Newsday: John Tavares has no desire to leave Islanders when contract is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
“I don’t really have any reason to leave and I think we have a great makeup and a team that can do something special this year,†Tavares told Newsday on Monday. “I’ve always expressed my love for playing for Long Island. It’s where I started, it’s all I know in the NHL. The opportunity they’ve given me, I would love to see it all the way through and win a Stanley Cup."

“Winning that tough series against a good team gave us the belief that we’ve got what it takes to go right to the end,†Tavares said. “I know how excited [Ledecky and Malkin] are, I know they’ve expressed their commitment, their desire to win a Stanley Cup and they want to do everything they can to make that happen. Anytime you see that type of commitment from the top it goes a long way, all the way down to the players. Definitely got some very good first impressions and looking forward to what’s ahead.â€

Reassuring to say the least

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...946?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Notice that he said Long Island and not New York or Brooklyn... Even JT wants out!!

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
What do people want him to say? "I can't wait to leave"? Seriously there's nothing to read into this whatsoever. If the Islanders are willing to pay him and are contenders by then (not likely imo), he will stay...if not he wont.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
What do people want him to say? "I can't wait to leave"? Seriously there's nothing to read into this whatsoever. If the Islanders are willing to pay him and are contenders by then (not likely imo), he will stay...if not he wont.

Could've just said "there are a lot of factors that go into signing a contract with a team for 8 years. Even if it is with a great organization such as the Islanders. This is where my career started but time flies as we have seen. I am excited for this year and not even worrying about a contract".

I'm curious as to what Stamkos was saying because I don't remember.

Do you think Tavares won't be staying since we won't be contenders then?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Could've just said "there are a lot of factors that go into signing a contract with a team for 8 years. Even if it is with a great organization such as the Islanders. This is where my career started but time flies as we have seen. I am excited for this year and not even worrying about a contract".

I'm curious as to what Stamkos was saying because I don't remember.

Do you think Tavares won't be staying since we won't be contenders then?

I don't recall stamkos saying much, but then again, I didn't really start paying attention to his contract situation until towards the end.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Of course this is the first comment, lol. Love you Bones

LOL

Sammyigbm.jpg

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
But he has to say that! What else is he supposed to say?!?!?! He's just lying until he comes to Toronto. Look at what Kevin Durant did! They're obviously the same person. That or he'll pull a Lebron for Toronto because Toronto is a Tavares away from going to the finals for 4 years straight!!1!!1!!

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
great to hear, but things can change quickly if we have a crappy year....the time to become a legitimate contender is now

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Didn't Lebron say the same thing with each team he went to? You guys are so gullible. It really means nothing.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Notice that he said Long Island and not New York or Brooklyn... Even JT wants out!!

Oh I get it, it's a negotiation tactic for Barclays!

Or it could be that he's one of those transplants who mistakenly think Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.

Schwartzee

Mar 29, 2007
Not attempting to keep the pot stirred, since I believe we’re all moving on. Some of your comments were on the money 2 years ago. Apparently, some in the fan base knew better before it ever became a question.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
great to hear, but things can change quickly if we have a crappy year....the time to become a legitimate contender is now

And there you have it folks. Four months after the Isles won a playoff round, things were looking good. Two shitty years later and, well, you know the rest. This is on Snow and ownership.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Class vs NO CLASS

Milstein says Panarin -- who is entering the final year of his contract -- has been forthright with the team throughout the process.

"There's never been a disagreement or an argument," Milstein said. "We've been truthful and honest. I told (Panarin) of the risk, but he said it was a good time to let the team know so that they can plan ahead. We told them before the draft."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad