Signing(s): Johnny Manziel signs with Hamilton (CFL)...then traded to MTL...now released

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Glad he signed on. It's the only place to further his career at this time.

Guess we'll hear the terms soon but would be 2 years minimum since it's entry level.

Hope he doesn't think he's second coming. The starter's role is still Masoli's to lose IMO.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good idea to show NFL teams he still has it (and he does). It'll also show them he's serious about playing football again.

ESPN acknowledge there scoop came from Barstool, man that must've killed them :laugh:

Reactions: G F O P

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Good idea to show NFL teams he still has it (and he does). It'll also show them he's serious about playing football again.

ESPN acknowledge there scoop came from Barstool, man that must've killed them :laugh:

As in, Johnny was slumped over a barstool when he made the announcement?

If Manziel and the organization accept that he's a backup unless Masoli really lays an egg, this could work out ok. But the reality probably is that the first interception Masoli throws will immediately ignite a firestorm of "give Johnny the ball!" sentiment from everyone, June Jones included. Doubt this ends well.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As in, Johnny was slumped over a barstool when he made the announcement?

If Manziel and the organization accept that he's a backup unless Masoli really lays an egg, this could work out ok. But the reality probably is that the first interception Masoli throws will immediately ignite a firestorm of "give Johnny the ball!" sentiment from everyone, June Jones included. Doubt this ends well.
I don't think Manziel is coming without knowing that he would play.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Hamilton has been pretty consistent that Masoli would be the starter. I doubt Manziel starts the year behind center. If he were to play a year as the backup , honestly try to learn the game, work hard he might be a good CFL QB. As Kyle McMahon says, he likely gets thrown to the fire as soon as Masoli loses a game and will likely wash out just as quickly. We've seen this story time and time again. Big name NFLer comes up thinking he will dominate and get right back to NFL only to wash out very quickly. This is nothing new. It wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton with an old school NFL coach did guarantee him time, but it just shows how unprepared June Jones is for CFL. The idea that the CFL is a walk over is persistent despite being proven over and over again as these big name players fail out.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Hamilton has been pretty consistent that Masoli would be the starter. I doubt Manziel starts the year behind center. If he were to play a year as the backup , honestly try to learn the game, work hard he might be a good CFL QB. As Kyle McMahon says, he likely gets thrown to the fire as soon as Masoli loses a game and will likely wash out just as quickly. We've seen this story time and time again. Big name NFLer comes up thinking he will dominate and get right back to NFL only to wash out very quickly. This is nothing new. It wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton with an old school NFL coach did guarantee him time, but it just shows how unprepared June Jones is for CFL. The idea that the CFL is a walk over is persistent despite being proven over and over again as these big name players fail out.

wait wut? when did Johnny become a big name NFLer. he hasn't even started 10 games in the NFL. He is more of a big name TMZer imo..nothing but a distraction lol

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

You're probably right, and that's why this will probably end up being a disaster. A QB who showed reasonable promise and results last year in Masoli now goes into camp with the fear that his first mistake will probably cost him his job, in favour of a guy who has never played a down of CFL football.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I mean, I think this is about how seriously Manziel takes this. I think he does (or did) have NFL level talent, only question is if he's ready to work and really improve himself. Lot's of guys think they can take the CFL easy and get roasted, to me this is less a question of his talent as it is his professionalism..which has always been his problem to begin with.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I dislike Manziel but i think he realizes this is basically his last gasp at being a pro football player. He'll take it seriously enough otherwise his ass is gone.

You're probably right, and that's why this will probably end up being a disaster. A QB who showed reasonable promise and results last year in Masoli now goes into camp with the fear that his first mistake will probably cost him his job, in favour of a guy who has never played a down of CFL football.

And this sums up my problem with all of this. Hamilton was a dumpster fire last year and Masoli played admirably given the circumstances. Totally unfair to him.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I dislike Manziel but i think he realizes this is basically his last gasp at being a pro football player. He'll take it seriously enough otherwise his ass is gone.

And this sums up my problem with all of this. Hamilton was a dumpster fire last year and Masoli played admirably given the circumstances. Totally unfair to him.
Competition is never a bad thing. You also have to expect growing pains on Manziels' part. I highly doubt he steps right in And lights the league on fire. Johnny's been out of football for quite a long time.
He may never establish himself as the starter but if he shows something he will get an opportunity at some point.
Masoli maybe on a short leash but if Manziel turns out to be a better player how is this bad?
Best case you have two very capable starting quarter backs to evaluate.
It may also open up a trade scenario down the road to improve this team.
A lot of good players have guys looking over the shoulder and sometimes it makes them perform better.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Competition is never a bad thing. You also have to expect growing pains on Manziels' part. I highly doubt he steps right in And lights the league on fire. Johnny's been out of football for quite a long time.
He may never establish himself as the starter but if he shows something he will get an opportunity at some point.
Masoli maybe on a short leash but if Manziel turns out to be a better player how is this bad?
Best case you have two very capable starting quarter backs to evaluate.
It may also open up a trade scenario down the road to improve this team.
A lot of good players have guys looking over the shoulder and sometimes it makes them perform better.

Under normal circumstances I agree with everything you wrote.

But this has a completely different vibe. Manziel and his agent were still trying to get the CFL to waive their policy of 2-year entry level deals in favour of a 1-year deal up until a few days ago. This indicates to me that the Manziel camp certainly believed he could step right in and see a significant amount of reps. Now maybe they've changed their tune suddenly, but as GKJ suggested above, it seems more likely that the TiCats brass has at least unofficially told him he's going to get the ball at some point.

Regardless of what gets said publicly, Johnny is June Jones' guy. Hamilton has bent over backwards trying to bring him into the fold since last season. I'm not saying Jones is secretly hoping Masoli struggles in camp, but I do think he'll be on the world's shortest leash, which is unfair IMO.

I do hope I'm wrong and this works out for Hamilton though. A hypothetical scenario where Manziel has his head screwed on straight and blossoms into a star would be good press for the CFL, especially in southern Ontario.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The way I look at is the Tiger-Cats had the first pick overall in the 2018 CFL draft and selected the highly touted Heisman winning darling who dominated College football last year.
They just drafted Baker! He expected to compete or even replace last years stopgap veteran.
It's kind of similar. Fan base loves the shiny new toy with all the hype. Management wants to sell tickets. Most of the time these guys are better than what they already had. Now the difference is we already saw Johnny flameout with the Browns but the hype and publicity is similar. Expectations are nowhere near as high. He may not be any better than Masoli.
He may not work out at all. I doubt they keep Manziel around if he is a disaster. I can't see Johnny negatively affecting Masoli's development either.
So it appears Manziel is certainly the favored player which does make plenty of sense.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As for Manziel he was a joke who didn't take serious his NFL career and is a trainwreck off the field

Hamilton should have zero tolerance policy with him and if he acts up in locker room or off it he is gone

Also he should not be handed a job. If QB in Hamilton is better player and fit then he should be the guy and Manziel should be playing for a roster spot only at this point

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Did the NCAA fold up shop?

NFL > NCAA Football > CFL

Though an argument could be made that Texas High School football is better or at worst = CFL

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

That's a good one.

NCAA in terms of level of play is not on level with the CFL. CFL is made up of NCAA stars. Most NCAA can't make even CFL rosters. How does this crap keep coming up? It makes no sense. A CHL team is not beating an AHL team even if it has a 17 year old Crosby on it much like an NCAA is not beating a CFL team.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

That's a good one.

NCAA in terms of level of play is not on level with the CFL. CFL is made up of NCAA stars. Most NCAA can't make even CFL rosters. How does this crap keep coming up? It makes no sense. A CHL team is not beating an AHL team even if it has a 17 year old Crosby on it much like an NCAA is not beating a CFL team.
The CFL is definitely not made up of NCAA Division 1 stars.
Those guys normally get drafted by or sign with the NFL.
The best CFL players will leave for the NFL also.
The CF L is the second best professional football league.
NCAA is more talented. The CFL is still pretty much a cast off league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad