Player Discussion John Moore

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
searched for a thread on john moore, but didn't see anything. he steps in for grzelcyk, assuming MG is out for the foreseeable future. moore had a 20 game stretch from oct to dec where he played about 22 minutes a night (part of that time was when all the injuries hit). i recall him playing quite well.

thoughts on moore going forward? obviously his feet are his main weapon and b's will need that, getting out of the zone cleaner and getting up ice.

Reactions: Turk 16

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
searched for a thread on john moore, but didn't see anything. he steps in for grzelcyk, assuming MG is out for the foreseeable future. moore had a 20 game stretch from oct to dec where he played about 22 minutes a night (part of that time was when all the injuries hit). i recall him playing quite well.

thoughts on moore going forward? obviously his feet are his main weapon and b's will need that, getting out of the zone cleaner and getting up ice.

He's not as adept as Grzelcyk with handling the puck, but he's a very good skater and his size will certainly be a plus in this series. I think he'll be just fine and will allow Cassidy to keep his pairings together, plus he'll be playing the left side which is where he's better

Reactions: BMC and Orr2Neely8

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hes the better player than Gryzlyk and was excellent filling in for Chara. This is a good move for us.

Reactions: Turk 16

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Shouldn't be a huge difference here. Moore is a little bigger and stronger, he can skate well and move the puck. He's not as good with the puck as Grizz, but he should do just fine.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not sure how you can come to this conclusion. He's good but Grzelcyk is better.

We need the bigger guy in. I don't think Gryz could step up and eat some of Chara or Krugs minutes if asked. Moore can and he might be asked to. Chara broke down vs Chicago 6 years ago. Gryz has had a nice playoff run and I'm not trying to take away from that but this is a change we had to make injury or not. Clifton has been the better of the two on the bottom pair by far. Sorry I'm not putting a ton of weight in a couple goals scored in G2 blowout vs a bad Carolina team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Moore will be fine on his natural left side next to Clifton. Gryz is better but I think John's size may help...he also has a nasty streak that I hope we see.

The luxury with Moore is, as you stated, has a bit of nasty in him, hardly a bruiser but is far more likely to be able to clear a guy from the front of the net than Grizz would be which isn`t a slap at Grizz, it`s simply a matter of size. Moore is mobile and has size, not too worried about a drop off

Won`t matter if the rest of the boys don`t pull their heads out of their butts. Thankfully I`m not a massive believer in momentum from game to game. I think momentum tends to die off the moment the final horn blows and is created in game only

Reactions: BMC and trenton1

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Moore will be fine on his natural left side next to Clifton. Gryz is better but I think John's size may help...he also has a nasty streak that I hope we see.
I think he compliments Clifton a bit better personally. Gryz-Clifton have been great, but against a team like the Blues I'd prefer we don't have two really small guys on the same pairing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I remember when all the injuries hit on the back line posting that Moore was a godsend, playing important and quality minutes.

Hope he can return to that level of play.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like him

Better type of player against a high hit head hunting team

Be careful what you wish for Blues

Bruins need to reset, refocus move their feet and return the BS

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think he compliments Clifton a bit better personally. Gryz-Clifton have been great, but against a team like the Blues I'd prefer we don't have two really small guys on the same pairing.

Yes this may be the case.

Not that Moore is better than Gryz, but rather that Moore and CLifton might be a better pairing than Gryz and Clifton, especially in this series

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Best 8th dman in the league.

He won't be able to match MG's breakouts, but a pretty damn good replacement. What a luxury.

Hopefully he keeps it very simple with the safe play and doesn't try to play over his level. Rely on that near elite skating and carry the puck out of the zone.

Reactions: trenton1 and DKH

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
Moore is the logical choice to replace MG since Miller is done for the year. Sure is nice to have good backups on defense, especially in the Finals.

Reactions: DKH and trenton1

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Shouldn't be a huge difference here. Moore is a little bigger and stronger, he can skate well and move the puck. He's not as good with the puck as Grizz, but he should do just fine.

Pretty much this. I think it's fantastic that the Bruins planned ahead and have someone as good as Moore ready to step in. I'm honestly not worried because I've seen him play quite well this year and he's also bigger than Grzelyck, which is important against St. Louis.

Reactions: BMC

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hopefully he will have success with the bigger body.

Wasn’t he dealing with an upper body injury vs Columbus? Wasn’t it an existing injury that was re-bothered after CBJ roughed him up?

Or am I way off?

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Bruins are in a damn good place when this is the guy they have waiting in the wings. He'd be in the top 6 of any team in the league.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Hopefully he will have success with the bigger body.

Wasn’t he dealing with an upper body injury vs Columbus? Wasn’t it an existing injury that was re-bothered after CBJ roughed him up?

Or am I way off?

i believe true. originally happened against tampa in march

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Time for Moore to earn his salary. Hope we get the good Moore from earlier this season instead of the mediocre Moore we have been seeing lately.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I like Moore's size in this series. Grzelcyk is the better player but St. Louis was able to exploit the lack of size on the 3rd pair to some degree. Keep Moore and Clifton away from Tarasenko and Schenn and they'll be fine.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Love John Moore and think he will do a great job.

Doesn't get enough credit for how well he played Oct through January-ish before all the other D got healthy and he became the odd man out. On the vast majority of NHL teams he's easily an everyday player.

Reactions: Estlin and BMC

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
So glad we have this guy. He's a great player and can fill in no problem. He shouldn't be too rusty either after playing in the Carolina series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->