John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'd rather Rielly, since he has the same media training + he's younger.
JT all the way. But Rielly would not be a bad pick either.

Leafs have two p[layers that are great captain material.

You could flip a coin. Matters not.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Islanders better this year than they have been the in years . Go figure.

"amazing what can be accomplished when it doesn't matter who gets the credit"

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Islanders better this year than they have been the in years . Go figure.

"amazing what can be accomplished when it doesn't matter who gets the credit"

Big part of all sport is motivation. You get get rejected by a guy like JT makes everyone in that room bond together and say... We'll show you.

Like the Leafs before the PO should find something more than them to fight for, like Cancer kids, take the burdon off themselves a play for them. It may sound silly but, its sort of why countries united under a Religion do so well untill the people break apart and divide in their beliefs. The goals of the nation become blurred and it will fail.

Time to play for Timmy, not Marner for a contract, Matthews for the C, Nylander for whatever you guys and gals get it. Unity is strength in numbers realized.

Reactions: PaulD

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Remember when people used to get offended when Tavares was #1A and Matthews #1B?

Well Tavares >> Matthews right now AINEC.
There is a psychological factor involved with Tavares. Toronto boy who grew up watching the leafs and wants to bring the cup home along with Marner (for example)...not some American kid who was born in California and raised in a dessert. What subconscious incentive is there?.....ok I'm talking stupid now...off to work.....

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Seems like some think Marner would have the same production without Tavares. I dont think so. It goes both ways, but it is like Tavares should be so blessed playing with Marner but not the other way around. They are great players who play even greater together.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
JT chose to play net front; it is his decision not coaching staff

I noticed they started moving Tavares around alot more. Before he was just the net front guy playing the JVR role but on the weekend they had him moving around more. It makes sense to try to get him in different positions if we continue to struggle.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Seems like some think Marner would have the same production without Tavares. I dont think so. It goes both ways, but it is like Tavares should be so blessed playing with Marner but not the other way around. They are great players who play even greater together.

Yeah well there is something of a learning curve going on here. Before we signed him there were some fans here who insisted he wasn't as good as Nylander. Others said he wouldn't hold Matthews jock. And then they said he was getting easy points living off Marner.

He's been our most consistent forward since day one of training camp. He's our # 1 center. He makes everyone better. He is our match up center. He should be given the C soon.

Reactions: PaulD and ZEBROA

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yet Babcock was the runner up for coach of the year in 2017 to John Tortorella, despite taking the Leafs from last place overall in 2016 to the playoffs in 2017.
I think all the hype over the rookies hurt Babcock a bit.
This year it's likely Trotz followed by Julien.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yet Babcock was the runner up for coach of the year in 2017 to John Tortorella, despite taking the Leafs from last place overall in 2016 to the playoffs in 2017.
Babs would have won, but Torts beat him out. Fair and square.

Babs was also hurt by the fact everyone knew the leafs ended up 31 st from tanking. When you aim for last....hard to reward anybody for getting out of last.

Kind of like throwing someone overboard in the pool, then playing the hero when you jump in to save them.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What GM doesn't spend the owners money to get assets ?

Treliving put a heck of a lot more effort into his moves and his team is 2nd overall.

Lou gave a ton of $ to a coach looking for a huge payday. I'd argue, Bergervin did a better job than Lou. He had a terrific summer.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Treliving put a heck of a lot more effort into his moves and his team is 2nd overall.

Lou gave a ton of $ to a coach looking for a huge payday. I'd argue, Bergervin did a better job than Lou. He had a terrific summer.
I would pick Lou.

Lost Tavares for nothing in return. Yet the team drastically improved.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I would pick Lou.

Because he spent ownerships $ on an elite coach. No other team was offering that contract. Look at Treliving's trades. Amazing. And he took a coach under contract which is more difficult.
Isles success is on Trotz.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I would pick Lou.

Islanders are so overrated its crazy. Sure, they've improved, but the metro is such a weak division overall. Pens were awful at the start, Philly was awful, CBJ is no serious threat, Canes, NYR & NJ are mediocre at best.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Islanders are so overrated its crazy. Sure, they've improved, but the metro is such a weak division overall.
Isles are not a very talented team. Hard-working, well coached but seriously lacking talent.
I actually laugh that I can see repeatedly on here Dubas deserves no credit for Tavares signing yet Lou does for Trotz signing. LOL.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Remember when people used to get offended when Tavares was #1A and Matthews #1B?

Well Tavares >> Matthews right now AINEC.
It's really nice having both, and Tavares has defintely had the more consistent season. But lets not forget he's played with Marner and Hyman ALL SEASON (except 2 games), while Matthews most consistent linemates have been Marleau and Kapanen.

Yes, Matthews should be able to produce with anyone, but its tough when you have three guys on you all game (his PPG is very similar to JT)

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Isles are not a very talented team.
I actually laugh that I can see repeatedly on here Dubas deserves no credit for Tavares signing yet Lou does for Trotz signing. LOL.

Well I never implied that, but I give Lou full credit for getting a solid coach in place. The team itself doesn't do much for me, seems like a classic case of a well coached team over achieving.

Brazal is a hell of a player and Lehner has been great, but the rest of the line up is meh.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I would pick Lou.

what drastically improved was their goaltending and coaching. not their talent level.

also, Lou wanted badly to keep Tavares so let's not pretend anything else.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->