John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
JT has been underwhelming so far this season. Playing with Marner I thought he'd be dominant but Marner is the one caring that line similar to how Marner carried Kadri last season. At 11 million for the next 7 years we aren't getting much bang for our buck and created a cap nightmare. All summer long I heard how the bad players he played with on the Island held his point totals down from superstar status but that seems to be a fallacy now. I'm not going to lie I'm disappointed with his start in Toronto. And before people start telling me I'm crazy keep in mind he's the second highest paid in the league and sits 33rd in league scoring, 15 points behind McDavid, 19 points behind MacKinnon playing with one of the best RW in the league.
Speaking of underwhelming, you and disappointment need to get a room together!

There is nothing wrong with Tavares!

This is one of those threads that needs to be deleted FFS!

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
JT has been underwhelming so far this season. Playing with Marner I thought he'd be dominant but Marner is the one caring that line similar to how Marner carried Kadri last season. At 11 million for the next 7 years we aren't getting much bang for our buck and created a cap nightmare. All summer long I heard how the bad players he played with on the Island held his point totals down from superstar status but that seems to be a fallacy now. I'm not going to lie I'm disappointed with his start in Toronto. And before people start telling me I'm crazy keep in mind he's the second highest paid in the league and sits 33rd in league scoring, 15 points behind McDavid, 19 points behind MacKinnon playing with one of the best RW in the league.

No he is not underwhelming....

He is a horse and leader. Check his ice time against forwards. Its like 45 to 48th on average.

Babcock doesn't give his horses to much ice time

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
And here's me sitting here thinking "bloody hell I'm glad we signed this guy

I think he's been pretty damn good so far

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Low expectations? Tavares once again, as mentioned a few times in this thread, is having a career year. What more do you need?

Not to be a 11 million player who isn't in the top 30 points or top 5 goals. Is that too much to ask from a player paid the second highest in the league????

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
I've been more disappointed with Matthews tbh he seems to have a knack of disappearing in some games (not that he's still not an awesome player and has plenty of room to grow

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He knows how to score, he has that gift but I thought he would be a more dominating player. I guess I never paid close enough attention to him on NYI.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Not to be a 11 million player who isn't in the top 30 points or top 5 goals. Is that too much to ask from a player paid the second highest in the league????

he's over a point per game, 4 goals behind 2nd most goals, top 10 in goals and logs 19 minutes a game and also kills penalties, what the hell more do you want from the guy...

Tavares never has been a pass first guy, so he isn't going to get 4 assists a night like Marner. He's going to score most nights from tips and power play goals. It's a tough league to score in, so unless you are racking up tons of assists like Marner, his point totals are on par with what we were expecting from him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He knows how to score, he has that gift but I thought he would be a more dominating player. I guess I never paid close enough attention to him on NYI.

He was never an assist guy, he scores goals from every where and battles hard in the corners and on the boards. He is literally Crosby light. Watch his NYI highlights and you'll see

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Would you be happier if we gave him the 23 minutes per night to achieve those goals but lost more games?

Babcock doesn't manage his roster to over play anyone. Complete opposite actually.

It seems obvious which of you don't watch much hockey as for the most part Tavares has been our best overall forward and a 2 way beast most nights and isn't at all selfish in trying to be a goal scorer on a team deep with guys who can put the puck in the net.

Amazing how bi-polar this fan base can be.

Reactions: francis246

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
He never had a chance.

Reactions: Smif

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'm reserving my disappointment for the playoffs. If he's held to a minor role and there's an early first round exit I'll consider his contributions disappointing.

Premature thread. He's on pace for 50 goals. Pump the brakes a bit. Babcock teams don't produce Art Ross winners. It's a team game and team success > individual success.
Maybe pump you own brakes and wait at least a few more years before deciding this is a terrible contract.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
he's over a point per game, 4 goals behind 2nd most goals, top 10 in goals and logs 19 minutes a game and also kills penalties, what the hell more do you want from the guy...

Tavares never has been a pass first guy, so he isn't going to get 4 assists a night like Marner. He's going to score most nights from tips and power play goals. It's a tough league to score in, so unless you are racking up tons of assists like Marner, his point totals are on par with what we were expecting from him.

What? His stat line says otherwise.

[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Another hilariously off mark narrative being pitched by some is "all the easy tap ins from Mitch".

Hilarious because Tavares isn't the only guy on that line yet it's always him putting the puck in the net. Like if it's so freakin easy where are all of Hyman's goals? Why didn't Brown score over the 2 games he played with Match while JT kept scoring? And why has Mitch never had so many assists?

The answer to all those questions is probably that it has something to do with the immense hockey talent of JT. Like I said there is no question Marner is helping his goal totals but let's also not ignore that JT doesn't have a finisher on his line and that has depressed his assist totals and it's also put him in the position where he knows he has to be the finisher on that line and has adapted his game accordingly.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

You deserve nothing but a Laugh out Loud.

Turn in your Leaf card, fans like you aren't needed.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He honestly looked like a more "dominating player" when he was playing with Anders Lee and Josh Bailey - couple big forwards who crashed the net, opened up room for Tavares to operate. But all in all Tavares is more of a workman lunchpail type talent than a flashy jawdropper.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I guess Leaf fans have grown to have low expectations and fine with career averages when he should be producing more. His 11 million is now going drive up Matthews' and Marner's cap hit to crazy numbers. But if every Leaf fan is fine with that I guess I'm the crazy person.
Holy nuts, what were your expectations for Tavares? Clearly a career high isn't good enough?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What? His stat line says otherwise.

[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

most people will have more assists than goals, it's easier to pass the puck than score. But if you actually watch him, he's known for scoring goals. And his goal total is not that far away from his assists

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Holy nuts, what were your expectations for Tavares? Clearly a career high isn't good enough?

He thinks because he's say "2nd highest paid" then that means he should be "2nd best player" essentially.

Insanely stupid logic.

While completely looking past how good Tavares has actually been for us. Especially while Matthews was out. Amazing how people in this fan base can't see past their own agenda for what is right in front of them.

Clearly this is someone who didn't like the Tavares deal and will go to no end to try and make it look bad....even when it looks absolutely fine and he's playing extremely well.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I'll admit it's a bit soon but I watched Tavares on the Island a lot and he's a different player in Toronto. He controls the play a lot less. Maybe it's adjusting to new line mates and the new system.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
most people will have more assists than goals, it's easier to pass the puck than score. But if you actually watch him, he's known for scoring goals. And his goal total is not that far away from his assists

Tell that to pure scorers like Ovie, Laine, and Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->