The Sun: John Scott: "Princess Phaneuf"

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
You, Scott...you couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe...

I lost my train of thought.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Suh is the NFL's version of Scott, with the notable exception being that Suh is actually capable of playing the sport he is employed to play.

Suh is the Detroit Lions DT who has repeatedly gotten it trouble for cheap/dirty plays.

Oh sorry, I don't follow football so that's why I asked. Thanks.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Career NHL fights:

Dion Phaneuf: 37
John Scott: 35

Who cares was John Scott thinks, he is irrelevant.
Players don't fight Scott because he can absolutely destroy them. Say what you will but I didn't see our tough guys do much of anything to stop him from playing very physical and taking liberties with our team. Scott was an effective player for Buffalo in that back to back & ours were ineffective and an embarrassment. Scott's line drew a penalty against our top players that resulted in a goal, played the body hard on our team both nights, gave a few little shots that resulted in one player going to the quiet room, and drew our best defenceman by a country mile into taking an extra two minute penalty that Buffalo capitalized on to bring the game within reach on Saturday. He also played respectable fourth line minutes rather than the usual goon-time he gets.

Say what you will about the guy but Colton doesn't have much more class, is a less effective fighter and an even less effective enforcer. Our team looked soft playing against Buffalo of all teams.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
John Scott is a fantasy camp pituitary case who thinks he has the right to speak about other NHLers like Phaneuf as if they were peers and equals. They're not. He's useless.

sakicisgod

Sep 30, 2009
Leafs fan here, but Phaneuf IS a princess. He bailed. Not to mention, every single shift of every single game, he refuses to be the first man to the puck. Watch a game with this in mind, he really is terrified of getting hit, IT SEEMS.

mikebel111*

Leafs fan here, but Phaneuf IS a princess. He bailed. Not to mention, every single shift of every single game, he refuses to be the first man to the puck. Watch a game with this in mind, he really is terrified of getting hit, IT SEEMS.

Are u serious,
The guy is our best d man. Thats why he wont fight that much. He plays the important minutes. He is always in the corners. Usually the first one there

U need to watch the games

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

I can understand how an uneducated fan who knows little about the game would view poor breakouts and defensive zone turnovers as Dion being second to the puck. When a winger turns the puck over at the blue line and the other teams dmen dumps it for the forward in Dions corner, you're right he has to initiate contact because his team doesn't have possession.

My condolences. Hopefully as you watch more games you're eye for the game will develop

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I can understand how an uneducated fan who knows little about the game would view poor breakouts and defensive zone turnovers as Dion being second to the puck. When a winger turns the puck over at the blue line and the other teams dmen dumps it for the forward in Dions corner, you're right he has to initiate contact because his team doesn't have possession.

My condolences. Hopefully as you watch more games you're eye for the game will develop

Phaneuf actually does pull the chute on a regular basis. There are times and situations where that is the smart thing to do. Unfortunately, Phaneuf does bail out on important plays. It's not as often as the above poster implies, but it is concerning.

Want a good example of what he's talking about, go watch Boston's empty net goal from a few weeks ago. 100% caused by Phaneuf not wanting to be the first one to touch the puck.

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
Phaneuf actually does pull the chute on a regular basis. There are times and situations where that is the smart thing to do. Unfortunately, Phaneuf does bail out on important plays. It's not as often as the above poster implies, but it is concerning.

Want a good example of what he's talking about, go watch Boston's empty net goal from a few weeks ago. 100% caused by Phaneuf not wanting to be the first one to touch the puck.

Yup and he did it on Friday/Saturday a handful of times as well against Buffalo.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
What exactly classifies as "pulling the chute"?

Every time someone avoids a hit or makes a play and then avoids a hit?

Do you actually expect a player to take every single hit if they can get out of the way? Phaneuf and tons of other players make plays and then avoid hits...'it's self preservation

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What exactly classifies as "pulling the chute"?

Every time someone avoids a hit or makes a play and then avoids a hit?

Do you actually expect a player to take every single hit if they can get out of the way? Phaneuf and tons of other players make plays and then avoid hits...'it's self preservation

Just ask yourself one question before a hit - what can I accomplish by taking this hit? If the answer is nothing, there is no point getting hit. If the answer is something that is going to help the team, you better make the play and eat the hit. "Pulling the chute" is when a player bails out on the 2nd situation.

hockeyfanz*

John Scott's career will be over like Kaleta's soon enough. He'll get two, maybe 3 more seasons… if he's lucky.

You must be joking...Scott is a buffoon but there are idiot GMs around the league who will employ this plug as long as other teams employ goon plugs. Scott will keep working..If Buffalo releases him..Calgary will pick him up. LOL

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Players don't fight Scott because he can absolutely destroy them. Say what you will but I didn't see our tough guys do much of anything to stop him from playing very physical and taking liberties with our team. Scott was an effective player for Buffalo in that back to back & ours were ineffective and an embarrassment. Scott's line drew a penalty against our top players that resulted in a goal, played the body hard on our team both nights, gave a few little shots that resulted in one player going to the quiet room, and drew our best defenceman by a country mile into taking an extra two minute penalty that Buffalo capitalized on to bring the game within reach on Saturday. He also played respectable fourth line minutes rather than the usual goon-time he gets.

Say what you will about the guy but Colton doesn't have much more class, is a less effective fighter and an even less effective enforcer. Our team looked soft playing against Buffalo of all teams.

I was at the game and Scott turned down about half a dozen invitations from Orr and McLaren, he wouldn't even look at Orr in the scrums.

SNLeafaholic

Oct 20, 2013
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/1...-dubbed-princess-phaneuf-by-sabres-john-scott

Thoughts?

Side Note: If Scott wanted to fight, he had 2 willing combatants...wonder why he didn't accept either invitations. I thought Orr and McLaren seemed interested (McLaren actaully always seems interested to fight xD)

John Scott is the second biggest goof in the league(next to Chara) he can spot off all he wants about Dion but the fact remains he scurried away from Orr/McLaren all night long but he is big and tough infront of the camera..Leafs to a man can say they do not care what he says buy you and I know full well that #28 and 38 will be waiting for him again at the end of November..

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Players don't fight Scott because he can absolutely destroy them.

Is this the same John Scott that had Orr and McLaren beat him up on separate occasions? I remember a game where they both lined up beside him at the faceoff and were begging him to fight them. You're drunk.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
you wouldn't see these comments made to the media by a player from an organization with class.

#buffalol.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I was at the game and Scott turned down about half a dozen invitations from Orr and McLaren, he wouldn't even look at Orr in the scrums.

THIS.

And then chirps to the media the day after the home-and-home.

I don't think 'Big John' gets the opportunity to turn down a dance the next time they face the Leafs.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Is this the same John Scott that had Orr and McLaren beat him up on separate occasions? I remember a game where they both lined up beside him at the faceoff and were begging him to fight them. You're drunk.
Ha. Get lucky with one body shot (and get demolished in another fight) and all of a sudden the reigning heavyweight is nothing. Please. Scott ran around and was effective both of the recent games and gooned up on our top player with no response. Normally "enforcers" are only effective when they actually enforce something and change the way the other team plays. Leafs have two and neither of them did anything except fall down.

hockeyfanz*

Ha. Get lucky with one body shot (and get demolished in another fight) and all of a sudden the reigning heavyweight is nothing. Please. Scott ran around and was effective both of the recent games and gooned up on our top player with no response. Normally "enforcers" are only effective when they actually enforce something and change the way the other team plays. Leafs have two and neither of them did anything except fall down.

I kinda agree..to think Jon Scott is afraid of anybody in the NHL......I think it was more the new coach telling him or warning him to not be a sideshow and try and get the Sabres to focus on getting some points. After all it was the Leafs seeking revenge so Scott didn't need to go.. I'm sure both Orr and McLaren were willing combatants and asking him to go. Its the kind of sideshow that I believe diminishes the sport..but thats another conversation all together...:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad