Johnny Gaudreau in Philly

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Johnny Gaudreau, aka Johnny Hockey, grew up a Flyers fan and would like to play in Philly again, someday.

“Yeah it’d be sweet,†Gaudreau told the 94WIP Morning Show when asked about potentially playing for the Flyers.

“I’ve got a ton of family here, all my friends — I actually have a wedding this week here in South Jersey. All my friends come back here, all my good friends, and kids that I’ve played with my whole life are from South Jersey. So, it would be sweet to play here some day. You know you never know in sports, but it’s a lot of support back here in South Jersey and the Philly area.â€
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/07/21/johnny-gaudreau-sweet-flyers/

So, do you wanna see Johnny in Philly? If you do, then how would you acquire him?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Would love to have the kid on our team, but unfortunately it would cost too much to bring him here.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
He'd be awesome in the O&B but that's about it.

The assets to aqcuire him will be to valuable going forward. Flames would (rightfully) ask for the moon.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He's definitely not coming here via trade and when he is a UFA he'll probably be asking a pretty penny. But yeah obviously I think we'd all love him here.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
You never know. It could happen but Calgary would have to go into the dumps in the next year or two for them to even entertain the thought of moving him.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Pretty much the same situation as Cherry Hill, NJ's own Bobby Ryan...would love to have him, but I'd wait for him to hit UFA and then hope for a hometown discount.

I wouldn't get in a bidding war for him, let alone overpay for him in FA. I definitely wouldn't trade for him unless it something dumb, along the lines of Brouwer for Oshie/Erat for Forsberg.

edit: FWIW I do think the Bobby Ryan ship has passed. I wouldn't take him on for what he makes.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Gaudreau had a quote the other day about seeing the Flames as contenders for 3 years (I think that's generous saying they even are such but we'll see). Takes him to age 27, still under contract for 2 years. Our window takes over then.....

We have all these assets accumulating, year after year, and it's going to continue. If things turn out half as good as we hope, there's still maybe too many good young players, not enough spots in the near distant future. Doesn't have to be Gaudreau, but the Flyers are being set up to make a trade, when they contend, for some needed star player in their prime for picks/prospects/young players. Best part is we wouldn't even be mortgaging the future because there is simply so much young talent coming in regardless. Doubt that will stop either, even when we contend. Hextall is a classic hoarder.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
1. Meh.
2. Macdonald at healf retained, Fazleev, Leier and a 6th.

Deal?

To clarify, sure, it would be nice to have him but considering everything else going on in development, our relatively small (stature) roster, and the state of the east, this idea doesn't deserve a greater level of analysis. IF we can get him cheap, i.e., as a UFA that doesn't cost us resigning some upcoming talent, sure. Then let's us use the assets to add complementary pieces.

Otherwise, no thanks. I'm not for giving up Myers or Sanheim or Frost or someone like that plus a couple 1st/2nds to grab him. I'll take my chances with the current path.

Last edited:

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
For free? Sure, he'd transform our offense. For the price CGY would realistically ask? No thanks.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's not really a feasible trade right now. The Flyers best tradeable assets are defensemen and Calgary is pretty well set there. It wouldn't make much sense for them to trade Johnny for futures anyway since it looks like they are in win now mode. Seems like he's a guy you trade for once his contract gets close to expiring and Calgary looks to go in a different direction.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
What would need to happen is for Calgary's current rebuild to go down the toilet. They would need several seasons with no progress and likely a regime change over there with the intent to blow everything up. The Flyers, at the same time, would have to be at a point where Hexy feels that they're a piece or 2 away from being a cup-winning team and would be willing to trade with prospects and picks. And considering how passive he's been as a GM, it's hard to envision his mentality changing for at least 2-3 years.

Well, that, or he signs with the Flyers when he's in his late 30s just so he can finally say he played for them. I'd prefer the first scenario.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Unless Calgary is a mess in 2-3 years, we'll have to wait until free agency. He might be the exact type of player their looking to acquire at that time though.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Would love to have him come here in one of those situations we always see for guys who want to "go home". Like Suter, Parise, Shattenkirk. Would love him on a discount UFA deal when his contract is up if hes still chugging along

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad