Player Discussion John Moore

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
he was playing fantastic IMO until Miller came back...then he sat....then he played some right side which I don't like him at, then he stunk, then he sat...He was basically a full time player for 5 years (sans injuries) then played 3/4 a season here which must have been rough on him

I honestly think that he is a trade candidate this offseason for a team that thinks he can play a bigger role than what he is getting in Boston. The only reservation I think the Bruins will have is that management feels Seattle will take him in the draft and if management moves Moore then someone else they covet will be taken.

Reactions: bbfan419

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
Disclaimer: I havent been able to watch much of the finals (trying to catch up on vacation here as much as possible after the fact).

I really liked him as a versatile lineup player. He can fill in anywhere and I liked his play. Sure hes no Doughty or Weber, but hes a very capable player that I'm comfortable using in any situation. I'm never saying to myself, "DAMN, Moore is out there right now!"

I've seen some criticism of him but every player out there makes mistakes but hes been in and out of the lineup. Hard to get a rhythm out there playing like that.

I've also been impressed by Gryzlek (spelling?) So I'm happy with whoever plays at this point. Personally I'd take Moore.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I liked Moore all year. I thought he looked good in a top4 role early on when we were beset with injuries. He looked like that was where he belonged. I think it probably hurt to go from playing important minutes (and handling it well) to sitting out, but he was a good soldier about it. It's crazy to think that he's going to go into next season as the 7th guy. If the Bruins do absolutely nothing they have a 4th pair of Moore-Miller that could be a good second pair on a lot of teams.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I liked Moore all year. I thought he looked good in a top4 role early on when we were beset with injuries. He looked like that was where he belonged. I think it probably hurt to go from playing important minutes (and handling it well) to sitting out, but he was a good soldier about it. It's crazy to think that he's going to go into next season as the 7th guy. If the Bruins do absolutely nothing they have a 4th pair of Moore-Miller that could be a good second pair on a lot of teams.

What an amazing turnaround for the Bruins defensive depth in a few short years. Moore in the bottom pair means the rotation is really good. Using him as the 7th defenseman is extraordinary.

You have to wonder whether all that talent (plus Vaakanainen, Lauzon and Zboril on the way) will tempt GM Sweeney to trade one or more of the veterans (Krug/Miller) for upgrades in the forward ranks or cap relief.

jangerhofer

Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire
I am a week behind on this article, but I am curious to hear whether HFers believe this analysis and assessment carries any water.

John Moore had a great first impression...that soured pretty quickly.

Scanning the thread history and recalling vague memories of reactions to lineups which included Moore, I expect that people will disagree with the premise.

Personally, I think the conclusion is way off base and the evidence presented is pretty shaky. Moore was in his first year in Boston, often played on his off-side, and didn’t see a lot of consistent stretches of playing time. Those mitigating circumstances alone suggest to me that the article is too negative or is written with too high a standard in mind. I think the author also under-appreciates the performances Moore did log. He very well may have been brought in as a 3rd pairing guy or 7th man (the latter particularly relevant with the expansion draft looming) but on the ice alone, he played a fair number of effective top four minutes. In short, the article is several leaps too harsh in my opinion.

What do you think? Fair evaluation or off-season bait?

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I am a week behind on this article, but I am curious to hear whether HFers believe this analysis and assessment carries any water.

John Moore had a great first impression...that soured pretty quickly.

Scanning the thread history and recalling vague memories of reactions to lineups which included Moore, I expect that people will disagree with the premise.

Personally, I think the conclusion is way off base and the evidence presented is pretty shaky. Moore was in his first year in Boston, often played on his off-side, and didn’t see a lot of consistent stretches of playing time. Those mitigating circumstances alone suggest to me that the article is too negative or is written with too high a standard in mind. I think the author also under-appreciates the performances Moore did log. He very well may have been brought in as a 3rd pairing guy or 7th man (the latter particularly relevant with the expansion draft looming) but on the ice alone, he played a fair number of effective top four minutes. In short, the article is several leaps too harsh in my opinion.

What do you think? Fair evaluation or off-season bait?

Off-season bait.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I wonder if theres a soft landing spot for moore in Ottawa? I think he would be top 4 on their depth chart and hes reasonable paid for a top 4... gives them someone to expose in the expansion draft.

im strongly leaning towards signing krug/keeping grezlyck at least until the expansion draft... and then working in lauzon and/or vaakanainen once chara moves on...

thats more than enough nhl left hand defense depth to feel moore is expandable.

move moore… part ways with miller... replace both with elc guys... free up 3 million to throw at krug and his raise... go forward with mcavoy/carlo/krug and then grezlyck/chara as your 5 vets and work a kid into the lineup...

I guess the time table for moores return could be anything up to December but if he comes back quicker id definitely be on the phone cause Ottawa seems to have the need now and definitely have the cap room

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wonder if theres a soft landing spot for moore in Ottawa? I think he would be top 4 on their depth chart and hes reasonable paid for a top 4... gives them someone to expose in the expansion draft.

im strongly leaning towards signing krug/keeping grezlyck at least until the expansion draft... and then working in lauzon and/or vaakanainen once chara moves on...

thats more than enough nhl left hand defense depth to feel moore is expandable.

move moore… part ways with miller... replace both with elc guys... free up 3 million to throw at krug and his raise... go forward with mcavoy/carlo/krug and then grezlyck/chara as your 5 vets and work a kid into the lineup...

I guess the time table for moores return could be anything up to December but if he comes back quicker id definitely be on the phone cause Ottawa seems to have the need now and definitely have the cap room

Jets are in some state on the back end

Any way we cut it, Moore has to get healthy first and play a bit for other teams to be interested I would have to think

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Jets are in some state on the back end

Any way we cut it, Moore has to get healthy first and play a bit for other teams to be interested I would have to think

I think you're right. Six months plus to recover/rehab an injury gives you an idea of how serious an injury he suffered. Plus he might not be the same player he was before the injury, you never know how these things are going to go.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think you're right. Six months plus to recover/rehab an injury gives you an idea of how serious an injury he suffered. Plus he might not be the same player he was before the injury, you never know how these things are going to go.

agreed and if I`m a GM of a team, no matter how desperate I am for a D-man, no way am I calling the B`s to ask about either Moore or Miller until I see them play and stay playing without having to go on the injury list again

Reactions: BMC

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Our healthiest D-man missed 10 games last year, defensive depth was beyond critical. I don't want to get rid of any D-man right now if we don't need to.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Here is my 2020 off-season and John Moore plays a role.

1.) Offer-sheet Josh Anderson for $7.2M, Bruins give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2020
2.) Bruins trade Danton Heinen and John Moore to Ottawa for the SJS 1st, DAL 2nd and STL 6th rounders. (B's end up with 1st, 2nd, 5th, 2 6ths and a 7th in the next draft.
3.) Resign DeBrusk ($4mx4), Gryz ($3m x 4), Krug ($7m x 4), Coyle ($6m x 5), Bjork ($1.25m x 2) and Kuhlman ($1275000 x 2)
4) Bring up Keyser, Steen and Vaakanainen
5) Bury Backes

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Anderson
Bjork - Coyle - Steen
Blidh - Kuraly - Kuhlman
Lindholm

Gryz - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Vaak - Clifton
Kampfer

Rask
Keyser

Cap comes out to around $83M...so hopefully there is a bump in the cap...

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
All of these things can be true:

A) John Moore is a warrior for playing through his injury

B) He is a luxury for a team that would have benefitted more from him off the team than him on it this past offseason

C) He can skate really well and gives off the impression of being a modern NHL player, but he's more Joe Morrow than Matt Grzelcyk

D) He had terrible underlying results last year, right in line with what we've seen every single year of his career

E) The Bruins need bodies for defensive depth, but they don't someone who has a history of bad results and who has term. Cheap, short term guys who can play in a pinch like Kampfer make way more sense

F) His contract was a really bad idea at the time it was signed and looks even worse now, due to all of the above except A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Once he's healthy, he's going to do just fine.

The system is not an easy one to learn and when you come from an offense first organization, it is no shock that his numbers weren't great last year.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I'd like to see what his advanced stats were when he was a regular before being benched for the porcelain doll.

Not bad, not great, with the caveat that it was only an 11 game sample and he was getting heavy OZ starts (more than Grz).

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

But again, that's a small sample size. His career results have always been pretty poor, except for an outlier year in the shortened 12-13 season. Looking at his goals above replacement, which accounts for usage, teammates, opposition, deployment, etc., he's always been below what his physical skills would otherwise lead people to believe:
78JJ2nS.png

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Here is my 2020 off-season and John Moore plays a role.

1.) Offer-sheet Josh Anderson for $7.2M, Bruins give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2020
2.) Bruins trade Danton Heinen and John Moore to Ottawa for the SJS 1st, DAL 2nd and STL 6th rounders. (B's end up with 1st, 2nd, 5th, 2 6ths and a 7th in the next draft.
3.) Resign DeBrusk ($4mx4), Gryz ($3m x 4), Krug ($7m x 4), Coyle ($6m x 5), Bjork ($1.25m x 2) and Kuhlman ($1275000 x 2)
4) Bring up Keyser, Steen and Vaakanainen
5) Bury Backes

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Anderson
Bjork - Coyle - Steen
Blidh - Kuraly - Kuhlman
Lindholm

Gryz - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Vaak - Clifton
Kampfer

Rask
Keyser

Cap comes out to around $83M...so hopefully there is a bump in the cap...

I think the Bruins are going to be very leery of offering big coin to power forward types for awhile. Beleskey, Hayes, Backes have all worn out their usefulness at an alarming rate and their contracts became an issue the team has had to deal with.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think the Bruins are going to be very leery of offering big coin to power forward types for awhile. Beleskey, Hayes, Backes have all worn out their usefulness at an alarming rate and their contracts became an issue the team has had to deal with.

Good thought here, and also it seems like if they want what those three have done, they probably have a Trent Frederic or Bett Ritchie that could at least be as effective as Jimmy Hayes wasn't, or Beleskey after his first season.

Reactions: JOKER 192

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
agreed and if I`m a GM of a team, no matter how desperate I am for a D-man, no way am I calling the B`s to ask about either Moore or Miller until I see them play and stay playing without having to go on the injury list again

I doubt Miller will get you anything given his knee
injury and general injury history.

Bruins might be better off LTIR them until playoffs
and see how guys like Lauzon, Vaak and Zboril do.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Moore - thought he fluctuated between good and very good till got caught in numbers game

Read on Twitter his signing is sneaky bad like Backes

So I scrolled through the persons tweets

Conclusion

Very passionate Bruins fan

Clueless - or maybe it’s me since we were 180 degrees apart on almost everyone of the persons takes

What made me think it was him is he never let facts get in the way

Reactions: PB37

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think it's a tough call to make. Do you go with the guy currently playing well or do you go with the guy coming off a head injury but was an important fixture in your transition game? I'm honestly not sure.
I don’t think the will have to

Those were in the early days of this administration when arrows were flying and they missed the playoffs

Best way to learn is from a mistake

They made plenty and have admitted it but they are better for it

The team/organization is good, deep, and balanced.

That’s the goal in my world for a sports team

They are drafting and signing sneaky very well

Quinn Olson will have a better NHL career than more than 50% of that first round

Lock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad