John Tavares vs Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Much of it has to do with the fact that Matthews is 21 and still learning and developing, while Tavares is a 28 year old bull, in his prime, but I just think Tavares is a better hockey player RIGHT NOW than Auston. Just as talented in his own right, and more capable of taking NHL level punishment.

Matthews has that deadly shot and he can really skate, but he becomes a perimeter player at times. I think Tavares' straight ahead, get to the front of the net, battle in the tough areas, style of hockey is perfect for the playoffs and translates to being clutch when you need a play made.

Matthews might be a superior goal scorer, but Tavares (at this point in his career) does a lot of the little things better, IMO.

Toronto (and us fans) are lucky to have him. Think of all those scrub wingers he made look like really quality players over the years. I'm excited to see Nylander get back to the top line and hopefully play with Kapanen and Matthews, but Tavares, Marner and whoever they play with will continue to be Toronto's most steady, dangerous, line, night in and night out.

I know this opinion won't be popular with some, especially the younger crowd that LOVES Matthews (not that I don't), but if I had to pick one to Captain and lead this team right now, give me Tavares.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
You're drunk go home.

It took Tavares until his 3rd or 4th NHL season just to score at a point per game pace over a season. Matthews is already a point per game player in his CAREER. There is no question Matthews is better.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Hey man, you guys can bring on the hate... I don't expect my opinion to be popular.

Tavares just has the intangibles that I love. Not amazing skater. Not likely going to win a Rocket, but I love his game...

He's a beauty.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
You're drunk go home.

It took Tavares until his 3rd or 4th NHL season just to score at a point per game pace over a season. Matthews is already a point per game player in his CAREER. There is no question Matthews is better.

Look who Tavares played with in New York va the lineup that Matthew's plays with... Not a fair comparison at all, not did I ever say that 28 year old Matthews won't be better than Tavares.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hey man, you guys can bring on the hate... I don't expect my opinion to be popular.

Tavares just has the intangibles that I love. Not amazing skater. Not likely going to win a Rocket, but I love his game...

He's a beauty.
It's hard to fault you for loving JT and he surely is a heck of a player but Auston is the Franchise.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They are both Toronto Maple Leafs. That is all that matters.

Matthews is better but Tavares is f***ing elite too. We have two of the top C’s in the league.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Tavares is more experienced and feels more like a "leader," but I think Matthews is more talented at this point. He's faster, he handles the puck at a quicker pace and he seems to generate more scoring chances. Matthews is scoring points at a higher clip even though JT plays regularly with Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad