GDT: John Scott All Star Weekend 2016

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I knew this all-star game would be fun to watch, didn't think I would have enjoyed it that much.

Loved everything about it. So happy for John too. Heart warming weekend. The ASG is finally exciting again.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, I was enthralled watching to see if it would end in a 0-0 tie, and one shutout in the final was great for the game, I thought.

Got to thinking about John Scott. Glad to see they embraced him. JR bench interview when he left hand compliments him "you don't look out of place out there" was a bit queasy. Scott handled everything with class.

The NHL, AZ and MTL all tried to quash this whole thing, but that's what you get in exchange for getting some more fan connection. Sometimes there will be a movement for a 'non deserving" player. Of course, you could make the case that Jagr was a non-deserving player, too, but no one complained because of his legend.

I actually think the NHL ought to embrace it. Maybe have a slate for one journeyman a year to be voted into the game to symbolize all the non-all stars, who work just as hard. The lunch bucket attendee, the kind of player fans love. Every year, between that and a last year legend, like Jagr, probably last all star game, a fighter, a guy coming back from injury, etc., there could be a great story in there for the NHL to exploit.

Maybe one of each type in every division, who knows. I guess it could be overdone, like more than one outdoor game every year. Not unlike the NHL to over cook a good idea into something less good......and before you argue that its not traditional and ruins the game, please note the 3 on 3 is not traditional, the ever changing format is not traditional hockey (E vs W, America vs Euro, etc. have all been tried)

Just MHO.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yes, I was enthralled watching to see if it would end in a 0-0 tie, and one shutout in the final was great for the game, I thought.

Got to thinking about John Scott. Glad to see they embraced him. JR bench interview when he left hand compliments him "you don't look out of place out there" was a bit queasy. Scott handled everything with class.

The NHL, AZ and MTL all tried to quash this whole thing, but that's what you get in exchange for getting some more fan connection. Sometimes there will be a movement for a 'non deserving" player. Of course, you could make the case that Jagr was a non-deserving player, too, but no one complained because of his legend.

I actually think the NHL ought to embrace it. Maybe have a slate for one journeyman a year to be voted into the game to symbolize all the non-all stars, who work just as hard. The lunch bucket attendee, the kind of player fans love. Every year, between that and a last year legend, like Jagr, probably last all star game, a fighter, a guy coming back from injury, etc., there could be a great story in there for the NHL to exploit.

Maybe one of each type in every division, who knows. I guess it could be overdone, like more than one outdoor game every year. Not unlike the NHL to over cook a good idea into something less good......

Just MHO.

The NBC crew handled the entire thing very, very poorly. JR and Milbury especially.

I will ever understand why those two have kept their jobs for so long. I only watched the Skills Comp., and I wanted to turn it off every time JR said something. He just doesn't belong on TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad