John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Agreed.
Just saying, I think they miss him and would be better with him than they are without.
I hear ya. But cant ignore media and the talking heads were talking basement for Islanders after losing JT and getting nothing in return.

Its been the polar opposite.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I hear ya. But cant ignore media and the talking heads were talking basement for Islanders after losing JT and getting nothing in return.

Its been the polar opposite.

Fair. Give them their normal goaltending and even with the Trots effect, I think they are fighting for a playoff spot. IMO

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Fair. Give them their normal goaltending and even with the Trots effect, I think they are fighting for a playoff spot. IMO
Guess they should have traded JT for a good goalie and they could have been a play off team all these years?

Nah. I'm thinking its more than just good goaltending going on there.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

RLF

May 5, 2014
Guess they should have traded JT for a good goalie and they could have been a play off team all these years?

Nah. I'm thinking its more than just good goaltending going on there.

Their goaltending in the past has been real bad. Give them the same goaltending as the past and no way they are where they are. You just said-nothing beats great goaltending. I didn't say they would be last, said they would be fighting for a playoff spot. That's a difference of about 7 pts right now. I am very confident their current great goaltending is at least worth 7 pts more than their goaltending of the past.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
"Knowing Lou Lamarellos history" More like selecting negatives from it. ha!

A few positives from "Lou Lamoriellos history" .........

Built the laughing stock Devils into a force. Winning three Stanley Cups . Five trips to the finals. Hired by Shanahan to help the leafs young management team. Acquired the first star goalie the leafs have had since Eddie Belfour Now managing a huge turn around with first place Islanders dispite losing their franchise superstar. If Dubis can do half that, books will be written about him and a statue will be built downtown T.O.
Lou hasn't done anything over there except bring in Trotz. Trotz is the one who has fixed the Islanders so far. Not Lou. He can be given credit for the Devils and helping the Leafs but stop being over praising him with the Islanders so far.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Lou brought in Trotz. getting a great coach is always a good move. but that team is where it is because they've gotten ridiculous save percentages.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
sorta.

they've dropped from 8th best offense last year to 23rd this year.

Yet somehow they've gone from 31st to 1st in goals against. Literally worst to first.

Helps that they've gone from 28th in sv% to 1st. As long as the lehner/greiss combo keeps giving them the league's best goaltending, they'll look better than they have in years.

It's highly improbable for both your goalies to have career years in the same year. Maybe they're Trotz-inflated? They're basically operating at 100% efficiency this season, where as Washington and Pittsburgh are loafing it because they know they'll inevitably face each other in round 2, if not round 1. They'll make the playoffs, but they shouldn't expect multiple 30+ players to have career years next season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's highly improbable for both your goalies to have career years in the same year. Maybe they're Trotz-inflated? They're basically operating at 100% efficiency this season, where as Washington and Pittsburgh are loafing it because they know they'll inevitably face each other in round 2, if not round 1. They'll make the playoffs, but they shouldn't expect multiple 30+ players to have career years next season.

oh there's a huge team component as well. they gave up the most shots in the league last year, this year they've given up the 10th fewest. Trotz is a great coach.

and no doubt it helps that they have a huge chip on their shoulder this year after Johnny left.

note, though, that it's not unprecedented for either goalie - both have played at or near this level before in similar roles.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

They're definitely the Vegas Golden Knights of this year. Unimpressive roster - but they play balls to the wall every game with a heavy forecheck (and they got great wingers for it too), stringent defensive-zone play and like you said, very elite goaltending.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lou hasn't done anything over there except bring in Trotz. Trotz is the one who has fixed the Islanders so far. Not Lou. He can be given credit for the Devils and helping the Leafs but stop being over praising him with the Islanders so far.
There are only two reason Trotz agreed to coach the Islanders.

1) The Islanders were the only team in need of a new head coach when he was hired.

2) Trotz wanted more money from the Capitals. After he won the Cup last season he automatically got a 2 year extension from them as a clause in his contract. However Trotz didn't like the money he was going to be making and he quit.

So I always thought it was hypocritical of him telling the Islanders players how Tavares didn't want to be their teammate anymore, even though Trotz didn't want to coach the Capitals anymore because he wanted more money.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There are only two reason Trotz agreed to coach the Islanders.

1) The Islanders were the only team in need of a new head coach when he was hired.

2) Trotz wanted more money from the Capitals. After he won the Cup last season he automatically got a 2 year extension from them as a clause in his contract. However Trotz didn't like the money he was going to be making and he quit.

So I always thought it was hypocritical of him telling the Islanders players how Tavares didn't want to be their teammate anymore, even though Trotz didn't want to coach the Capitals anymore because he wanted more money.

Yup. Trotz went 100% for the $. He had no other options to make that $ anywhere else. He even declined the 2 year extension he agreed to.

Tavares took less $ to go to the Leafs.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Lou brought in Trotz. getting a great coach is always a good move. but that team is where it is because they've gotten ridiculous save percentages.
Of course it is but Trotz was a proven winner and great coach, he's had close to 20 years of success no? Any GM could've done that. I would say you might get the odd GM who would've done differently but to give Lou tons of credit for the change in standings is over-exaggerating right now. If Lou had gone and got a new coach from the college ranks or something and they were in the same position now, I'd be willing to give him praise for such a bold move. But getting Trotz was the obvious play. If they eventually win the cup because of the shrewd trades, drafting, free agent signings he one day makes, then you give him credit. But he hasn't earned anything yet.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
a7JoV5i.jpg

His Windows 10 must have forced an update mid-game

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Tavares set a new personal high last night with 39 goals. Upcoming milestones:

- 1 goal away from hitting the 40 goal mark for the first time in his career

- 2 points away from 700 career points

- 3 points away from 80 points this season (would be 4th time in career)

yeah tough to find any fault with Tavares in year 1. He's been A+.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Of course it is but Trotz was a proven winner and great coach, he's had close to 20 years of success no? Any GM could've done that. I would say you might get the odd GM who would've done differently but to give Lou tons of credit for the change in standings is over-exaggerating right now. If Lou had gone and got a new coach from the college ranks or something and they were in the same position now, I'd be willing to give him praise for such a bold move. But getting Trotz was the obvious play. If they eventually win the cup because of the shrewd trades, drafting, free agent signings he one day makes, then you give him credit. But he hasn't earned anything yet.
he changed the entire style of the team from pure run-and-gun to the near opposite. That was Lou and he deserves a mountain of credit for it. That too balls. And it's not a coincidence their goalies are suddenly having a good season.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I love how our 90 point paced, #1 C, best UFA signing in modern Leafs history, with six game winners, +21, PKing, leading the league in even-strength goals local Toronto boy is somehow not f***ing awesome.

Get f***ed you fake fan bullshitters.

Oh, yeah, and out of his 39 goals? 0 empty netters, and 9 of them were the all important opening goal of the game.

If you don't like John Tavares, you don't like this team, and you should go find something else to do.

Reactions: Al14 and mclaren55

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
There are a lot of reasons the Isles are playing better this year. Subtracting Tavares is not one of them.

Best free agent signing ever, and he wants to be here.

It's a great time to be a Leaf fan.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad