Player Discussion John Moore

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I like Moore - thought he fluctuated between good and very good till got caught in numbers game

Read on Twitter his signing is sneaky bad like Backes

So I scrolled through the persons tweets

Conclusion

Very passionate Bruins fan

Clueless - or maybe it’s me since we were 180 degrees apart on almost everyone of the persons takes

What made me think it was him is he never let facts get in the way

I like Moore also. He is very good value on a reasonable contract with term.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My favorite road games the past 10 years both ended 4-0 in score and playoff series

1. June 15, 2011 at Vancouver

2. May 2019 at Carolina

the more dominant was the Carolina game ~ Bruins transition was phenomenal

Two interesting tidbits abort that Carolina game

Chara was out injured

John Moore was often paired with McAvoy

he also had a dislocated shoulder

the 6 D that game - McAvoy played with both Moore & Grzelcyk

Moore - McAvoy
Krug- Carlo
Grzelcyk- Clifton

yes I don’t see the suckage others do

that said I would try and move him but if they can’t not freakin out over it

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
My favorite road games the past 10 years both ended 4-0 in score and playoff series

1. June 15, 2011 at Vancouver

2. May 2019 at Carolina

the more dominant was the Carolina game ~ Bruins transition was phenomenal

Two interesting tidbits abort that Carolina game

Chara was out injured

John Moore was often paired with McAvoy

he also had a dislocated shoulder

the 6 D that game - McAvoy played with both Moore & Grzelcyk

Moore - McAvoy
Krug- Carlo
Grzelcyk- Clifton

yes I don’t see the suckage others do

that said I would try and move him but if they can’t not freakin out over it

He is not a bad player at all, just redundant when they signed him. It might be good if they kept him if both Chara and Krug are gone. He is probably making a little too much for a third pairing guy, but if the left side ends up being he, Gryz, Lauzon, Vaak/Zboril/Ahcan/Zech then he will earn it.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Moore has looked pretty good in this short stint. I have to imagine there is a team out there that could use him as a 6D, especially if the Bruins retain 500k or so. Maybe a Detroit type who is looking to compete but not necessarily win right now. By all accounts, he's a great teammate, so probably a good positive veteran presence for a team like that.

Reactions: HustleB

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Moore has looked pretty good in this short stint. I have to imagine there is a team out there that could use him as a 6D, especially if the Bruins retain 500k or so. Maybe a Detroit type who is looking to compete but not necessarily win right now. By all accounts, he's a great teammate, so probably a good positive veteran presence for a team like that.

Thinking this is the type of player Sweeney would be looking for at the deadline.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Do you really want Steven Kampfer in the lineup?

Right now, only 6 teams have more cap space than the Bruins and 5 of them are non-playoff teams. Cap is not a problem and no need to rush Moore out the door.
Ya I don’t mind him off the bench. He probably is their worst defender but he still a decent nhl d. I don’t love his gap control or his first pass. But he works hard and can skate as good as most the league.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Now that he's had a few games he is looking pretty decent- he's a solid NHL defenseman. The timing stuff is getting better as you'd expect for a guy that is shaking off a healthy layer of rust. With the Bruins having their annual St. Valentine's Day Defenseman Massacre, the Bruins are lucky to have a guy that good as their #8 on the depth chart.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Sure seems like every year lately I'm wondering why they carry 9 NHL caliber defensemen, then a few weeks into the season they're dressing their #9 defenseman.

It's the most overlooked part of roster building by fans. Bruins have dressed 9 to 10 dmen just about every year for well over a decade now. Injuries/poor play will always happen, which is why depth is so important. Teams need those vets coming off the bench or kid on the cusp but stashed in the AHL.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
John Moore is certainly far from perfect, especially in his own end, but being the 7th+ defenseman isn't an easy job as well as simultaneously being a thankless job. That said, Moore looked good against Philly and I think people are generally way too harsh on him. Seems like its always the same group of contrarians who despise him because they dislike Sweeney, his philosophy or the contract given to John Moore. I don’t imagine it's an easy task, going from long stretches of being dormant to suddenly having to go into the lineup and be expected to be solid, that is.

His contract is far from an anchor and I suspect he could be moved with relative ease (sweetener maybe), especially looking around the league and seeing some of the defensemen that are seeing regular TOI around the league. However, I truly don't think Sweeney has been looking to move him with haste or at all. His contract isn't hurting the Bruins and they have plenty of cap space to add players or make roster maneuvers with ease, as seen recently with this team.

TL:DR - John Moore isn't perfect, but he's mobile, keeps up with the play and has a really good shot when he's in position to use it. He's a solid, serviceable bottom-pair defender who has the thankless job of coming in and out of the lineup with little time to prepare or get into his groove, like any other defender who's usually an extra. Not perfect, but the Bruins can do far worse than John Moore as their spare defenseman, even at his cap hit and term.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
When John Moore played for the Devils he weakness was his defense but not as bad as some. Scale the weakness 5 being average he was a 4. But on the offense side 5 being average he was a 7. So in My opinion he belongs with the Bruins as the 7th defenseman playing every 3 games. Manage him so he doesn't have rust like from a month or month and a half of not playing. If the Bruins waive him he will be gone in a heartbeat. If they offer him up as a rental he will be picked up in a heartbeat. So I must ask: Why are we trying to get rid of him now? I know defense wins in the playoffs but you can't win without a score. We have seen worse defensive players playing for the Bruins.

Go Bruins

Last edited:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
John Moore is certainly far from perfect, especially in his own end, but being the 7th+ defenseman isn't an easy job as well as simultaneously being a thankless job. That said, Moore looked good against Philly and I think people are generally way too harsh on him. Seems like its always the same group of contrarians who despise him because they dislike Sweeney, his philosophy or the contract given to John Moore. I don’t imagine it's an easy task, going from long stretches of being dormant to suddenly having to go into the lineup and be expected to be solid, that is.

His contract is far from an anchor and I suspect he could be moved with relative ease (sweetener maybe), especially looking around the league and seeing some of the defensemen that are seeing regular TOI around the league. However, I truly don't think Sweeney has been looking to move him with haste or at all. His contract isn't hurting the Bruins and they have plenty of cap space to add players or make roster maneuvers with ease, as seen recently with this team.

TL:DR - John Moore isn't perfect, but he's mobile, keeps up with the play and has a really good shot when he's in position to use it. He's a solid, serviceable bottom-pair defender who has the thankless job of coming in and out of the lineup with little time to prepare or get into his groove, like any other defender who's usually an extra. Not perfect, but the Bruins can do far worse than John Moore as their spare defenseman, even at his cap hit and term.
You correct he gas been ok. I just really don’t like a 2,700,000 cap hit. It’s contracts like this that keep the Bruins from signing guys in the off season.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I think the coaching staff is too hard on him. He should be the seventh guy and they’re using him as 9 or 10. He’s better than that, and I think it’s a big reason he gets so much shit around here. $2.75M/yr isn’t bad for a player of his caliber, but it sure looks bad if he’s #10 on the depth chart. And for another three years too.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
he's a perfect guy to have around for this season. worry about moving his final 2 years over the summer.

Reactions: DominicT

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think the coaching staff is too hard on him. He should be the seventh guy and they’re using him as 9 or 10. He’s better than that, and I think it’s a big reason he gets so much shit around here. $2.75M/yr isn’t bad for a player of his caliber, but it sure looks bad if he’s #10 on the depth chart. And for another three years too.
Going to be really glad we have him though if we lose a LD during the expansion draft.

Reactions: HustleB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
this guy doesn`t get enough props for being a true professional, far lesser players have bitched and whined about less than he has sitting for most of the first quarter/half of the season but nothing but crickets from him, from all accounts, has continued to work hard and be ready

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Glad I’m not alone.

He really isn’t bad at all. Especially for a guy who jumps in the lineup in what seems like once every 15-20 games.

Makes too much to be doing that for sure.. . But imo he really could easily be a bottom pairing regular in this league. Bs have a lot of depth at defense. And it really pays off in times like these.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
he stood up for a teammate immediately when he was coming off of major shoulder surgery, he’s always going to be ok in my book

It was quick and it wasn’t pretty but the disregard for his own well-being while sticking up for Pastrnak stuck out to me

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Glad I’m not alone.

He really isn’t bad at all. Especially for a guy who jumps in the lineup in what seems like once every 15-20 games.

Makes too much to be doing that for sure.. . But imo he really could easily be a bottom pairing regular in this league. Bs have a lot of depth at defense. And it really pays off in times like these.

No, he’s not that bad. Look at who’s always overly critical of him though. It’s always the same few contrarians who coexist here, on Reddit and on Twitter. It’s the same guys who harp on anything this team does unless their precious little spreadsheets agree.

Not discrediting analytics or underlying metrics, so to everyone reading this, unclench your fist and breathe. My point is that there’s far more to these situations than metrics and John Moore really isn’t as bad as they make him out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad