Johnny Gaudreau pulled from game after hit to the head

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
HYQm5mI.gif

How about defensive players be responsible for not charging a guy whose back is turned, then following through while his head is down? You want stupid dangerous hockey, go back to the 90s. How the actual **** is he supposed to "protect himself" from McAvoy as he's avoiding the ****ing net and goalie at the exact same time? But of course Gaudreau can magically avoid literally everything at once, while poor dumb**** McAvoy can't even let up on a single target as he derps toward him like a brain damaged goat.

1.) McAvoy was sliding on his belly, then gliding on leftover momentum. This is in no way a charge.

2.) He protects himself by getting his guard up first, before doing pirouettes on the goal line. Or by electing to turn left and look over his left shoulder instead of opening his body to the center of the ice. If he'd done that, then McAvoy would have had no choice but to let him go or board him.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Head is definitely principle point of contact so 1 game at least!!!
McAvoy quite literally shoves him to the ice while he is staring at the puck/ice. The end result is bad but there is absolutely nothing to the play.

The outrage makes sense as it's a Calgary star player but understand the outrage is at the result not the play.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
On track for a shoulder to shoulder hit yet somehow hits him in the head... didnt know JG magically grew 5 inches when he was looking for the loose puck...

It's not a height thing, it's about proximity to McAvoy. Gaudreau's shoulder is closer to McAvoy than his head, until he opens up. At that point he's essentially leading with his face, as well as dropping his center of gravity to push towards the puck again. They're meeting halfway, it shouldn't fall entirely on the shoulders of the defenseman in a scenario like that or else there is quite simply little point in coaching physical crease clearance. The costs have grown far too steep for the potential benefit.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I am. Never was a fan of the finishing your check mentality at all. Except in video games.
Fair enough. I too expect a defenseman to finish their check and not leave the superstar next to your net waiting for the puck to come back (while staring at it!).

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
It's a play that I don't want my own team's D to take ever. The puck was away and he targeted the head. A hit made to hurt with no other value at all.

What the hell do you think hits are supposed to do ? Tickle ? What do you think "finish your hit" is supposed to mean ? There are two reasons to hit, one is to separate the attacking player from the puck, the other is to hurt, sorry to burst the bubble for you there. And if you can accomplish both in one clean hit that's great.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I saw it live and it didn't look dirty. Replays may show something different. Hopefully it's just precautionary and he'll be o.k.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
It doesn't matter if there wasn't malicious intent. It's a forearm shiver to the head. It's a dangerous play and should be suspendable.

If this happened to Petterson or Boeser us Canucks fans would be livid.

No I wouldn't. I was more pissed off that the Canucks didnt do anything to stick up for Pettersson than I was for the actual hit.

This hit in particular was just an unfortunate accident. I dont see anything suspendable here at all.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Fair enough. I too expect a defenseman to finish their check and not leave the superstar next to your net waiting for the puck to come back (while staring at it!).
I get that. Happening since forever in hockey. Still not a fan. Tangling up the player, if the puck comes back, is another option.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think that is a suspension but McAvoy should be getting a warning. Absolutely did not play the puck on that play, that was a bit ridiculous.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he didn't have to elbow his head. should be suspended. there is no excuse for that. I didn't see McAvoy's partner bash his head . he stopped. they were out of danger.

suspension pls

Reactions: stampedingviking

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You know what, it may even just be I saw two flames fans on one page and only read one page so the percentage looked higher
:laugh: maybe. Generally I have those types of posters on ignore, so I wouldn't have even seen posts like that.

But, I know I seemed to have a similar opinion to most regarding Pettersson, the hit was fine, but slamming him to the ice was not a hockey player and deserved supplemental discipline. I just wasn't sure if there were any comparable incidents where a guy used a uranage to take down his opponent out of frustration.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Seeing that angle he's looking right at him and follows through the hit with his upper body. That's the part that I take issue with. Definitely worse than I thought seeing it live. Not sure if it is suspendable given it's the NHL and what's good today is bad tomorrow and vice versa but yeah, I'd be pissed if that was a player on my team.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Seeing that angle he's looking right at him and follows through the hit with his upper body. That's the part that I take issue with. Definitely worse than I thought seeing it live. Not sure if it is suspendable given it's the NHL and what's good today is bad tomorrow and vice versa but yeah, I'd be pissed if that was a player on my team.

Until the new NHL really ruins itself and removes all physicality this angle actually shows nothing done wrong. He throws Gaudreau to the ice through the body with head staring at the ice so some chin contact is made. If McAvoy did NOT make the hit he'd be in trouble for his job. We are getting soft and judging everything on result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad