Value of: John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Will be interesting to see what happens with him over the next 2 years. Does he re-sign with the Isles or will he want to explore free agency, isles should start looking for something now if that is the case.

Roster player and a first round pick? Free agency 8-10 mil per year?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Will be interesting to see what happens with him over the next 2 years. Does he re-sign with the Isles or will he want to explore free agency, isles should start looking for something now if that is the case.

with 2 years left? and only at 5.5 mil? not even close

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Re-signed in July 2017.

Sincerely hoping that happens as a Jets fan; just to avoid a year of awful proposals and rumours.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Franchise center, it would be tough to get fair value back. I dont see why he wouldnt re-sign with the Isles.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
He'll be re-signed next offseason.

We've been through Tavares1, Stamkos1, Spezza1, and now Tavares2 to Toronto. When will Toronto fans learn?

Answer : Never.

Next.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Do people think the Islanders really suck that badly that Tavares is going to leave?

And yeah it's hard to assume you're not a Leafs fan considering your avatar and the infatuation Leafs fans have with Tavares.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

We've been through Tavares1, Stamkos1, Spezza1, and now Tavares2 to Toronto. When will Toronto fans learn?

Next.

Yeah I was super happy when Benn re-signed so I didnt have to hear Benn to Toronto rumours all year

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I fully expect him to resign in the Island for something similar to Benn, possibly around 10.5 just due to it being a year later (and a hell of a lot more taxes in New york). As what would I offer? One of Nylander or Marner, 2017 1st, 2017 2nd and any prospect not named Matthews, Marner or Nylander (outside of the one you chose in the first grouping). Doubt many teams would top that, but I also doubt Isles will be put in a position to trade him.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

He resigns with the Isles because in the NHL (which is radically different from NBA, MLB, or NFL free agency), franchise players of his caliber sign with the teams they're comfortable with. That's why every fanbase (my Isles included) were frothing at the mouth over the prospect of Stamkos becoming a UFA: players as good as him NEVER make it to July 1st - and at the end of the day, neither did Stammy. Even a guy like Kovalchuk waited until after July 1st to hear offers, but ended up signing with the Devils, the team that most previously held his rights.

It's the next level of players that hit UFA, because they want too much $$$ that's better off allocated to franchise players. Your Benns, your Hedmans, your Kopitars - they almost always stick with good money on a team and hometown they're comfortable with instead of chasing however much money and "marketing bonuses" Toronto is willing to throw at them.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Only way he leaves is if he wants to. It won't be because of money. The isles will offer him as much as anyone to keep him.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
JT is worth a whole truck load of stuff. Basically enough assets to gut a team. OR as a UFA he'll be right up there with the boys from Chicago.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland

Probably Matthews and JVR+. He finished the year in beast mode. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Art Ross discussion.

DriftEasy

Jan 16, 2016
This is the thing though. We can argue to the death over "fair value" for Tavares but he is simply so important to the Isles that you're never going to get an offer that would entice them to trade him.

The likelihood seems to be that we're gonna resign him. I would expect (hope) that Tavares merely names his price and Snow's only two questions are:

1) How much do you want in signing bonuses?; and
2) Do you want a NMC with that?

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Next.

This is #3, actually. #1 was when he was drafted, he would refuse to sign and force a trade. #2 was after his ELC ended, he'd refuse to sign and force a trade.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How about

Vatanen or Fowler
Theodore
Ritchie
Ducks 1st in 2017

Value wise?

These trades don't typically work because teams wouldn't want to give up a haul to get a player generally and the team trading would likely prefer a closer level to elite player coming back

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
I think he walks if the islanders are stuck in mediocrity by 2018. Islanders lack a #1D and a true #1G to be real contenders. A few more first or second round exits and I could fully see JT moving on from the islanders .

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If the Islanders trade Tavares it's going to cost at least a backup goaltender, 3rd rounder and of course a cap dump so you can fit his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad