John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It wasn't supposed to be Tavares replacing Kadri. It was supposed to give us a ridiculous 1-2-3 punch at centre.

Who would have thought Kadri would have such a horrible year, and that Matthews would be so inconsistent?

The way I see it... the leafs overachieved last year. And if not for Tavares (our most consistent player this season) the leafs would currently be clinging to a wild-card position.

Leafs are what second in goal diff? Second in winning %?I think you are being overdramatic here.

Reactions: Tmart335

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Leafs are what second in goal diff? Second in winning %?I think you are being overdramatic here.
We're also two points away from being in a wild-card position. So it's not overdramatic in the slightest. I think it's VERY fair to say that without Tavares (our most consistent player), we'd be in one of those wild-card positions right now.

If Matthews and Kadri wake up, we'll be the elite team we thought we'd be. Ulf is right. We haven't as of yet jumped up even ONE position, after signing Tavares, the biggest ufa signing in nhl history, while he's having a career year. I blame Kadri's poor season, and Matthews inconsistency.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
We're also two points away from being in a wild-card position. So it's not overdramatic in the slightest. I think it's VERY fair to say that without Tavares (our most consistent player), we'd be in one of those wild-card positions right now.

If Matthews and Kadri wake up, we'll be the elite team we thought we'd be. Ulf is right. We haven't as of yet jumped up even ONE position, after signing Tavares, the biggest ufa signing in nhl history, while he's having a career year. I blame Kadri's poor season, and Matthews inconsistency.

Our best stretch of the season was when Matthews was hurt. It's hard for me to fathom the team playing that well while he was out without John Tavares. Marner/Tavares carried us for weeks.

Also, people aren't taking into account the way our division has improved this year. Last year we had no Habs team pushing for the playoffs. Even the Sabres are in range.

Without Tavares this year, we are at best battling for the wildcard. No way would we be in second place like now.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

That's how the NHl is this season. More competitive than last year.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
It wasn't supposed to be Tavares replacing Kadri. It was supposed to give us a ridiculous 1-2-3 punch at centre.

Who would have thought Kadri would have such a horrible year, and that Matthews would be so inconsistent?

The way I see it... the leafs overachieved last year. And if not for Tavares (our most consistent player this season) the leafs would currently be clinging to a wild-card position.

Kadri really isn't really having a horrible year (he's struggled for sure but how much of that is due to usage changes), he's at 3rd line center dragging Marleau around the ice all game. Did you think we'd have 3 centers scoring 50-50 and 30 or something?

Reactions: stickty111

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
That's how the NHl is this season. More competitive than last year.

The Atlantic* The rest of the NHL has taken a huge step back. Look at the wild card race in both leagues, it's a joke. Leafs are 10 points up on the bottom WC spot and would be 1-4 points out of a division lead in any of the other 3 divisions.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017

How’s Kadri having a horrible year? Lol what an ignorant comment

Reactions: stickty111

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Babcock likes his vets way too much and gives them way too much rope.

We aren't scoring enough, so I am not sure if we have as much depth as people think,
well in the watered down 31 team cap league nobody does.

You wont find a fan of any team that likes the bottom pair or 4th line.

But I would take the leafs fourth line over most teams. Tampa Bay excluded.

As Scotty Bowman pointed out. Before the cap the Redwings fourth line was Zetterberg, Datzuik, Robitille. Will never see an NHL team that deep again.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well I never implied that, but I give Lou full credit for getting a solid coach in place. The team itself doesn't do much for me, seems like a classic case of a well coached team over achieving.

Brazal is a hell of a player and Lehner has been great, but the rest of the line up is meh.[/QUOTE

Over achieving Islanders.

Under achieving Leafs

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Islanders are so overrated its crazy. Sure, they've improved, but the metro is such a weak division overall. Pens were awful at the start, Philly was awful, CBJ is no serious threat, Canes, NYR & NJ are mediocre at best.
They dont miss JT .

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Babcock's refusal to change anything is the problem here. His stubbornness hurts this team IMO.
Almost all of Leafs nation, and members of the media were begging to try Marner with Matthews to give the team a boost he finally did that.
In his first interview with the media he acknowledged the change, and being his own stubborn, proud self he stated it probably wouldn't last long. Maybe not even after warm-ups.

Johnsson is on fire and in his last 4 games he's played 11:51, 9:31, 13:01, and 13:40 with 4 goals and 3 assists.
Meanwhile Marleau seems to have AM anchored down and he refuses to change the line.
Marleau in his last 4 games has played 16:11, 14:24, 16:03 and 16:14 with 1 assist. It's stubbornness, and pride that's hurting this team.
Having said that last season in the biggest game of the season GAME 7 against the Bruins. Marleau was the best forward on the team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Islanders are so overrated its crazy. Sure, they've improved, but the metro is such a weak division overall. Pens were awful at the start, Philly was awful, CBJ is no serious threat, Canes, NYR & NJ are mediocre at best.
Remember when others use to call the Atlantic Division weak like last season and said that's why Toronto was able to make the playoffs.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Remember when others use to call the Atlantic Division weak like last season and said that's why Toronto was able to make the playoffs.

Still is unfortunately, Sens, Detroit, Florida and Buffalo are non-factors in the division race. Montreal improving this year is the only real difference imo.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Still is unfortunately, Sens, Detroit, Florida and Buffalo are non-factors in the division race. Montreal improving this year is the only real difference imo.
Isn't it the same for the Islanders improving in the Metropolitan and they basically replaced the Flyers who finished 3rd in it last season.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Isn't it the same for the Islanders improving in the Metropolitan and they basically replaced the Flyers who finished 3rd in it last season.

Maybe, but the Leafs had a newly improved and developing team. Islanders, outside of Barzal, don't?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe, but the Leafs had a newly improved and developing team. Islanders, outside of Barzal, don't?
During the offseason when Lou signed Komarov to a 4 year contract with a $3 million AAV when he was made a healthy scratch by Babcock, along with trading for Matt Martin who was also a healthy scratch by Babcock last season and on a contract that non Leafs fans hated the moment he signed, I can see why they said the Islanders were not improved outside of Barzal.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

I honestly don't get what Kadri's problem is. He is getting the exact same minutes he's always gotten (16 mins avg) but significantly more offensive zone starts and significantly less defensive zone starts. Also is absolutely useless on the powerplay. Scheifele makes that spot look lethal for Winnipeg, I thought he'd have close to the same effect there.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Atlantic division is weak.

Lightening only team semi success in winning play off rounds

Leafs have not won a round in 15 years.

Bruins have won 2 rounds in the last 4 years.

Habs have won 1 round in last 4 years.

Sens have won 2 rounds in last 4 years

Wings Canes Sabres barely remember what play offs are.

Thats one sorry ass division.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad