Johnson V Barker V Phaneuf V Bouwmeester

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mr Bugg said:
I realized you were right. Why in the hell didn't the Oil pick Schremp?

Schremp? PE-lease do not get me started on him. His stickhandling is nothing compared to Dustin Rose's. In fact, Schremp can't hold Rose's jock.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Dustin Rose once fought Vin Diesel. That is why we have the grand canyon.

As for this thread...

1. Bouwmeester
2. Johnson
3. Neufer

4. Barker (suspect attitude, but it is still insanely early.)

All 4 of these guys project to be stud #1's, but they are all extremely different players.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Dude, you guys have to stop this Dustin Rose stuff. Too funny. Then you brought up puck poise with Skoula, well let me just say that I have to go change an article of clothing.

You guys are too funny.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is a tough comparision since Bouwmeester has played (and played well) at the NHL level while Phaneuf and Barker are still in juniors and Johnson hasn't even played a year of college hockey. Right now it would be:

1) Bouwmeester

2) Phaneuf

3) Barker

4) Johnson

In the future, tough to say, although IMO, Bouwmeester will be another Niedermayer, a player who is good for many years before (potentially) getting recognized as the best at his position. I think Phaneuf is a much more complete prospect than Barker, who I'm not a big fan of. Still, they both deserve an objective eye once they hit the pros. As for Johnson, I'm a HUGE fan of his, but until he plays NCAA hockey next year, I lack an additional frame of reference for his developmental path. That being said, he combines many of the best attributes of both Barker and Phaneuf, and has the potential to be better than either.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Macho Man said:
remember that move Rose pulled on Gretzky at that fantasy camp last summer? S.I.C.K.

you have to admit, seeing Gretzky burst into tears like that in front of all of his fans, friends, and family was a little embarassing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
King'sPawn said:
The only problem with him is his youth development has been damaged.

Yeah, but the ban has given him time to persue his other passions. For example, he's currently in the Far East training to become Shogun. That kid is one AMAZING five year old.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
rt said:
you have to admit, seeing Gretzky burst into tears like that in front of all of his fans, friends, and family was a little embarassing.

Is that why Gretzky refuses to say that Rose could be the next one to break all his records?

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
Is that why Gretzky refuses to say that Rose could be the next one to break all his records?

No. it's just that Gretzky feels Rose's mean streak will get the best of him and he'll likely get suspended for life sometime in his teens.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Seriously how do people compare Jack Johnson in the same class as Boumeester or Phaneuf at this point, or even compare him to Barker......Phaneuf and Boumeester had dominant junior careers, they both had great world junior careers especially Phaneuf.
When Johnson plays in some big games or for more than 1 year in college hockey which i still feel is the 2nd tier junior option by a long ways....then he should be compared.

My rankings

Phaneuf
Boumeester
Barker
Suter
Coburn
Weber
Johnson

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Seriously how do people compare Jack Johnson in the same class as Boumeester or Phaneuf at this point, or even compare him to Barker......Phaneuf and Boumeester had dominant junior careers, they both had great world junior careers especially Phaneuf.
When Johnson plays in some big games or for more than 1 year in college hockey which i still feel is the 2nd tier junior option by a long ways....then he should be compared.

My rankings

Phaneuf
Boumeester
Barker
Suter
Coburn
Weber
Johnson
just to point this out ..
but Phaneuf breakout year was just after his draft year !

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

My rankings

Phaneuf
Boumeester
Barker
Suter
Coburn
Weber
Johnson
If you are going to use that as an argument we might as well ask why Phaneuf is being compared to JayBo

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Is that really any surprise? I'm pretty sure it was the Rose family that Dan Brown was referring to in The Da Vinci Code when he talked about the bloodline of Christ.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
Dude, one time, Dustin Rose quarterbacked the Toronto Argonauts to 32 conescutive Grey Cups, then retired to a career in professional bowling where he then bowled 4026 Perfect Games in a row. He is truly the greatest man to ever live, and that is why the capital of Canada is called Dustin Roseville to this day

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I thought Dustin Rose was busy curing cancer... But then there was this interview that corrected me.

"Curing Cancer?" Began the 6'10 prospect, in the middle of chewing his afternoon snack of nails and plutonium. "I said I was curing a cancer. Haven't you read the papers that Allison is claiming he's healthy now?"

Also, at this time...

Bouwmeester
Pitkanen
is one class...

Phaneuf
Johnson
Barker
is another class of prospects. It's really hard to compare them at this time until they at least play a game against the big boys.

Edit: added Barker to the appropriate list.

Last edited:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Here goes...

1. Phaneuf-Plays like a DEFENSEMAN should
2. Barker-Great offensive potential Has size to dominate
3. Bouwmeester-Still not seeing it from this guy. Good player-not great yet
4. Johnson-Not really fair to compare him until we see him as a pro.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
1a. Bouwmeester
1b. Phaneuf

These two are clearly ahead at this point, Barker and Johnson are a loooooong way behind them.

3. Barker
4. Johnson

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
borro said:
Here goes...

1. Phaneuf-Plays like a DEFENSEMAN should
2. Barker-Great offensive potential Has size to dominate
3. Bouwmeester-Still not seeing it from this guy. Good player-not great yet
4. Johnson-Not really fair to compare him until we see him as a pro.

A little consistency would be nice. Phaneuf and Barker aren't professionals either, yet in Phaneuf's case you rate him ahead of a player who has played well at the NHL level and represented Canada in international events at the senior level.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
1a. Bouwmeester
1b. Phaneuf

These two are clearly ahead at this point, Barker and Johnson are a loooooong way behind them.

3. Barker
4. Johnson

While I also rated Johnson fourth (since he hasn't played college hockey yet), he's not as far behind as you make him out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad