John Tavares or Ryan O’Reilly

Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
If I were a coach, I'd matchup up ROR against Tavares.
I expect O'Reilly would shut him down.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Crazy that people evaluate players based on name value and draft position.

Or...you know....actual results as well? ROR has a career high of 64 points. Tavares has had a better offensive season than that going on NINE years in a row now. And for those that like to falsely claim that Tavares isn't a good defensive player, take a look at his SKATR chart. It doesn't get more blue than that. ROR is a fantastic all around player, but come on. Tavares is a game breaking talent and in a different league. The guy is a two time Hart finalist still in his prime. This should be a no brainer.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I was afraid this was going to be close or ROR would even be winning but HF pleasantly surprised me for once. Good to see this place hasn't completely hit rock bottom yet

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Or...you know....actual results as well? ROR has a career high of 64 points. Tavares has had a better offensive season than that going on NINE years in a row now. And for those that like to falsely claim that Tavares isn't a good defensive player, take a look at his SKATR chart. It doesn't get more blue than that. ROR is a fantastic all around player, but come on. Tavares is a game breaking talent and in a different league. The guy is a two time Hart finalist still in his prime. This should be a no brainer.

Does that apply to all players? Would you agree (based entirely on their SKATR chart) that it's proof that Auston Matthews is absolutely horrific defensively?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This year? kinda man. He's been pretty bleh.

The poster didn't seem to be referring to just this year that Tavares is playing well defensively, but as a whole that he's actually a good defensive player (ie. most of his entire career he's been good defensively) based on this year's SKATR chart. Because Tavares' SKATR chart has quite a bit of pink/red the previous year.

Edit: I also think it's a flawed way of determining whether a player is good defensively or not based on a chart. Someone should look up Sasha Barkov's SKATR chart this season. Would anyone in their right might make the conclusion that Barkov is really, really bad defensively? If not, then why is it proof that someone is good defensively?

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I find Tavares overrated, have for a few years now.

He has an elite skillset but man he's sooo slow. To me it's a real issue in his game, a lot of the time it goes unnoticed because he's positionally pretty sound and he's always competing hard, but i often find myself following his shifts and there are many plays/chances to steal a puck that just sort of dry out because he's either standing still or can't move quick enough and the play goes the other way.

Im not ready to say ROR is better, but to be honest, how ROR has played this season right now it's closer than people like to admit or realize.

I think what you'd expect is for JT to have a signifcant advantage on the PP but ROR is even pretty good at that, in fact he has more PP points this season.

ROR has the best takeaway-to-giveaway ratio in the game right now. Tavares gives the puck up way more than he takes it away. JT is good on the dot, but ROR is still better.

No matter how i slice it, i can't say JT is a much better hockey player right now. In the past sure.

If I were a coach, I'd matchup up ROR against Tavares.
I expect O'Reilly would shut him down.

This is not even difficult to see happening.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Tavares but guys saying it's not even close are wrong. ROR when on is an amazing 2 way player. In reality you want Tavares as your 1A and ROR as your 1B Sabres really screwed the pooch last year. I know they had to move him with his speaking out but imagine them with Eichel and ROR this year.

Mar 26, 2010
Tavares quite handily....but ROR is a really good player.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
The poster didn't seem to be referring to just this year that Tavares is playing well defensively, but as a whole that he's actually a good defensive player (ie. most of his entire career he's been good defensively) based on this year's SKATR chart. Because Tavares' SKATR chart has quite a bit of pink/red the previous year.

Edit: I also think it's a flawed way of determining whether a player is good defensively or not based on a chart. Someone should look up Sasha Barkov's SKATR chart this season. Would anyone in their right might make the conclusion that Barkov is really, really bad defensively? If not, then why is it proof that someone is good defensively?
Hey man, wasn't making a point of my own, Moreno just saying matty has been meh this year defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad