Signing(s): Johnny Manziel signs with Hamilton (CFL)...then traded to MTL...now released

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
One interception wasn't Manziels fault. If you watch the press conference Johnny took full responsibility for his lackluster performance.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sounds like the CFL has kicked Johnny Manziel out of the league. Apparently he "contravened an agreement" that allowed him to play in the league (presumably related to domestic violence and/or substance abuse issues). Au revoir, Jean Football.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sounds like the CFL has kicked Johnny Manziel out of the league. Apparently he "contravened an agreement" that allowed him to play in the league (presumably related to domestic violence and/or substance abuse issues). Au revoir, Jean Football.

I for one am glad to see that sideshow gone. Als are likely better off to be honest. Pipkin showed alot more than Manziel last year, IMO.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
SVTEDYN.png

Three hours ago... even though the interview was surely earlier, but still quite funny.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I for one am glad to see that sideshow gone. Als are likely better off to be honest. Pipkin showed alot more than Manziel last year, IMO.

I agree. Manziel did improve towards the end of the season, but I didn't see anything to suggest he was going to become a legitimate starting QB in this league. He was probably a Brandon Bridge-level prospect; no great loss for the Als.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The guy clearly can't hack it as a pro. I want to say any league signing him would be doing it for the publicity, but then again Christian Hackenberg was signed and made a starter for 2 full weeks.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Curious as to what exactly contravened his contract. Did he sign in the AAF? He was due a signing bonus on March 1, so that explains the timing.

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
What a bum. Glad he's not in the CFL anymore but Montreal got fleeced now with that trade for him and now forced to release him.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It was a bad trade at the time and now it's event worse. You dont give up even a 1st for such an unproven player in the CFL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Lots of speculation why. Interesting it came the CFL and not from Montreal

I guess it's because the release didn't have much to do with the Als. AKA, he'd have been released, regardless of where he was playing.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Man Manziel must have realllllly pissed the league office off with whatever it is he did. If Ambroise is coming out and saying the league will not honor any contract given to Johnny then he clearly pissed on the agreement he and the commish agreed on months ago.

He'll go to the AAF and sucked there too. Christian Hackenburg can't even cut it in that league.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Lots of speculation why. Interesting it came the CFL and not from Montreal

It's worse coming from the league. Manziel had some type of agreement with the commission that he had to sign before joining a CFL roster. In theory, this means he did something really stupid where the head office straight up just deleted him from the league.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The League should intervene and limit the damage from the trade.

Umm what? Why? They pay a guy to make trades and they missed on this one big time. Not our problem: when it came to skill the writing was on the wall, Manziel was not going to be a star in this league,

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Umm what? Why? They pay a guy to make trades and they missed on this one big time. Not our problem: when it came to skill the writing was on the wall, Manziel was not going to be a star in this league,
If Montreal isn't helped by the League (the team is a mess), we may be down to 8 teams, again, and no one wants that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad