John Tavares or Erik Karlsson?

Who would you rather see on the roster next season?

• Total voters

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I’ve wanted the sharks to get faster especially on the back end for a long time. That was our weakness against the Pens and was evident in our game last year with teams like TB and Nashville. Tavares is a possession monster and is very strong on his skates but is not fast at all which was my major concern with him. EK even with his injury will be the fastest player on the team. I’m think we are mirroring the 2007 Ducks model to a T. They didn’t have a true established 1C either. Getzlaf was second in points among Centers on the team with 58 points. Andy Macdonald had 78pts. Only difference is we don’t have a Selanne.

I haven’t been this anxious for the puck to drop in a long time. Let’s go!!!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I’ve wanted the sharks to get faster especially on the back end for a long time. That was our weakness against the Pens and was evident in our game last year with teams like TB and Nashville. Tavares is a possession monster and is very strong on his skates but is not fast at all which was my major concern with him. EK even with his injury will be the fastest player on the team. I’m think we are mirroring the 2007 Ducks model to a T. They didn’t have a true established 1C either. Getzlaf was second in points among Centers on the team with 58 points. Andy Macdonald had 78pts. Only difference is we don’t have a Selanne.

I haven’t been this anxious for the puck to drop in a long time. Let’s go!!!

Heatley was the last time i was this excited to see a player and the team in action. And that 1st season with heatley, thornton, marleau as a line was a fun one.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Karlsson is also just very underrated tbh.
I am not quite sure about that. Hard to argue that Karlsson, at worst, is a top-3 D-man in the league. I think its going to be borderline unfair when we match other teams top lines against the like of:

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Karlsson-Vlasic

I think the key is going to be sheltering Kane-Jumbo-Pavs and Ryan-Burns a little bit so that they don't match against other teams top lines. As long as they are matched again 2nd lines or worse, we are going to be in tip-top shape.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I think Karlsson is def the better player but I would have taken a completely free Tavares over the trade for Karlsson because of A.) team need since I think we needed a #1 C over another elite D-man, and B.) because we still had to give up assets to get Karlsson despite fleecing Ottawa in that deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Karlsson is def the better player but I would have taken a completely free Tavares over the trade for Karlsson because of A.) team need since I think we needed a #1 C over another elite D-man, and B.) because we still had to give up assets to get Karlsson despite fleecing Ottawa in that deal.

They could've done both with some finagling but it would've come at a heavier price obviously.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Personally I equate having arguably 3 #1 dmen is like having dominant pass rushers in the NFL. They can dictate the game and how its played and how teams play against you.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That Seattle-Chicago game was pretty brutal in that regard

The closest parallel recently is when Denver had Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware on the edge with Malik Jackson on the inside. They carried a putrid offense to a super bowl win. Well the Sharks have a solid group of offensive forwards and now have two dmen that can control the game and pace.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
BPA is not a bad rule to go by...

Yea truly.

Preferring John Tavares over Karlsson because of positional need is like preferring Hedman over McDavid because of positional need.

Karlsson is better offensively and defensively than Tavares by a fair margin. Tavares is an amazing player but Karlsson going to go down as an all time great. Tavares simply can't touch that.

I'm not saying positional need is bad. But once you are talking about players like Karlsson and McDavid. You add them regardless of where you are deep. Doing otherwise is crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tavares please. Karlsson is only slightly better than Burns on his best days.

Lol, Karlsson is a way better player than Tavares. Hockey news thinks so, even HF thinks so, you'll see now what he is capable of. He tilts the ice more than any player in the game.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Lol, Karlsson is a way better player than Tavares. Hockey news thinks so, even HF thinks so, you'll see now what he is capable of. He tilts the ice more than any player in the game.

Without Karlsson we still have Burns. But without Tavares, and possibly without Thornton in 2-3 years, we have no comparable replacements. This was the only thing I was concerned about. A lot can happen 3 years from now though.

If I had to choose between keeping Karlsson or Burns. I'd totally keep Karlsson however.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Without Karlsson we still have Burns. But without Tavares, and possibly without Thornton in 2-3 years, we have no comparable replacements. This was the only thing I was concerned about. A lot can happen 3 years from now though.

If I had to choose between keeping Karlsson or Burns. I'd totally keep Karlsson however.

Karlsson gives you a better chance to win the game than Tavares thats the bottom line. And obviously youd keep Karlsson over Burns and thats not taking into account he is 5 years younger. He is a better hockey player, really only Mcdavid and Sid are better when he is 100 percent.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Karlsson. He is the best defenseman since Lidstrom. Though Tavares would have had a bigger impact for us in the immediate future. There are a few centers I would pick over Tavares (McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon, Malkin, Kopitar) while there are 0 defenseman I would pick over Karlsson.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Karlsson. He is the best defenseman since Lidstrom. Though Tavares would have had a bigger impact for us in the immediate future. There are a few centers I would pick over Tavares (McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon, Malkin, Kopitar) while there are 0 defenseman I would pick over Karlsson.

There are 2 players i would pick over karlsson period no matter position and 1 of them is 30+ years old already. The other is 22. There are at minimum 10 i would pick over tavares

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
There are 2 players i would pick over karlsson period no matter position and 1 of them is 30+ years old already. The other is 22. There are at minimum 10 i would pick over tavares

McDavid is 21 but I get your point. A fully healthy Karlsson is the 3rd best player in the league.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Karlsson is the better player.

Tavares would have been cheaper and directly address future need down the middle.

It's funny how it worked out too because Karlsson is a way better fit for the Leafs right now and Tavares is a better fit for the Sharks.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
McDavid is 21 but I get your point. A fully healthy Karlsson is the 3rd best player in the league.

If we’re talking fully healthy and at their best I’d take Malkin over EK as well. Happy to have the best dman in the world though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->