News Article: John Tavares IS The Islanders, Because He Wants To Be

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Thought this was a nice write up...http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/15/capellini-tavares-is-the-islanders-because-he-wants-to-be/

For all the misfortune that seems to follow the Islanders around, it’s often easy to overlook the fact that they employ one of the NHL’s true shooting stars.

In a part of the country that really treats its professional athletes like both gods and monsters, John Tavares is the one player who flies under the radar but at the same time carries the torch and aspirations of an entire fan base forever in search of respect.

When he was selected No. 1 overall in the 2009 entry draft, Tavares was viewed as the player that would be shouldered with an incredibly difficult burden, one that likely could only be handled by a player with the correct mental makeup in addition to the type of skills that would deem him worthy of being that first pick.

Tavares has been all of that and more, as both his statistics and behavior illustrate. He’ll one day be the captain of this team, and not because he’s the Islanders’ best player, but because he understands what it’s supposed to mean to be an Islander — a commitment to excellence on the ice as well as a firm understanding of the responsibility one has to the community and the product that is the Islanders off the ice.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Anyone see the top 50 players in the NHL last night on NHL Network?

JT number 20 which includes all skaters and goalies.

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
This is what 90% of the people on the trade boards do not understand and most likely never will. Tavares represents everything opposite of the Islanders of the past 20 years. While he has graciously taken that responsibility, everyone else we throw our hand out to turns around and walks away. Tavares is a hero.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Anyone see the top 50 players in the NHL last night on NHL Network?

JT number 20 which includes all skaters and goalies.

I thought it was a fair list, Tavares in the top 20 is quite a compliment.:handclap:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
This is why John Tavares is my favorite player in the NHL. Not only is he a great player, but he has probably the best attitude of any star player.

Seconded, his humbleness, yet aspirations and passion for greatness is inspiring. How could you NOT root for JT!?!

Last edited:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Seconded, his humbleness, yet aspirations and passion for greatness is inspiring. How could you NOT root for JT!?!

He's much better than Crosby in this regard. The only time he complained was when he believed he was getting jipped (sp?) by the refs for not giving him star treatment when Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc were getting it. I can't disagree with him, especially after that idiot Don Van Massenhoven called him for a dive.

Yeah, Crosby works hard and is probably the most talented player in the NHL right now, but he doesn't have the poise off the rink that JT does. That Flyers series made me lose all respect for him, and I was one of few that actually liked him.

Kids should watch Tavares and be like him. He's the epitome of being a hard working, talented hockey player and showing respect towards those that deserve it (or don't deserve it, which is also smart).

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He's much better than Crosby in this regard. The only time he complained was when he believed he was getting jipped by the refs for not giving him star treatment when Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc were getting it. I can't disagree with him, especially after that idiot Don Van Massenhoven called him for a dive.

Yeah, Crosby works hard and is probably the most talented player in the NHL right now, but he doesn't have the poise off the rink that JT does. That Flyers series made me lose all respect for him, and I was one of few that actually liked him.

Kids should watch Tavares and be like him. He's the epitome of being a hard working, talented hockey player and showing respect towards those that deserve it (or don't deserve it, which is also smart).

Yup. All of these qualities will make him a great leader and captain on and off the ice. :handclap:

bigbren92

Mar 13, 2012
Did anyone else watch Tavares' interview yesterday from camp where he said Strome was ready?

I just watched it. This guy says all of the right things. Look at the way he handled the question about Visnovsky. He is going to make an incredible captain one day. He makes me proud to call myself an Islanders fan. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

CShuckWangGoAway*

He's much better than Crosby in this regard. The only time he complained was when he believed he was getting jipped (sp?) by the refs for not giving him star treatment when Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc were getting it. I can't disagree with him, especially after that idiot Don Van Massenhoven called him for a dive.

Massendouchen is a Leafs fan from near Toronto. That was a dirty call. No doubt. Made me reconsider being an NHL fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad