Johnny Boychuk

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Same, gotta love his open ice hitting as well. Hoping he stays in Boston, but unfortunately it might not happen if the cap doesn't go up a lot.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Yeah, I'm not sure what his future is in Boston. Would definitely hate to see him go.

He's one guy that when I talk to fans of other teams, they always manage to mention how good Seidenberg and Boychuk are and how lucky we are to have those two guys. With the blueline as active as it's been so far this season, it only has made both of them look even better.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Like Ference last year, after this season the B's will likely have to make a hard decision about Boychuk. With Bartkowski on the verge and potentially Morrow ready after him (as well as Trotman/Miller), something has to give.

IMO, the only question on Boychuk is whether they let him walk this off season (if they don't think Bart is ready yet) or trade him at the deadline (if Bart is ready). I could be wrong and the B's could move another player (McQuaid), but not sure they can afford both Boychuk and Sides?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
a shut down d man who is capable of shutting down superstars. resign is inevitable. i sitll say they will move bartowsk. boychuck is way to valuable as a bruin to trade him. bruins boast one of the best defence in the nhl. why change whats not broken?

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My bad, Boychuk is signed through 2015 not 2014.

They still have a hard decision, and I think because of the $$$ and re-signing Sides, JB is going to get moved eventually.

Who knows though?

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I would move Bart before Boychuk. If they trade Kelly this off season and the cap goes up Boychuk can stay. More of a logjam in forward than in defense.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would move Bart before Boychuk. If they trade Kelly this off season and the cap goes up Boychuk can stay. More of a logjam in forward than in defense.

Bart (25) - better skater, cheaper

Boychuk (30 in Jan) $3.4 mil, wasn't super impressed last year until playoffs (nor this year so far).

There is almost as much of a logjam at D as there is for 3rd-4th line forwards. Morrow looks like he is this year's Krug, and may be knocking on the door soon. There are other guys like Trotman and Miller who really impressed this preseason. You can't keep everybody forever, and if they get the right offer for JB, I think they would move him.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Would hate to see Boychuk go, he's a great Bruin. Throws the best open ice hits and has an absolute bomb of a shot, especially during the playoffs. Will also miss hearing Jack Edwards scream "Johnny Rocket!!!" every time he gets a good shot in.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He's always been there for us. Really hope we don't have to lose him. He's just such a huge guy all around. Character, tough, chips in offensively, very sound defensively, logs 20+ minutes, can play on the first pairing... Really just a guy you can't lose. I think he really likes it here. We've seen guys take discounts to stay here and I'm sure he would. At least I hope so.

Unfortunately with Hamilton, Morrow, Krug, Bart, and Miller/Trotman as well, there might not even be an option for him to take a discount. Really hope that's not the case, he would be missed big time.

DntPokeThaBear

Apr 10, 2013
Massachusetts
Johnny Boychuk very underrated?

Anyone else feel this way? He's one of my favorite players on the team because I absolutely love his game. If you really watch him play, he does so many little things right. I think he's one of the best hitters in the game and brings a kind-of old school play to the team. I like his grit and toughness too. Not afraid to block a shot or take the body.

Makes small mistakes but what player does't. I feel Boychuk is underrated by a lot and looked at as "disposable" (at least by a lot of people I talk too... maybe I need new friends lol).

Career stats: 266 GP, 15 G, 41 A, and a +67.

Any of you have anything to say about this guy? He's an integral part of the team and a core member as well. Go B's!!

Bi Coastal Bawse*

One of my favorites seems to always be someone to blame on defense for some fans.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I completely agree with you. I don't think Boychuk gets the respect he deserves. He might be our best pure open ice hitter and he plays a rock solid defensive game, and has nice hard shot. He is a very valuable member of the team that would be very difficult to replace.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If you need a guy to clear the puck on a PK, there is no one better than Boychuk.

DntPokeThaBear

Apr 10, 2013
Massachusetts
Looks like some agree with me lol. Hopefully they resign him. Tough with the cap but with Chara's career waining down it will be interesting to see what happens. Live Chara but I think he's starting to slow down

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think he has come a long way since 2009/2010 season.

He is a solid player and IMO one of the best open ice hitters in the league. He could teach a clinic.

member 96824

Underrated, slightly overpaid.

Damn good D man, unfortunately still probably the first to go if we make room for the kids

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad