Johnson/Kopitar slipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
What do we think the possibility is of Johnson slipping to no. 4? With Pouliot looking more and more like the 2nd overall, would teams pass up Johnson for Brule or Ryan?

Also, from what I've read as of late, Kopitar is generally considered no. 6. But he's a lot like Tukonen and he is Slovenian... can anyone see him falling further into the top 10 or even out of it?

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
BobMarleyNYR said:
What do we think the possibility is of Johnson slipping to no. 4? With Pouliot looking more and more like the 2nd overall, would teams pass up Johnson for Brule or Ryan?

Also, from what I've read as of late, Kopitar is generally considered no. 6. But he's a lot like Tukonen and he is Slovenian... can anyone see him falling further into the top 10 or even out of it?
Last time I heard it was Brule slipping and Johnson and Kopitar rising? :teach:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
It all depends on who picks where. I'd have to think that if teams like Calgary and Nashville, both with good, young defense got the 2 and 3 picks that they may be looking for an offensive forward. In that case I could definately see Johnson dropping to #4.

Red Machine

Mar 3, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Me too...Johnson and Pouliot are fighting for #2, speculation tells me anyway. I would slot Kopitar #4 overall, I see Marian Gaborik in this kid, i just have a feeling he will become a player like him. #5 overall, will be between Brule and Ryan. Some teams will love Brule's feistyness and scoring prowess. While some will dislike his size, and his discipline. Other teams will love Ryan's ablility to dangle through traffic, and power his way through bodys. While some will shy away, as his skating is just not up to par.

1. Crosby
2. Johnson
3. Pouliot
4. Kopitar
5. Brule
6. Ryan

also, i dont understand how Kopitar and Johnson could be falling. What have they been up to in the last week or two to all of a sudden drop a few spots?

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
More teams needs defence than don't, so odds are Johnson will go no.2.

This could be the first time in... well as long as I can remeber that there's a good chance a European won't be selected in the top 5. Stunning.

And with all the hoopla over Russia wanting more money from the NHL in transfer fees, its a good bet that no Russians will be taken in the first round. Even more stunning.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
it depends on what order teams pick...if the 2nd team needs a dman then they are picking johnson...

and teams don't go by ISS rankings or stuff like that, so changes in that mean less than nothing when it comes to who teams will actually pick.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Johnson could definetely slip to even 5th overall, but it depends how the lottery works.

Let's say Columbus gets #1, they'll take Crosby. And a team like Calgary gets #2, so they'll probably take Pouliot. Then, and the next two would be crucial, Vancouver gets 3rd overall. It's almost impossible for them to pass up picking Gilbert Brule. And then, finally, in 4th overall, Philly gets it, and Bobby Clarke will probably select Bobby Ryan. Then, Johnson slips to 5th.

Otherwise, can't see it happening. Not with Kopitar, either.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
BobMarleyNYR said:
Yeah, but teams like WSH would give a limb to trade up to 2nd to ensure drafting Johnson.

Eh I doubt it, we need a dmen like johnson as much as we need a potential 1st or 2nd line center...the capitals might trade up into the top 2 or 3 if need be, but I wouldnt say Johnson is the player the caps are desperately wanting...McPhee loves to draft guys from the 'dub and the fact that we need a center, Brule might be his pick...but that all really depends on where the Capitals end up in the draft order

IMHO Aulin, Klepis, Sutherby, and Bourque have a helluva alot more question marks then Eminger, Morrisonn, Yonkman, Green, and Cutta

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Can anyone actually tell me WHY Pouliot is considered for 2nd overall? What exactly did he do this year to rise so much? I've seen him between 6th and 8th last October, and now he's a top 3 pick. He wasn't even a ppg player, not an offencive machine. Yes he has size, and I think he is getting hyped because of it. Kopitar I understand why he came out of nowhere into the top 5. He was pretty unknown until last year and people just started to notice him, and in fact he has the most potential in this year's draft behind Crosby and many recognize that, but Pouliot? What did he do to merit being a top 3 pick? I know Brule slipped from a surefire top 3 into maybe even out of the top 5, but Pouliot confuses me. With the NHL striving to favor offencively gifted players, I'd take Kopitar, Ryan, Brule and even Skille ahead of Pouliot at this point, and I think in the end GMs will follow that trend. By the way, Kopitar might wind up as a lesser version of Jagr, but nothing like Gaborik. Kopitar has some skating issues, but he has the vision and smarts as well as great hands and finishing touch. He certainly won't be blowing past the defence though.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I believe it will go in this order

1. Crosby
2. Johnson
3. Kopitar
4. Pouliot
5. Ryan
6. Brule

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I think Brule has the potential to slip quite a bit on draft day. He probably won't, but he has certain characteristics that might make some teams wary. For example, if he falls to 6, the team picking 6th might prefer a safer pick like O'Marra or a d-man like Staal. You never know.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
BTW I think it will probably go like this (not my ranking though):

1. Crosby
2. Johnson
3. Pouliot
4. Ryan
5. Kopitar
6. Brule

Calgary_Moe

Jul 30, 2003
People, people... this is all academic right now. It'll totally depend on the team picking order and team needs. I could see Rask or Price going in the TOP 6 if the right team with need is there.

Moe

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I still think Brule should be picked #2 but based on reports by many credible sources, it looks like he'll fall out of the top 3 and maybe top 5.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
triggrman said:
I'd like to see Nashville get Johnson. I think Suter, Hamhuis, Johnson, Weber, Timonen, Zidlicky would make for a pretty good top 6.....

I think it would be kind of a waste at that point. Basically have top3/4 defenseman playing as #5/6 guys. It wouldn't give them enough icetime to really develop nor would it be fair to them...not getting a real chance. If anything, nashville should draft a large skilled center if one is available at their position.

gallagher

sjb3599 said:
I think Brule has the potential to slip quite a bit on draft day. He probably won't, but he has certain characteristics that might make some teams wary. For example, if he falls to 6, the team picking 6th might prefer a safer pick like O'Marra or a d-man like Staal. You never know.

I agree. If I had to pick one guy who will slip to the point where the announcers are saying, "This team HAS to take him!" it would be Brule. Last year it happened to Schwartz, and no one could really say why.

I just have a feeling that he'll be the one who slips 5-10 spots farther than most think he will.

I also think that Johnson is going 2d, unless the team that gets the 2 spot is Nashville or Chicago, or some other team that has a bunch of D prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad