John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
He's definitely the worst UFA signing in Leafs history. Forget Leafs history, probably NHL history. No comparison whatsoever. Instead of wasting 11 million on this plug, they should've done a brilliant signing like they did with David Clarkson years ago.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
My reservations about the Tavares signing aside I hope the Leafs can keep all their forwards and improve their dcore so they can make a solid run as a contender for many years, ultimately going to multiple finals and winning the holy grail over Tavares' time here. So Go Leafs Go! That includes you JT!

You reservation aside! Seriously, your still going? Just give up and accept you posted one of the dumbest threads ever to grace this Leafs sub-forum...and that's saying something. Even better, how about stepping up and saying you got it wrong. Your either a professional troll or one of those people who can't admit when they were wrong. Second in the league in scoring, on pace for 55 and plays hard at both ends of the ice. As an RFA, he would be cheap at 13, never mind 11.

Years from now, the continuing sarcastic posts in this thread may lead some to believe the OP was joking when he posted his hot take. o_O

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
My reservations about the Tavares signing aside I hope the Leafs can keep all their forwards and improve their dcore so they can make a solid run as a contender for many years, ultimately going to multiple finals and winning the holy grail over Tavares' time here. So Go Leafs Go! That includes you JT!

There he goes again scoring 2 non-clutch goals...friggin' waste of cap space. Not like those 2 goals were the difference between 2 points and no points in the standings... friggin' non-clutch John... trade this bum for a bag of day old bread.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought Matthews was going to the be the first Leaf in decades to score 50 goals in a season again in a Leaf s jersey, but it looks like its going to be Johnny T instead.

Maybe if Auston gets hot we have 2 of them, but that would be a long shot due to missed games this season.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Bozak and JVR combined make more than Tavares.
Pay your stars. DO NOT overpay supporting guys.

It's not a big deal what Matthews/Marner get as long as you are smart elsewhere.

Yea, I'm not thrilled with the Nylander contract either:naughty:

Reactions: Boutette

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I thought Matthews was going to the be the first Leaf in decades to score 50 goals in a season again in a Leaf s jersey, but it looks like its going to be Johnny T instead.

Maybe if Auston gets hot we have 2 of them, but that would be a long shot due to missed games this season.

Something seems off with Matthews, and it's not about his linemates. He has the potential to be even better than Tavares but as of now, there's no question in my mind that JT is our number one centre.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Matthews could really learn a thing or two from Johnny T. What a professional.

Not a slight against Matthews, but you are entirely correct. If there is a physical problem affecting AM we then have a different concern. But to date, Matthews' efforts have been, while brilliantly exciting, inconsistent. However, he's still got some 'learnin' to do and JT is a wonderful example of how the game should be played. Imo, he's the closest example to Crosby with respect to 'style' in the game today, though presented at a lower skill level. Fully committed, 85/90% of the time, which is the best one can expect of any player over an 82 game season. If Matthews is watching, and I'm sure he is, he couldn't have a much better example of what professional means.

Reactions: PaulD

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Something seems off with Matthews, and it's not about his linemates. He has the potential to be even better than Tavares but as of now, there's no question in my mind that JT is our number one centre.

He hasn't been the same since the shoulder injury. He's sticking much more to the perimeter. If that's what it takes for him to stay healthy, hey, whatever. Shame though, this looked like the season he was going to grab the #2 spot in the entire league.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Grapes1

Jul 24, 2014
Worth every penny. Not sure how Matthews can justify getting more than him.

I've been thinking about this myself lately. Best case scenario is Tavares continues this pace, and has a dominant playoffs.

Perhaps Matthews will take 11 million... one can dream

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This team would be fighting for a wild card spot without JT.
If you consider Matthews missed 1 month, we basically haven’t had Nylander much all year (even now at times) and Andersen is hurt, we’d be in tough.

JT really has been a spectacular signing.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
1st in 5v5 goals, 1st in 5v5 primary points, and 2nd in 5v5 points with a game in hand. his PP role is diminished, but this is the best season he's ever had. outstanding defense as well. Still 2nd in the league in ixgf, so it's not even hard to expect him to sustain it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Whoever plays with Hyman has the best chance for 50 goals.. JT stole Matthews wingman.

Reactions: Dough72

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
1st in 5v5 goals, 1st in 5v5 primary points, and 2nd in 5v5 points with a game in hand. his PP role is diminished, but this is the best season he's ever had. outstanding defense as well. Still 2nd in the league in ixgf, so it's not even hard to expect him to sustain it

He's been a Hart finalist twice. He finished one point back from winning the Art Ross one year. And his teammates weren't nearly as good.

He's having a great year but the main reason so many keep calling this his best year is because it's happening in Toronto. Lol!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's been a Hart finalist twice. He finished one point back from winning the Art Ross one year. And his teammates weren't nearly as good.

He's having a great year but the main reason so many keep calling this his best year is because it's happening in Toronto. Lol!
mostly because he's getting fewer powerplay minutes with a diminished role though. he's really never been this good, and I don't think it's fair to hold powerplay opportunity against him. it's not like he can control it

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
mostly because he's getting fewer powerplay minutes with a diminished role though. he's really never been this good, and I don't think it's fair to hold powerplay opportunity against him. it's not like he can control it
It's a whole different supporting cast in Toronto. He was always this good, he just had to carry a mess around him.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Not a slight against Matthews, but you are entirely correct. If there is a physical problem affecting AM we then have a different concern. But to date, Matthews' efforts have been, while brilliantly exciting, inconsistent. However, he's still got some 'learnin' to do and JT is a wonderful example of how the game should be played. Imo, he's the closest example to Crosby with respect to 'style' in the game today, though presented at a lower skill level. Fully committed, 85/90% of the time, which is the best one can expect of any player over an 82 game season. If Matthews is watching, and I'm sure he is, he couldn't have a much better example of what professional means.

Youre right about Tavares, the guy has been outstanding. Matthew's is being groomed under john Tavares. From his leadership, effort level every night and a great example of how to play a complete game

People forget Matthew's is only in his 3rd season with extended time out in season 2. Tavares has never scored over 40 goals and didnt even break 30 until year 3.

Matthew's will be inconsistent at a young age, but with 40G, 34G and 20 so far this year; I think he will be just fine. Having a mentor like Tavares will go a long way

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's a whole different supporting cast in Toronto. He was always this good, he just had to carry a mess around him.
I'm sure that's part of it, but I also think it's pretty clear that he's better than ever. he already has more 5v5 goals and primary points than he did all of last year. he also has better relative possession stats

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
There he goes again scoring 2 non-clutch goals...friggin' waste of cap space. Not like those 2 goals were the difference between 2 points and no points in the standings... friggin' non-clutch John... trade this bum for a bag of day old bread.

What is your definition of clutch, it seems to be pretty loose?

Last edited:

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Whoever plays with Hyman has the best chance for 50 goals.. JT stole Matthews wingman.
I agree with this. After seeing Hyman come back and how much more offensive possession that line had compared to when Hyman was out. Matthews can't seem to float around anymore because he doesn't have Hyman winning board battles and buying him time to get into good positions or easy zone entries.

Reactions: Dough72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad