John Tavares or Erik Karlsson?

Who would you rather see on the roster next season?

• Total voters

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I know we probably won’t get either and don’t know what we’d have to offer Tavares or offer up for EK65 but who would you rather see in teal next year strictly based on preference?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Tavares please. Karlsson is only slightly better than Burns on his best days.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
You’re a fool if you think that. Burns can’t even make an outlet pass

Karlsson is known to make boneheaded plays just like Burns. Honestly I'd rather have Burns given the fact that he hasn't had 2 season ending injuries in his career.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
giphy.webp

Reactions: Shark Finn

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I wonder about both players. Both will be 28 at the start of next season.

Tavares' effort this season leaves much to be desired. If he comes in at 11M, he is immediately the 1C and he is immediately a big part of the leadership group. I didn't see enough of him to say anything, but the consensus was that he was checked out all season. For the past 5 years, he has generally ranked at the top of his team in advanced metrics, but his metrics were middle of the pack this year on a terrible Islanders team. Maybe somebody who watches that team more often can chime in as to why that is. After spending 10 minutes on HFBoards as my team battled elimination, down only 2 goals, because they looked totally checked out, I don't know if I want to add another player that just seems to check out at times. Despite that, he still scored 37 goals and 47 assists for 84 points; more than any player on our team today has ever scored.

Karlsson battled an injury this year and was not the same player as before, but his metrics actually ended up being mostly great, and his team was total trash this year. For a guy that probably had more of a right to be totally checked out, given rumors, and the death of his son (RIP), he played admirably.

I think Karlsson is pretty easily the better addition. Even with the regression of Burns, Karlsson will beef up the blue line of the Sharks to being near the NHL's best. San Jose can try to follow the Nashville model with Ryan, Burns, Karlsson, and Vlasic, but I don't know if that's the right model. Nashville is struggling because their forwards aren't up to par with Winnipeg's, and because Rinne sucks. Are San Jose's forwards better than Nashville's? I definitely think Jones>>>Rinne.

At the end of the day, give me Karlsson. This man single handedly carried a terrible Ottawa team towards being closer to defeating the Penguins than any other team has since the 2014-2015 season, and he did it with the same injury that plagued him this season. He is just the bigger game breaking talent and his skill set is more in line with the style the Sharks want to play.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I would push hard for Tavares. We need someone who scores. Pavelski cant do it at the rate we need him to, Hertl can't finish, and Couture is much better as a 2-way 2C than someone carrying the bulk of the offense

Reactions: Iron Mosher

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wow, am I really the only vote for Karlsson?

Did you guys see what he did last year in the playoffs? Tavares cannot do that. He is literally physically not capable. Karlsson can carry you far enough to beat a team full of superstars.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I wonder about both players. Both will be 28 at the start of next season.

Tavares' effort this season leaves much to be desired. If he comes in at 11M, he is immediately the 1C and he is immediately a big part of the leadership group. I didn't see enough of him to say anything, but the consensus was that he was checked out all season. For the past 5 years, he has generally ranked at the top of his team in advanced metrics, but his metrics were middle of the pack this year on a terrible Islanders team. Maybe somebody who watches that team more often can chime in as to why that is. After spending 10 minutes on HFBoards as my team battled elimination, down only 2 goals, because they looked totally checked out, I don't know if I want to add another player that just seems to check out at times. Despite that, he still scored 37 goals and 47 assists for 84 points; more than any player on our team today has ever scored.

Karlsson battled an injury this year and was not the same player as before, but his metrics actually ended up being mostly great, and his team was total trash this year. For a guy that probably had more of a right to be totally checked out, given rumors, and the death of his son (RIP), he played admirably.

I think Karlsson is pretty easily the better addition. Even with the regression of Burns, Karlsson will beef up the blue line of the Sharks to being near the NHL's best. San Jose can try to follow the Nashville model with Ryan, Burns, Karlsson, and Vlasic, but I don't know if that's the right model. Nashville is struggling because their forwards aren't up to par with Winnipeg's, and because Rinne sucks. Are San Jose's forwards better than Nashville's? I definitely think Jones>>>Rinne.

At the end of the day, give me Karlsson. This man single handedly carried a terrible Ottawa team towards being closer to defeating the Penguins than any other team has since the 2014-2015 season, and he did it with the same injury that plagued him this season. He is just the bigger game breaking talent and his skill set is more in line with the style the Sharks want to play.
Honestly, considering the shape of the Isles, I'd check out too.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Think about a team that could literally have one of Vlasic, Burns, Ek on the ice at ALL times haha but still I think the Sharks need a true 1C again. Getting a 1C will also make Pavs useful again.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
Karlsson, and it's not even close.

Edit: But neither, really. Even with one or the other, we're not getting past Nashville or Winnipeg any time soon. The rebuild is long overdue.

Last edited:
Reactions: StanleyCup2035

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Even with giving up assets it is Karlsson.

Vlasic - Braun
Ryan - Burns
Dillon - Karlsson

There will be a #1 D on every pairing. This would mean we could just roll all three D pairs and would be a nightmare to play against. We wouldn't need Tavares. We could go Couture - Thornton - Tierney - Fehr down the middle.

I don't think it would be enough but I would give up a 1st in 2018,2019,2020 with Heed and Lebanc. If we could get EK without giving up Meier or Hertl we would be cup favorites. Sadly with the playoffs he had I don't think Ottawa would take anything less than Hertl.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad