Confirmed with Link: John Slaney named Assistant Coach

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Nice. The defense I'm worried about are the young ones. So if Slaney is going to focus on Gormley, Stone, Murphy, etc. I'm relieved.

He'll already have a history with those guys from Portland, too, so that's a :handclap: from me.

Joe Cooley

Lurker Extraordinaire
May 25, 2003
Maricopa, Az
Also noticed Newell Brown stood out among the coaches. Maybe because I was at that end of the ice. But he seamed most vocal and players were very attentive when running his drills.

As for Playfair when there was a break and only coaches on the ice they were all talking to each other except he was standing alone for a bit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also noticed Newell Brown stood out among the coaches. Maybe because I was at that end of the ice. But he seamed most vocal and players were very attentive when running his drills.

As for Playfair when there was a break and only coaches on the ice they were all talking to each other except he was standing alone for a bit.

I noticed that also. He was very vocal, was smiling ear to ear when a player screwed up, went over to that player and talked to him. The way it looked he was having a blast watching the kids.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I have known John most of my life. It's great to see a fantastic individual get a shot at the NHL level. He was such a great player it always amazed me that he really didn't excel at the NHL level. In today's game with emphasis on skating and puck moving D he would have been a really good player.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Playfair is definitely out. NHL.com has Slaney already, no Playfair. They must have quietly let his contract expire or something.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sean Burke is still listed on the Yotes site. Haha.

Rolston is still there as a scout. It doesn't get updated often. The NHL.com coaching index does, apparently.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Playfair is definitely out. NHL.com has Slaney already, no Playfair. They must have quietly let his contract expire or something.

Maybe he's headed for Springfield? Strange that he would be involved if he's not going to be involved with the org in some capacity.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maybe he's headed for Springfield? Strange that he would be involved if he's not going to be involved with the org in some capacity.

Not that strange. Management asks a favor of a friend; be an extra body and voice at the camp, before they announce his official departure.

I doubt he'd take an assistant AHL job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad