John Tortorella is not happy with Pierre Luc-Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Disgraceful effort; he should be ashamed as a man and as a professional.

PLD owes his teammates an apology and should hold himself accountable. Do not give 2 shits what his issues are with a coach or with management or with the city; you don't let your teammates down like that. He's clearly not there yet and might not ever. 22 going on 12.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
there are so many pages. what did he do? didnt he just ask for a trade?
sorry if this has been answered already. but yes PLD leaving CBJ will really hurt the team. why is it not a good look for PLD?
PLD wants out of Columbus for reasons unknown. It doesn't appear he is giving 100% on the ice - which may hurt his trade value. Not good for anyone.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Is Torts ever really happy? The guy has passion there is no question about that but passion can manifest into being a complete asshole quite quickly. Every team he goes to shit starts hitting the fan in one way or another.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I know that I've never coasted in my job even for a few minutes...

did you do it on purpose out of spite because they wouldn’t transfer you to the Montreal head office when you requested it? So you got upset and gave up on everyone around you?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I think there's some similarities between Lecavalier and Dubois and maybe Tortorella feels the same and is trying to get the best out of him. The difference seems to be that Dubois doesn't see it the same way and is reacting differently than Lecavalier did

Im not sure Dubois is acting any different than Vinny did. Vinny didn't want to play for Torts and was very resistant to the change when Tortorella stepped into the picture. At the time of his trade request 20 years ago, he was getting skewered by some, just like Dubois is now. He's lazy, he's inconsistent, he doesn't play hard or show enough effort, he doesn't care about winning, he's just a young kid interested in his money, etc. Obviously that's not the perception we as fans hold of him today. Quite the opposite, as his #4 hangs from the rafters of Amalie Arena as a player & person that is celebrated and remembered as a great representative of the franchise.

Back then though Vinny was a training camp hold out, Torts sat him out games because of his conditioning, benched him, called him out publicly, and stripped him of his captaincy which he had been given by a previous head coach. We had veterans trying to guide him in the right direction off the ice as he struggled and didn't play well on it. It was very much publicized that the 2 had a rocky relationship and were not on the same page. That trade was very very close to happening. Obviously things changed and we remember all the good times that came later, but that doesn't mean that there weren't bad ones. In this case, potentially disastrous ones.

Last edited:

thammias

Feb 8, 2006
Do you guys have any examples of Dubois being lazy and/or pathetic? Is this really a case of Dubois (who happens to be CLB best player) really not wanting to play or Torts being Torts?

Who is being unreasonable? is it 50/50?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
True. And Jarmo is also paid to do a job and one of them was to trade PLD, yet he doesn't. Tort is paid to get the best out of his players, yet he doesn't. You are okay with their failures but not with PLD's. Interesting. Tort started a public mud slinging contest and invited media scrutiny where none was needed, that's apparently totally fine? Interesting.

Jarmo's job isn't to trade PLD. It's an option he has available, but certainly isn't obligated to do so.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Knowing the little that we do know, Torts seems the least at fault here.

Jarmo has sat on this trade request for months. He could have flipped the kid for crazy value after the playoff run he had. He's had no reason to drag his feet like this.

Dubois is acting like a petulant child and is completely dogging it. You have a contractual obligation to play, and you also owe it to your teammates to battle alongside them too. He won't even give an effort for his best friend (Bjorkstrand).

And Torts is left with the professional and media fallout.

Dude can only coach the talent that is provided to him, and if someone is refusing to buy in, he is obligated to send a message. It's unfair to the other 17 skaters on lines 1-4 to give Dubois 20 minutes a night given the way he is playing.

Seems like a lot of people are just jumping on this opportunity to bury Torts because they have an axe to grind with him for various other reasons.

Last edited:

Brownies

Jarmo's job isn't to trade PLD. It's an option he has available, but certainly isn't obligated to do so.
I keep thinking of Sakic and Duchesne whenever people think CLB has to trade Dubois in the next few days. It is really important trade decision/trade that will greatly affect the franchise, you don't rush it Houle-Patrick Roy style.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah if I was PLD's teammate I'd be furious with that effort. There's having a bad shift making poor puck decisions and not skating hard enough to defend your man and there's this. Going out there just to say you were there until you get to sit again.

When you think of bad nights or lazy play in the NHL, this isn't the kind of lazy play you usually see. It's like he was trying to be bad.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If that's the line you want to go with, giving 100% is an option.

Knowing the little that we do know, Torts seems the least at fault here.

Jarmo has sat on this trade request for months. He could have flipped the kid for crazy value after the playoff run he had. He has had no reason to drag his feet like this.

Dubois is acting like a petulant child and is completely dogging it. You have a contractual obligation to play, and you also owe it to your teammates to battle alongside them too. He won't even give an effort for his best friend (Bjorkstrand).

And Torts is left with the professional and media fallout.

Dude can only coach the talent that is provided to him, and if someone is refusing to buy in, he is obligated to send a message. It's unfair to the other 17 skaters on lines 1-4 to give Dubois 20 minutes a night given the way he is playing.

Seems like a lot of people are just jumping on this opportunity to bury Torts because they have an axe to grind with him for various other reasons.
How is Tort the least at fault? PLD gave effort in the playoffs. PLD's lack of compete has come after Tort acted like a petulant child and threw PLD under the bus. It's a professional and media fallout of his own creation. If your action cause your #1C to give up on the team, maybe a bit of introspection is warranted, but Tort is like that Principal Skinner meme.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I keep thinking of Sakic and Duchesne whenever people think CLB has to trade Dubois in the next few days. It is really important trade decision/trade that will greatly affect the franchise, you don't rush it Houle-Patrick Roy style.
Sure, but people forget that Colorado lost 56 games that season. It sounds like Columbus would like to compete and not throw away the season to maybe get a better return.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
If that's the line you want to go with, giving 100% is an option.
I still think Kekalainen did a reasonable thing in presumably waiting to see if the situation can be resolved without a trade, or looking for a trade at a reasonable value.

How is Tort the least at fault? PLD gave effort in the playoffs. PLD's lack of compete has come after Tort acted like a petulant child and threw PLD under the bus. It's a professional and media fallout of his own creation. If your action cause your #1C to give up on the team, maybe a bit of introspection is warranted, but Tort is like that Principal Skinner meme.
In hindsight, seeing how PLD dogged it last night, Tortorella's tactics absolutely backfired. And referring to my comment above, this undermines the wait and see-approach of Kekalainen. I don't think Tortorella, and I nor many others, believed a reaction like this would ensue. It's easy to blame him now, but him and Kekalainen completely wilting earlier would've arguably set a bad precedent, too. It really is a clusterf*** which hurts everyone involved.

Principal Skinner meme
I don't mean that you should exit this thread as you provide good arguments, but you should consider taking your talents to the Photoshop Thread :laugh:

Reactions: RogerRoger

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm honestly a little surprised that Tortorella has lasted this long with Columbus in the first place. Coaches like him tend to wear out their welcome very quickly and it's not like he has had a ton of success with the Jackets anyway.

I would argue the Blue Jackets have exceeded roster expectations in every season Tortorella has been their coach, maybe with the exception of the first, when he took over mid-season,

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
After that pathetic shift he’d never play for my team again. Scratch him until a trade is worked out. That does more damage to a team allowing him to be around everyone and sulk.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I appreciate that you are trying to mend the bridges, but we don't even know is Jarmo is in a position to mend the bridge. Jarmo could have lied to PLD to get him to sign the contract and screwed him over that way. We don't know enough and it boils down to conflict management and Tort is absolute shit at it.

I don't think PLD is acting stupid at all. Tort threw him under the bus and I don't think it's unreasonable for PLD to not want to reward Tort for such a dick move. There was no conflict beforehand and because of Tort there is one. If you show that "abuse" motivates you to play harder, you can expect more "abuse" to come your way.

True. And Jarmo is also paid to do a job and one of them was to trade PLD, yet he doesn't. Tort is paid to get the best out of his players, yet he doesn't. You are okay with their failures but not with PLD's. Interesting. Tort started a public mud slinging contest and invited media scrutiny where none was needed, that's apparently totally fine? Interesting.

Why? Why does Jarmo have to trade him? He doesn’t. They control pld until he’s 27. Whether he asked for a trade or not is irrelevant because he doesn’t get to decide to stop trying because he wasn’t traded. That is what babies do. What failures? You mean not giving in to a guy who has zero leverage and accepting a shitty offer jist for the sake of it? That’s not how this works.

Torts has done an excellent job there. Regardless of you not liking him, at least he doesn’t give up on his team. Torts didn’t throw him under the bus. PLD demands a trade and doesn’t tell anyone why? So torts tells the truth when asked about it and he’s a dick for answering the question? K

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I'm honestly a little surprised that Tortorella has lasted this long with Columbus in the first place. Coaches like him tend to wear out their welcome very quickly and it's not like he has had a ton of success with the Jackets anyway.
He's only the most successful coach that the Jackets have ever had, in terms of both regular season and playoffs.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Drouin sat out for weeks after asking to be traded.

Hung on to him for like a year before he was moved.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Caps fan here hoping we trade Kuznetsov for him straight up. Or whatever other pieces.

Kuz is already proven , but selfish af and can’t blame coaches at this point since he’s had 3.

PLD is younger and st least there’s a chance it’s a problem between him and the coach that’s demotivated him. Even if he ends up as selfish, he’s younger and it would break up the Caps Russian clique with the shit attitude

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
PLD had to dog it so teams don't think he sucks but can tell that he's good yet unhappy so they trade for him. 4D chess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad