John Tortorella is not happy with Pierre Luc-Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
"Yeah, he wants out," Tortorella told "Rothman and Ice" on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus. "He spoke to the team, as we do here. It's a little bit different than [Artemi Panarin] and [Sergei Bobrovsky] were. This is a 22-year-old kid. It doesn't happen that often, so he has been honest with the group. I wish he was a little bit more honest as far as reasons why. I still haven't really gotten to that, but I think he needs to speak on that. I won't."

"Now 'Luc' may not think that. Sometimes these players, especially today's athletes, think, 'You're too hard on me, you're picking on me,' and this and that. Maybe it's too hard for him. I don't know. I haven't been given a reason why he wants to leave. He certainly hasn't said it to me that 'I don't want to play for you.'

"I think if that's the reason he should tell me"

John Tortorella is never one to shy away from telling people how he feels, love him or hate him atleast he doesn't give canned, fake answers.

Dubois wants to leave Blue Jackets, Tortorella says

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Wow, that's not going to be good for the lockerroom.
Yea, tho if the problem is his relationship with his coach, then I assume his teammates more or less understood already.

That he’s been “honest *but not completely honest” sounds like PLD is tryna be sensitive to the situation, like not attacking the coach in front of the team just saying he wants out.

Imo I look at it like education, since coaching sort of is, especially with younger players: different people learn better in different ways and I’m different environments. There’s no universal “right or wrong” and there’s definitely plenty of coaches who’d probably get just as much out of PLD without making work thoroughly unpleasant.

So according to the quotes you provided, Torts isn't providing any insight at all towards his feelings regarding PLD.

He sort of is, in a sense. He seemed to acknowledge in the full quote he thinks (probably correct) that PLD doesn’t mesh or appreciate with his old school, abrasive style. I think he’s disappointed and irked, but didn’t sound petty or angry.
It’s less than ideal to have a player who wants to leave, but he essentially acknowledged there’s generational differences in a “it is what it is” way.
As long as PLD is putting in effort while he’s still there, they’re probably good.

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
PLD is a bit young to be demanding trades, so I’m not particularly surprised Torts (who isn’t exactly the most level-headed guy) would be upset with him. That puts CBJ is an awful spot.
I think Torts response was super level headed. The title of this thread is super misleading.

Imo young players shouldn’t demand trade for frivolous reasons, but players have just as much right to be concerned with their development as anyone. Or if they feel a situation is untenable, however “sensitive” they may be as it’s subjective.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think Torts response was super level headed. The title of this thread is super misleading.

Imo players shouldn’t demand trade for frivolous reasons, but players have just as much right to be concerned with their development as anyone. Or if they feel a situation is untenable, however “sensitive” they may be as it’s subjective.

More so than usual, yeah. Most coaches would’ve probably given a no-comment.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
That looks like a recap of the situation from Torts' perspective rather than an emotional rant about PLD to me. I have not seen it at all, so maybe it was in his body language or the tone of his words?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The fact Tortorella said this publicly is him "playing a card" so to speak. Puts some pressure on Dubois to come completely clean or put his head down and make a commitment. Something's gotta give here.
It’s sort of, the predictable coaches card of “if you don’t try, you don’t play”. Like he knows the trade is gonna happen, but as long as he’s here he needs to help his current team.

I think he was just answering what people have already been writing about for months, it’s not so much of a secret, Torts just doesn’t care since everyone knows.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Does anyone actually like playing for torts?
Didn't the leader core in Columbus do a kind of an intervention on Torts where they sain that they do really like to play for him but he's going too far with the raging and after that Tortorella took it down a bit?

Seth Jones also gave him some praises recently on Spittin Chiclets.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
PLD has done nothing to rightfully demand a trade to a club he wants to play for. Torts is right.
He exists as a person aware of his surroundings lol. There’s no rule against letting it be known he’s not happy there and is beyond the point of thinking the situation can be rehabilitated.

Unhappy players are generally unmotivated players. Unless they lose him for nothing, which obviously can happen, it’s better for both parties that he’s traded.

Reactions: virothepyro and Rob

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It sounds like choice between my 1C and coach. If I'm the GM and I have that choice it's goodbye Torts.

If the choice was just between them then sure but it seems like Dubois wants out of Columbus in general and it isn't just because of Torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad