John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yes, apparently. I think he may have to break his promise though. Not a great dynamic, but may have to be done if he can't move a Zaitsev or Marleau for instance and replace him for less. I don't think the Leafs will let it get to a point where an offer sheet is available.

Yeah not so much a promise as it was a indication of his plans. Dubas said he has no plans to trade Nylander. It's like me saying I have no plans to drink beer this weekend but hey plans change all the time.

If Nylander continues to be a complimentary player and does not bring his game to the next level (Tavares, Matthews, Marner), I HIGHLY doubt Nylander finishes off his career with the Leafs but that is just the opinion of one Leaf fan. Also what are the chances Dubas is here in 5 years? 5 years is a long time for a GM with one team in the NHL.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I wonder how you all will feel about the Tavares signing when Matthews gets offer sheeted for 16 million and is playing in Arizona next year and Marner's holding out for 12 million.

Matthews and his camp said they will not sign with the Leafs before July 1st and will sign an offer sheet if given? Did this come out today?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tavares is one of the last guys I would move off this team and the day the signed him I want the Cup in the 7 years of his contract.
So they better make sure they have enough cap for quality depth, D upgrades and more of the heavier players the coach talks about.

Be sure who you are giving the dollars too because they better have the drive and urgency to get abused through 4 rounds of the playoffs to win it all.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Yes because lottery picks have worked out so well for Arizona already. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

They have had all of 4 lottery picks since 2009.

OEL in 2009
Strome in 2015 (could have been Marner, Barzal, etc...)
Clayton Keller in 2016
Hayton (18 YO jn Junior) 5th overall in 2018

Even with the Strome bomb I'd think hard about that return for Matty right now vs paying him 16M.

Keller Tavares Marner
Jonsson Kadri Kappanen
Hyman Nylander Bracco/Moore
Lindholm Gauthier Brown

Reilly Lilegren
Dermott OEL
Sandin Ozzy

...and we have an 18 YO 5th overall pick at C in the Sault (Hayton)

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
They have had all of 4 lottery picks since 2009.

OEL in 2009
Strome in 2015 (could have been Marner, Barzal, etc...)
Clayton Keller in 2016
Hayton (18 YO jn Junior) 5th overall in 2018

Even with the Strome bomb I'd think hard about that return for Matty right now vs paying him 16M.

Keller Tavares Marner
Jonsson Kadri Kappanen
Hyman Nylander Bracco/Moore
Lindholm Gauthier Brown

Reilly Lilegren
Dermott OEL
Sandin Ozzy

...and we have an 18 YO 5th overall pick at C in the Sault (Hayton)

The same was thought about Strome as Hayton. Matthews is a franchise centre you don't trade that for 4 maybes especially when you take into account Arizona could very well a playoff team with Matthews in the linup but this HFB so lottery picks are worth more than anything!!! Matthews franchise centre or four mystery boxes!! OOOO!

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The same was thought about Strome as Hayton. Matthews is a franchise centre you don't trade that for 4 maybes especially when you take into account Arizona could very well a playoff team with Matthews in the linup but this HFB so lottery picks are worth more than anything!!! Matthews franchise centre or four mystery boxes!! OOOO!

I think you might be forgetting we already have elite, franchise, clutch center Johnny Toronto in the fold for the next 7 years?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That Auston Matthews, he's not a clutch guy, ZERO goals against:

Nashville Predators
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Pittsburgh Penguins
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Winnipeg Jets
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
Los Angeles Kings
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Probably should beat down on the guy because hey, I have an unrealistic set of standards for him that I don't apply to anyone else. HE'S SOOOOOO NOT CLUTCH... invisible vs Nashville, invisible against Tampa, invisible against Winnipeg, invisible against CBJ, invisible against Pitts ...

Marner ..sucks ..didn't step up and score against, Boston, Tampa, Calgary, Nashville, Pitts,Washington .. he sucks, totally not clutch... sucks!

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Montreal Canadiens
Nashville Predators
New York Islanders
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Vancouver Canucks
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Don't forget the 2nd time against the Jets this season is when Matthews got injured and left the game. So he didn't have a chance to score against them in that game.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Thats the problem, he thinks Tavares is terrible and a huge downgrade on Matthews.

When did I say that?? And you question why I use emojis. :help: Both are franchise centres but Matthews is 21 and Tavares 28. Typically in the modern NHL players regress by age 30. So on one hand Matthews has 10 years of great hockey left in him and Tavares has what 3 maybe 4 years (let's honest he isn't the best skater which doesn't bode well for longevity)? I'll be very upset if Tavares signing costs us Matthews and I may stop watching hockey all together. The threat of the offer sheet is real and if you think the lottery picks are going to produce a player of Matthews calibre you're sadly mistaken.

member 300185

I wasn't happy with the signing especially when the terms were announced. How could you be with our dcore needing massive upgrades to become contensder status and Dubas is burning cap space on another forward knowing full well the 3 top dogs still new need contracts. Yes Tavares is a good player at a valued position but he wasn't the right fit for this team at this stage. Dubas and Leaf fans never seemed to stop and ask should I? rather than could I sign Tavares? I wish I could figure out how to search for all my posts instead of just the threads I started to prove it.
Are you on glue? He is leading our team in goals and is over a PPG halfway through the season and is destined to put up career numbers. What more could you want from him? He was perfect for this team and if he wasn't here, we would be scrambling for not only top D, but also a top centre. No one gives up quality centers.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yes because lottery picks have worked out so well for Arizona already. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Strange eh? We let Arizona use our scouting staff and drafting metrics and they came up with different results. I guess they aren't good at hockey like us.

member 300185

When did I say that?? And you question why I use emojis. :help: Both are franchise centres but Matthews is 21 and Tavares 28. Typically in the modern NHL players regress by age 30. So on one hand Matthews has 10 years of great hockey left in him and Tavares has what 3 maybe 4 years (let's honest he isn't the best skater which doesn't bode well for longevity)? I'll be very upset if Tavares signing costs us Matthews and I may stop watching hockey all together. The threat of the offer sheet is real and if you think the lottery picks are going to produce a player of Matthews calibre you're sadly mistaken.
How the hell could you know that? Need I remind you that JT is a fitness junkie. Is aware of every calorie he puts in his mouth. He will play until he is 40 at least, just like Marleau and others. He will be very effective until he is at least 35 or 36.

member 300185

I would think the Leafs organisation would much prefer to have lily in the A next year as well. He is not ready yet; and despite what many do not like (im one) Zaitsev and Oz are two of the 3 RHD for next year (maybe they keep Holl).
I agree. He and Sandin need to bake for at least another year. Bring them in at the same time in 2020/2021

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dont hide it. Your opinion on Tavares has been all over this thread.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Are you on glue? He is leading our team in goals and is over a PPG halfway through the season and is destined to put up career numbers. What more could you want from him? He was perfect for this team and if he wasn't here, we would be scrambling for not only top D, but also a top centre. No one gives up quality centers.

Was there something wrong with Kadri and Matthews last year? The Leafs will win nothing with this dcore and having no cap space reduces the chances improving it. Yes JT is PPG this year but how can he sustain that at his age? My UFA target would have been Karlsson this summer which addresses a real team need. Not stacking at forward to the point of cap hell and impeding the improvement of a lottery team calibre dcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->