Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
2005-Jack Johnson
2004-Cam Barker
2003-Dion Phaneuf
2002-Jay Bouwmeester

Of the looks of it, the top defenceman in each of the last 4 draft classes. Project who'll have the best to worst NHL career. Who is better than the other and what puts him ahead or behind (Not in the present but for the next 15 years)?

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think that Bouwmeester will have the better career simply because he's got more natural talent then the other guys. He does not play a very physical came ala Phaneuf and I think that this is going to help him stay away from the injured list. I see Johnson as a franchise type defenseman also that will have a great career but not like Jay-Bo will dominate. Phaneuf is going to be a all around all star and will be great for the flames. Barker I think will also have a good career but not as good as the other 3.

1.Bouwmeester
2.Johnson
3.Phaneuf
4.Barker

The Joker*

Also, I'd like to point out that it's impossible to accurately compare a NHLer, to 2 drafted players, to a player that isn't even drafted yet.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oil3rs said:
Also, I'd like to point out that it's impossible to accurately compare a NHLer, to 2 drafted players, to a player that isn't even drafted yet.

Sure it is. Why not. You can compare their abilities (passing, offensive instincts, mean streaks, defensive positioning, shot power...). You can compare their upside and potential. In fact they are all born within a 3 year span. Non-drafted prospects are regularly compared to veteran NHLers whose game is similar.

A year ago a CBJ scout compared Ovechkin to Gordie Howe. A PGH scout compared Malkin's game to Jean Beliveau's. How many times have we heard "Crosby is the next Gretzky" or Pierre Mcguire saying Crosby is a Forsberg type player. So why can't we compare 4 "franchise" Ds who were drafted in consecutive years?

The Joker*

The Macho Man said:
Sure it is. Why not. You can compare their abilities (passing, offensive instincts, mean streaks, defensive positioning, shot power...). You can compare their upside and potential. In fact they are all born within a 3 year span. Non-drafted prospects are regularly compared to veteran NHLers whose game is similar.
Yes, but he asked who will have the best NHL career, how do you know they'll even have NHL careers? I ranked their potential/upside, but to say who will have a better NHL career is like asking who will get drafted 1st overall in 2018

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oil3rs said:
Yes, but he asked who will have the best NHL career, how do you know they'll even have NHL careers? I ranked their potential/upside, but to say who will have a better NHL career is like asking who will get drafted 1st overall in 2018

It's true you can't know for sure. But Drafting 18 year olds is exactly that: who will have the best career. That is what scouts do on draft day. They take all draft eligible prospects and pick the one they think will have the best career. That is essentialy a scout's job: projection.

Last year NYR too Montoya 6th because they projected him having a better career than Schwarz. Ditto with EDM picking Dubnyk at 14.

Projection is the name of the game. Otherwise there is little up for debate.

The Joker*

Oilers wasted their pick on Dubnyk IMO. Also, they're not only looking for a good NHL career, but leadership skill, grit, passion, typical Canadian attrributes.

But still, to predict who will have a better NHL career is just a guess, but I'm not saying it's a bad post or question or anything, just one that any moron could put the 4 in a random order and look like a genius in 10 years.

But I stick by this:

Bouwmeester
Johnson
Phaneuf
Barker

The Joker*

Mr Bugg said:
Let me guess, a Schwarz fan?

What's that got at all to do with Dubnyk?

On the note you're trying to get at, Deslauriers is a better goaltender than Dubnyk. They should have tried to pick up a defenseman or a big forward to make room for Hemsky.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Oil3rs said:
but to say who will have a better NHL career is like asking who will get drafted 1st overall in 2018

Sorry, that would be Dustin Rose's little brother, Richard. He's bigger and meaner.

At the age of 5, he's already 5'10. A little on the lean side (180 lbs) but give him a couple years to bulk up.

The only problem with him is his youth development has been damaged. He got in a fight with a 14 year-old during a midget game, and killed him. He's been suspended from all midget leagues.

But he's the surefire 1st overall in 2018.

The Joker*

King'sPawn said:
Sorry, that would be Dustin Rose's little brother, Richard. He's bigger and meaner.

At the age of 5, he's already 5'10. A little on the lean side (180 lbs) but give him a couple years to bulk up.

The only problem with him is his youth development has been damaged. He got in a fight with a 14 year-old during a midget game, and killed him. He's been suspended from all midget leagues.

But he's the surefire 1st overall in 2018.
Is this some sort of joke?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Another Midget player thought the Roses were a joke. He tried to high-stick Richard. Not only did he bite the end of the blade off and chew it into slivers, he spit them back in his face. Last I heard, that kid still looks like the guy from Hellraiser.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oil3rs said:
Is this some sort of joke?

No. No joke. You haven't heard of Dustin Rose yet? He is 6 feet 6 inches, skates like Pavel Bure use to, shoots like Rob Blake can only dream... he even has better puck poise than Skoula!... and he's only 16. give him the 2 years before he gets drafted to fill out and he ought to weigh around 240 by the time he gets to the big leagues.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I think Brodeur was in net for that one, too. It was so fantastic that everyone who witnessed it, including God, was made temporarily blind.

The Joker*

And what happened to our Dunbyk/Deslauriers/Schwarz conversation that you ignored

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oil3rs said:
I'm not sure if you assume I'm an idiot or something?

You're not an idiot. You just obviously haven't been witness to his INSANE puck poise yet. Just google Dustin Rose... he's in college already.

Trust me: nobody around here thinks you are an idiot. You are just obviously unimformed and ignorant about Dustin Rose and his brother Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->