Johnny Bower question..

leftyhiggins

Aug 3, 2008
In the 69/70 season, Bower played just one game (a loss, 5-GA) then retired.
What were the circumstances surrounding this? Was it early in the season? Was it injury?
Was it because there were 3 other goalies in the mix for the Leafs and Bower had enough? Was it because they were going after (and aquired) Plante? Did Bower then become goaltender coach or a scout after? Have I answered my own questions? :laugh:

I thought it was odd (and probably disappointing for Bower) to play just the one game that year.

Thanks,
Chris

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I cant remember. But if I remember correctly that game made him the 2nd oldest NHL player in history after Gordie Howe to play a game until Chelios broke it. Bower would have been 45 that year. He was well on his way to the HHOF then.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
From what I've been able to piece together from newspaper archives: The plan was that Bruce Gamble would be the #1 goalie, Marv Edwards would be the backup, and Bower would be on the roster to step in in case the other goalies were injured or slumping.

The game he played was a 6-3 loss to Montreal on Dec. 10 (one of the goals was an empty-netter, so Bower only had 5 GA). Toronto led the game 3-2 until the 3rd period when everything collapsed, though the newspaper reports indicate it was as much the defence's fault as Bower's. Bower admitted that while he thought his relexes were fine, he felt tired in the third period.

The Leafs were still planning on using him to give Gamble a rest from time to time, but in late-December Bower strained a ligament in practice and couldn't skate for awhile. When he returned to practice in March, he noticed that he couldn't keep up with the other players when skating and decided that it was time to retire.

leftyhiggins

Aug 3, 2008
Great stuff, reckoning.
Do you know if he wore the mask in that Dec.69 game? ..and do you know if he started wearing the mask the season before?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
It looks like he's wearing a mask in the picture from the game (dec11/69 Globe&Mail pg.40), but it's grainy and tough to tell for sure.

He was definitely wearing it for Leaf practices.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
It looks like he's wearing a mask in the picture from the game (dec11/69 Globe&Mail pg.40), but it's grainy and tough to tell for sure.

He was definitely wearing it for Leaf practices.

That was his face!:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad