Johnny Boychuk

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Underrated, slightly overpaid.

Damn good D man, unfortunately still probably the first to go if we make room for the kids

Boychuk is not overpaid in the least. On the open market he gets at least 5 mil a season, maybe more

It is hard to say whether Boychuk is over or underrated, because it seems the opinion on him varies so wildly.

Last year when Edmonton picked Nurse #6 (I think), the announcers compared him to a young Johnny Boychuk.

On the other hand some people clearly view him as an overpaid player, or a #5 defenseman

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
As much as I love Boychuk my ideal pairings next year are:

Chara - Hamilton
Krug - Seidenberg
McQuaid - Bartkowski

(please forgive the sides). That leaves no room for Boychuk. He's too expensive to play 3rd pairing minutes but I'm hoping we do a Defensive guy with an offensive guy. That money can be used else where (and maybe some form of return if we can trade in the offseason for 1 year of Boychuk).

I love Boychuk though so if they can figure out another way to do it I'm all for it. I fear Boychuk and Seids together a bit and want Hamilton with Chara so I'm at a loss (next year by the way)

member 96824

Boychuk is not overpaid in the least. On the open market he gets at least 5 mil a season, maybe more

It is hard to say whether Boychuk is over or underrated, because it seems the opinion on him varies so wildly.

Last year when Edmonton picked Nurse #6 (I think), the announcers compared him to a young Johnny Boychuk.

On the other hand some people clearly view him as an overpaid player, or a #5 defenseman

Scottie Upshall got a 4 year 3 and a half million dollar deal the open market, so forgive me if I don't gauge that as what determines if a player is overpaid or not :laugh:

But yeah...Boychuk is rock solid no doubt, the pinches are much more under control now which was a big issue in his game. Just a little rich for me contract wise, that's all

Bi Coastal Bawse*

As much as I love Boychuk my ideal pairings next year are:

Chara - Hamilton
Krug - Seidenberg
McQuaid - Bartkowski

I don't get all the Bartkowski love. What has he done to move Boychuk out of the line up?

Nada

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Johnny had an abysmal game against St. Louis. He just couldn't make a play out of the defensive zone. He must have turned it over at least 5 times - right onto a Blues player's stick.

He wasn't very good against NYR either, though really no one was. I think this is more of an anomaly though and I'm not concerned.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't get all the Bartkowski love. What has he done to move Boychuk out of the line up?

Nada

Something to consider...Bartkowski is 25. At that same age JB was a very good AHL d-man in PRO that could not even get a gig as a 7th d-man at the NHL level (that would come the following year). So, in the eyes of B's management, Bart could be ahead of Boychuk on the development curve?

Perspective.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Nada

The kid has played very well for a guy who`s sat and watched a ton of hockey then called upon. Between him and Johnny B, it`s Boychuk who`s made the most mistakes recently...doesn`t mean I`d push JB out...just saying, and as Glory stated, only 25 years old

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Nada

More thinking that 3.5 is too much for a team that relies on depth to play as a third pairing Dman but as I said I can be easily persuaded. I'm not trying to "bump" Boychuk I'm thinking more asset management.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
:laugh: Sorry, what now? Johnny Boychuk is a depth third-pairing defenseman?

Was a reference to my preferred/ideal (pending play the rest of the year) pairings for next year above. I think Chara/Hamilton, don't think Seidenberg and Boychuk fit as a pair (so I put Krug there) and then that leaves the third pair.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
:laugh: Sorry, what now? Johnny Boychuk is a depth third-pairing defenseman?

Agreed:
If they EVER trade JB, it would be extremely difficult to get another d-man back with the same game if they needed one. Hitting, passing in game awareness and IQ, he is the package. I've got nothing against Bart but does he have the same attributes beyond a very good head on his shoulders?
I hate that it comes down to this, and I know that it's normal but why do (some) people have to crap all over a great Bruin for pie in the sky? Now, if they traded him to say a last place team for a first rounder that's one thing but until that happens I stand pat with what I've got a while longer. Once you trade a guy like Manchuck you'll never get him back.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Something to consider...Bartkowski is 25. At that same age JB was a very good AHL d-man in PRO that could not even get a gig as a 7th d-man at the NHL level (that would come the following year). So, in the eyes of B's management, Bart could be ahead of Boychuk on the development curve?

Perspective.

That's not really a reason for Bart to bump Boychuk out of the lineup though.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto

Perspective.

2 very different players though. Bart will never provide the physical element Boychuck does.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
the best part about Boychuk is he has amped it up and played his best in the playoffs. That and his crushing open ice hits. Too bad his hockey sense isn't better but he is a fun player.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Man hes not a Norris candidate but we have a high end 2nd pairing D man who hits and steps it up in the playoffs. Hes a big part of the teams identity.

Im very happy to ride out his low/reasonable contract. Sort of see him leaving as a FA like Ference when its up but until then I'm very glad we have him.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Just like pitching in baseball, you can never have too many NHL defencemen and teams will over pay for a good defencemen. I don't trade to make space for a young player, some team could see the Bruins position and offer us a good deal for Bartkowski or Boychuk. I think that I would trade McQuaid first before Boychuk however, I love McQuaid but he has been hurt often and only play's bottom pairing minutes.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I love Boychuk, my only problem with him is he can't seem to handle the puck with his head up. He's always looking straight down at the puck before he makes a pass, sometimes that's what causes his turnovers.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I love Boychuk, my only problem with him is he can't seem to handle the puck with his head up. He's always looking straight down at the puck before he makes a pass, sometimes that's what causes his turnovers.

Well, at least the players he goes up against don't have any more than 2 seconds to handle the puck with their heads down. :yo:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Perspective.

...I don't follow that at all. It's taking two completely different scenarios and trying to pin them against one point.

I go back and forth on Boychuk. He'll get into stretches where he is a Grade A solid, physical, smart defenseman but he definitely has bad games. I still think he's pretty unique and is one of the B's only open ice threats, hit wise. Bartkowsi has been satisfactory but I'm failed to be convinced he's a definite for the future.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Boychuk is our #3 D-man. But with Dougie coming along the team may see him as expendable but we will see.

Boychuk would likely be a top pairing shut down guy on many NHL teams.bruins depth may make him expendable but not sure I would rush to move him until I felt confident the depth was ready to step in and fill his shoes.

I think Dougie more than any of the other D-men is who makes Boychuk expendable.

A part of me thinks Mcquaid may be gone befor Boychuk.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
...I don't follow that at all. It's taking two completely different scenarios and trying to pin them against one point.

I go back and forth on Boychuk. He'll get into stretches where he is a Grade A solid, physical, smart defenseman but he definitely has bad games. I still think he's pretty unique and is one of the B's only open ice threats, hit wise. Bartkowsi has been satisfactory but I'm failed to be convinced he's a definite for the future.

If Boychuk was more consistent he would be a top level shutdown guy in the NHL. He is certainly a solid 3rd guy on a cup team, maybe a number 2 on a good team.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Boychuk is a solid, second pairing defensemen who steps it up in the playoffs. It should never been understated just how important he has been for this team in the playoffs since he's been here. No other Bruin in recent memory has had more series changing hits on superstar players than Boychuk.

Another reason to keep Boychuk? He's a RH shot and it's a cannon. He's the second best RH shot among our blueline.

It shouldn't be Bart vs Boychuk as far as who to keep but Bart vs McQuaid. With the way Bart is playing, you can't take him out of the lineup. He's not as flashy as Krug, but his play has warranted him a spot on the third pairing: 5 points, 28 hits in just 11 games and zero PP time.

You let Morrow develop in Providence and guys like Miller come in as injury replacements like he's doing now. No need to change things just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->