John Tavares or Erik Karlsson?

Who would you rather see on the roster next season?

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Even with giving up assets it is Karlsson.

Vlasic - Braun
Ryan - Burns
Dillon - Karlsson

There will be a #1 D on every pairing. This would mean we could just roll all three D pairs and would be a nightmare to play against. We wouldn't need Tavares. We could go Couture - Thornton - Tierney - Fehr down the middle.

I don't think it would be enough but I would give up a 1st in 2018,2019,2020 with Heed and Lebanc. If we could get EK without giving up Meier or Hertl we would be cup favorites. Sadly with the playoffs he had I don't think Ottawa would take anything less than Hertl.

Vlasic-Braun as a pairing are a nightmare but right now that nightmare is for San Jose only. I would rather pair Vlasic with Karlsson or Burns tbh.

San Jose’s best option is probably trying to trade Pavelski for a blue chip prospect and using that prospect as the main piece for a Karlsson trade while obviously adding multiple first round picks and prospects.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Damn good question. If we come out of this offseason with one of the two, Hertl, Vlasic, Burns, and Couture, I'll be ecstatic. For Karlsson you've got to think the offer is Labanc/Meier, 1st, Norris, and some cap in the form of Dillon/Boeddker, plus taking on Bobby Ryan. With Tavares, you get 7 years cost certainty and don't have to give up any of those pieces, but with a $4-7 million greater cap hit in year one.

I think we need a future top line center more than the league's best d-man, but either one opens up a new cup window. Give me Tavares at 7*12.5.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Damn good question. If we come out of this offseason with one of the two, Hertl, Vlasic, Burns, and Couture, I'll be ecstatic. For Karlsson you've got to think the offer is Labanc/Meier, 1st, Norris, and some cap in the form of Dillon/Boeddker, plus taking on Bobby Ryan. With Tavares, you get 7 years cost certainty and don't have to give up any of those pieces, but with a $4-7 million greater cap hit in year one.

I think we need a future top line center more than the league's best d-man, but either one opens up a new cup window. Give me Tavares at 7*12.5.

I think that offer is scoffed at unless DW makes it LaBanc+Meier.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
A defenseman has led the team in scoring the last 2 years. Burns led the the team in goals last year too. If you were starting a team you'd take Karlsson over Tavares but do the Sharks need another 70-80 point d-man when they don't have a 70 point forward. If Karlsson and Tavares were both UFA then it'd be a tough choice but considering we'd have to give up young players + picks for Karlsson it's a no brainer to me.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
A defenseman has led the team in scoring the last 2 years. Burns led the the team in goals last year too. If you were starting a team you'd take Karlsson over Tavares but do the Sharks need another 70-80 point d-man when they don't have a 70 point forward. If Karlsson and Tavares were both UFA then it'd be a tough choice but considering we'd have to give up young players + picks for Karlsson it's a no brainer to me.

Karlsson is thornton at defense. I would take that over tavares.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Vlasic-Braun as a pairing are a nightmare but right now that nightmare is for San Jose only. I would rather pair Vlasic with Karlsson or Burns tbh.

San Jose’s best option is probably trying to trade Pavelski for a blue chip prospect and using that prospect as the main piece for a Karlsson trade while obviously adding multiple first round picks and prospects.

I think the days of getting a blue chip prospect in return for Pavelski are sadly over.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think I selfishly want Karlsson more because of how terrified Brown is of him.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think that offer is scoffed at unless DW makes it LaBanc+Meier.

You're totally right. I didn't make this clear, but I meant to say that at absolute best (for SJ) it's the deal I proposed. When you start talking about giving up Meier+ for Karlsson, I think (given the option) that makes Tavares a much more advantageous acquisition.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You're totally right. I didn't make this clear, but I meant to say that at absolute best (for SJ) it's the deal I proposed. When you start talking about giving up Meier+ for Karlsson, I think (given the option) that makes Tavares a much more advantageous acquisition.

Yeah, when it’s Meier or Hertl I’m backing off; those guys mean too much to our current team and I love them too much. I would hate to see LaBanc go as well.

Tavares might be the better choice tbh, given the fewer number of assets required. But it’s hard for me not to say Karlsson, just because of what he did against Pittsburgh last year.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
DW should say “f*** it”, and go hard for both of them. What does he have to lose? Star Power this team out! If he can trade for Karlsson before July 1st, it would greatly improve the chances of landing Tavares imo.

Karlsson and Ryan for Braun, Tierney, Labanc, and the 2018 21st overall pick. OTT can flip Braun for another pick/prospect.

The ability for the Sharks to absorb the Ryan contract would be the their main advantage in trading for EK65. It would make up for the lack of a blue chip prospect, top-10 pick, or multiple high picks. DW can buyout Ryan at $1,833,333 per year for 8 years. That should be nothing to someone like Hasso.

Then sign Karlsson and Tavares to matching 7 year/$70mil deals.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
DW should say “**** it”, and go hard for both of them. What does he have to lose? Star Power this team out! If he can trade for Karlsson before July 1st, it would greatly improve the chances of landing Tavares imo.

Karlsson and Ryan for Braun, Tierney, Labanc, and the 2018 21st overall pick. OTT can flip Braun for another pick/prospect.

The ability for the Sharks to absorb the Ryan contract would be the their main advantage in trading for EK65. It would make up for the lack of a blue chip prospect, top-10 pick, or multiple high picks. DW can buyout Ryan at $1,833,333 per year for 8 years. That should be nothing to someone like Hasso.

Tavares is likely getting closer to 12M/YR and I would expect Karlsson to get the same.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I said Tavares but I'm betting DW takes a run at both. If somehow it does happen I'm betting Pavs is traded. An important aspect that I haven't seen mentioned is that with either or both players, the Sharks are importing not only great players, but team captains. As much as I think Pavs has been a great captain for this team I think one of the 6mil forwards would have to go to make the salary cap numbers work not only this year but over they next 4 to 6 years with all the extensions kicking in. Who knows maybe they trade Couture, or are forced to give up hertl in the EK65 trade. I hope not. Hertl is pretty much untouchable IMO as long as it appears his freak injury phase is behind him. I'm sure they'll have to take on Bobby Ryan in any EK65 trade as well which would probably mean no Evander Kane. Going to be an exciting offseason either way.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
DW should say “**** it”, and go hard for both of them. What does he have to lose? Star Power this team out! If he can trade for Karlsson before July 1st, it would greatly improve the chances of landing Tavares imo.

Essentially do what Minnesota did with Parise and Suter 6 years ago? I’m always worried about going into cap hell like Chicago is handing out contracts like that. I still think I’d do it though. The thought of those two anchoring our team for the next 7 years is awesome.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Essentially do what Minnesota did with Parise and Suter 6 years ago? I’m always worried about going into cap hell like Chicago is handing out contracts like that. I still think I’d do it though. The thought of those two anchoring our team for the next 7 years is awesome.

Problem is toews is no where near the player his cap hit says he should be. Kane was, but that could be going away.

I am not a fan of tavares at 10+ million just not worth it to me. But atleast he is closer to that price tag then what toews is to his 9 or 10 mil price tag is.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Think about a team that could literally have one of Vlasic, Burns, Ek on the ice at ALL times haha but still I think the Sharks need a true 1C again. Getting a 1C will also make Pavs useful again.

What's wrong with getting Ek, and having Hertl the 1C?

Then move Pavelski back to the wing, and give him 1/2 the season to get back to former self. If not, TDL him for a 1st and top prospect.

Of course, signing Ek means that Kane must be signed.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Even better would be.

Burns/ryan.
Vlasic/braun
Karlsson/heed/dillon

That is 3 full pairings that could play 20 mins a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad