubas has to pay more than he expects? Will he have to go back to AJ and Kap and say that this deal actually a no go now cause they had to pay more?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad