• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
How they compare the last 3 years.

Kessel

221 points and 83 goals in 246 games

Gaudreau

223 points and 72 goals in 231 games

If we narrow it down to the last 2 seasons, Kessel outproduces Gaudreau by 17 points (162>145) and outscores him by 15 goals (57>42) in 12 more games played (164>152)

By doing this though, we eliminate Kessel's first and weakest year as a penguin with 59 points in 82 games, and arguably Gaudreau's most impressive season with 78 points in 79 games.

A few more things to consider is Kessel being more reliant on the PP the past 2 years than Gaudreau (72>40) and if im not mistaken, playing mostly on the third line while Gaudreau plays on the first.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How they compare the last 3 years.

Kessel

221 points and 83 goals in 246 games

Gaudreau

223 points and 72 goals in 231 games

If we narrow it down to the last 2 seasons, Kessel outproduces Gaudreau by 17 points (162>145) and outscores him by 15 goals (57>42) in 12 more games played (164>152)

By doing this though, we eliminate Kessel's first and weakest year as a penguin with 59 points in 82 games, and arguably Gaudreau's most impressive season with 78 points in 79 games.

A few more things to consider is Kessel being more reliant on the PP the past 2 years than Gaudreau (72>40) and if im not mistaken, playing mostly on the third line while Gaudreau plays on the first.

Kessel also had tremendous playoff success in that stretch vs almost nothing for Gaudreau. That counts.

4 games 2 assists for Gaudreau
61 games, 19 goals 35 assists 54 points for Kessel

I pick Kessel for playoffs. He also had the better regular season last year

OP is whose better "right now". I don't really see an argument for Gaudreau based on results.

Reactions: Freedom and Felidae

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
OP is whose better "right now". I don't really see an argument for Gaudreau based on results.

Maybe but what do you think if they swap team?

IMO, Gaudreau numbers will go up and Kessel down

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Gaudreau would do better than Kessel with Malkin and Crosby.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel only has better numbers because of the PP he plays on.

Kessel is the straw that stirs the drink on that powerplay unit, so I'm not exactly sure why you're trying to discredit him here.

I also don't get the claims of Kessel getting inflated production by playing with Crosby and Malkin. Do people forget he was a 1 man show on Toronto for like 7 years, where he consistently put up gaudy numbers? This isn't James Neal we're talking about here.

Reactions: Freedom

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Equal playmakers, Kessel's a better shooter.

Gaudreau at some point when age catches up to Phil, but right now I'd say Kessel.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Kessel is the straw that stirs the drink on that powerplay unit, so I'm not exactly sure why you're trying to discredit him here.

I also don't get the claims of Kessel getting inflated production by playing with Crosby and Malkin. Do people forget he was a 1 man show on Toronto for like 7 years, where he consistently put up gaudy numbers? This isn't James Neal we're talking about here.

Yeah he’s obviously great on the PP he put up half his points on the PP, but obviously playing with Crosby and Malkin inflates his numbers.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Gaudreau is a better player. Not by a lot, but it's not hard to tell either who can dominate a game more.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah he’s obviously great on the PP he put up half his points on the PP, but obviously playing with Crosby and Malkin inflates his numbers.

Just saying that doesn't make it true, though. He has proven in the past that he doesn't need elite talent to put up big numbers, so trying to discredit his production based on Crosby and Malkin doesn't make any sense.

I'd probably say Gaudreau is better, but the difference isn't big. Kessel is a 70 point player on any team IMO, I think Gaudreau is a 75 point player. I voted Kessel at first without thinking about it enough, but I'd say they're very close.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I haven't watched that many regular season games of his in recent seasons, but in Toronto Kessel definitely could produce at a high rate playing on a top line and without an elite centre on his team, and he strung together three consecutive seasons in which he was a top 10 scorer. Gaudreau has one finish in the top 10 in scoring so far.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
One plays on a team that has had a top 5 PP for basically the last 6 or so years one doesnt almost half of Kessel's pt totals were on the pp. 5 on 5 Gaudreau is better and faces top competition while Phil has always been sheltered in Pit.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

'15-'16 was also during Mike Johnston's reign of terror. You know, the coach who was so bad people started questioning whether Sidney MFin' Crosby was done.

He’s obviously not better than Crosby or Malkin.

On the PP he is.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Gaudreau is very easily the better playmaker. Like, it's not even close.

Gaudreau the past 4 seasons:

Kessel the past 4 seasons:

Except for the second year, their assist totals are pretty close. And that's with Kessel playing a big portion of his time in Pittsburgh with either Bonino or Sheahan at ES.

If you want to say Gaudreau's better, go for it. But to say "not even close" is silly. Kessel is a very good playmaking winger.

Now as for goal scoring, that's "not even close" in Kessel's favor.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Gaudreau the past 4 seasons:

Kessel the past 4 seasons:

Except for the second year, their assist totals are pretty close. And that's with Kessel playing a big portion of his time in Pittsburgh with either Bonino or Sheahan at ES.

If you want to say Gaudreau's better, go for it. But to say "not even close" is silly. Kessel is a very good playmaking winger.

Now as for goal scoring, that's "not even close" in Kessel's favor.
Kessel 114 powerplay points past 4 year. Gaudreau 82 past 4 years. Playing with crosby and malkin on the powerplay would inflate it quite a bit. Gaudreau is the better playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->