John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Play off bound. First place.

Yea , gee. What will they do without JT and the cap space he created when he bolted for Toronto.
Knowing Lou Lamoriello's history of giving out bad contracts he will waste their cap space on Matt Barzal. Plus he will also overpay to re-sign Anders Lee so the Islanders don't have another captain leave as a UFA for the second year in a row.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Knowing Lou Lamoriello's history of giving out bad contracts he will waste their cap space on Matt Barzal. Plus he will also overpay to re-sign Anders Lee so the Islanders don't have another captain leave as a UFA for the second year in a row.
"Knowing Lou Lamarellos history" More like selecting negatives from it. ha!

A few positives from "Lou Lamoriellos history" .........

Built the laughing stock Devils into a force. Winning three Stanley Cups . Five trips to the finals. Hired by Shanahan to help the leafs young management team. Acquired the first star goalie the leafs have had since Eddie Belfour Now managing a huge turn around with first place Islanders dispite losing their franchise superstar. If Dubis can do half that, books will be written about him and a statue will be built downtown T.O.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
"Knowing Lou Lamarellos history" More like selecting negatives from it. ha!

A few positives from "Lou Lamoriellos history" .........

Built the laughing stock Devils into a force. Winning three Stanley Cups . Five trips to the finals. Hired by Shanahan to help the leafs young management team. Acquired the first star goalie the leafs have had since Eddie Belfour Now managing a huge turn around with first place Islanders dispite losing their franchise superstar. If Dubis can do half that, books will be written about him and a statue will be built downtown T.O.

Devils won all their cups before the cap came in. He had difficulty once it came in.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Play off bound. First place.

Yea , gee. What will they do without JT and the cap space he created when he bolted for Toronto.

That's the thing, absolutely nothing. Take a good look at their roster and tell me if you can ever see the core pieces on it winning a cup without a major addition or two.

It's literally Barzal.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That's the thing, absolutely nothing. Take a good look at their roster and tell me if you can ever see the core pieces on it winning a cup without a major addition or two.

It's literally Barzal.
No it's the new coach. They went from 31st overall last year to 1st in GA. You are laughably giving Barzal too much credit.

Reactions: Havoc

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

It's literally Barzal.
Playing better than they have in years. Without JT. Lous first season as GM.

Will they miss JT down the road. Maybe so. Do they miss him now. Absolutely not.

That was my point.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Matthews is much more streaky and dominant but Tavares is more steady and cosnsistent. Tavares has never hit above 86 points and some of his peers like Giroux, Kessel and Stamkos have hit 90 + or a 100 +. It would be awesome if Tavares could have a small breakthrough and get 92-95 points.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews is much more streaky and dominant but Tavares is more steady and cosnsistent. Tavares has never hit above 86 points and some of his peers like Giroux, Kessel and Stamkos have hit 90 + or a 100 +. It would be awesome if Tavares could have a small breakthrough and get 92-95 points.
If Tavares had more help with him during his time with the Islanders chances are he would have got more than 86 points and went into the 90's in points.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He is a winner.

Period.

Remember when he tried to cheat on Kovalchuk's contract and still ended up paying him 100 million, cost his team millions in fines, lost a 1st round pick, cost his team 250k cap space for 12 years and had his captain walk for free the next summer?

Something tells me if Dubas had a blunder that bad, it wouldn't matter if he won anything or not.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Remember when he tried to cheat on Kovalchuk's contract and still ended up paying him 100 million, cost his team millions in fines, lost a 1st round pick, cost his team 250k cap space for 12 years and had his captain walk for free the next summer?

Something tells me if Dubas had a blunder that bad, it wouldn't matter if he won anything or not.
Yea Kovalchuck walked away from alot of money and alot of years. Lou took the hit there.

Do you remember the teams he built contending for 15 straight seasons. Plus.

Do you remember his Devils going to the Stanley Cup finals in 95, 00, 01, 03, 012. Winning three Cups.

Im pretty sure Dubis will be forgiven for any contractual blunders in Toronto if he does anything close to what Lou did in Jersey.

But first his team needs to win a play off round.

Last edited:

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Will they miss JT down the road. Maybe so. Do they miss him now. Absolutely not.

That was my point.

Why is a Hab fan so interested in making this point over and over again on the Leaf board? Why don't you try the Islander board? The Islanders don't miss JT. OK we get it Hab fan..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

That was my point.

sorta.

they've dropped from 8th best offense last year to 23rd this year.

Yet somehow they've gone from 31st to 1st in goals against. Literally worst to first.

Helps that they've gone from 28th in sv% to 1st. As long as the lehner/greiss combo keeps giving them the league's best goaltending, they'll look better than they have in years.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
sorta.

they've dropped from 8th best offense last year to 23rd this year.

Yet somehow they've gone from 31st to 1st in goals against. Literally worst to first.

Helps that they've gone from 28th in sv% to 1st. As long as the lehner/greiss combo keeps giving them the league's best goaltending, they'll look better than they have in years.
Team defense.

"Amazing what can be accomplished when it does not matter who gets the credit"

Last season the team ended up a minus-32

This season they are a plus 25. (on pace for plus 40)

Scoring less goals ....but Better team defense resulting in better offensive results. Which is really about outscoring the opposition.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He plays a consistent game and that’s exactly what we need with all our youth. He’s surpassed my expectations this year so far... would’ve been happy with him scoring 30 throughout the whole season

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yea Kovalchuck walked away from alot of money and alot of years. Lou took the hit there.

Do you remember the teams he built contending for 15 straight seasons. Plus.

Do you remember his Devils going to the Stanley Cup finals in 95, 00, 01, 03, 012. Winning three Cups.

Im pretty sure Dubis will be forgiven for any contractual blunders in Toronto if he does anything close to what Lou did in Jersey.

But first his team needs to win a play off round.

Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer.

Hasn't won anything since generational goalie Brodeur was in his prime.

Kind of like Glenn Sather, with Messier and gang.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

That was my point.
There will always be a team who grossly overperforms. It's the Islanders this year. Their defense is legitimately good, but their offense has been opportunistic in the same way that the Leafs were opportunistic in the shortened season, and many other teams before and since.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

RLF

May 5, 2014

That was my point.

Oh, I would bet they miss him and would be a better team with him. Big difference this year is that they are getting excellent goaltending. Elite numbers from both Lehner and Greiss. If they had that kind of goaltending when JT was there, I would easily wager they would have made the post season a lot more.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Oh, I would bet they miss him and would be a better team with him. Big difference this year is that they are getting excellent goaltending. Elite numbers from both Lehner and Greiss. If they had that kind of goaltending when JT was there, I would easily wager they would have made the post season a lot more.
Nothing beats good golatending.

But they are play far better team defense too. Under Trotts

RLF

May 5, 2014
Nothing beats good golatending.

But they are play far better team defense too. Under Trotts

Agreed.
Just saying, I think they miss him and would be better with him than they are without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->