Player Discussion John Moore

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
^tho Lauzons emergence makes me feel better. while Vaakanainen was hurt, I liked what I saw in the short sample size. Zboril I need to see more of.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
While this is logical we need to be prepared for the expansion draft, and honestly more injuries. I don’t think we should trade a defensman.
My philosophy is prepare for the 2019 SC Playoffs. Everyone being healthy means, Chara, McAvoy, Moore, Carlo, Krug, Miller, Grzelcyk, Vaakainen and, possibly, Lauzon on the roster. In order to compete we need improvements at 3C and 2RW.

All for looking ahead to whenever the expansion draft takes place, but here and now, we need to upgrade the roster.

And there’s still Zboril, Clifton and Johansson in Providence, plus what we can pick up in a trade or off the waiver wire in a pinch,

Reactions: Silva

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The thing for me is, if you swap out Krug for a scoring winger, does that scoring winger off-set the drop in production among the rest of the forward group with Krug's absence? Because he makes our forward group as a whole better IMO. People compare Krug to Gryz all the time, and the biggest (not only) difference between the two players for me is Krug's dynamic passing ability. Gryz makes great passes, but he makes the safe high % pass most of the time, but he does it with precision and consistency that not many D-men can offer.

Krug can and will make that hard difficult pass, that thread the needle, find the seem no one sees, variety. I don't really see any other D-man on this team who offers that sort of capability.

Miller is the guy upstairs in my mind if by some miracle the Bruins ever get all their D-men healthy. And that's no knock on him, just a testament to how well the other 6 guys have performed.

I don't know. I'm not sure the forward group's offense drops when you remove Krug. The Bruins played 11 games without Krug this year and averaged 3.0 goals per game. In the 12 games they've played with him, they've averaged 2.6 goals per game. I'm sure there are other factors contributing to those numbers but the the fact that it's not a big drop suggests that they might be okay.

The other factor to consider is even strength points. This year, McAvoy and Gryz both have more ES points than Krug, who's done most of his damage on the PP where he stays out for almost the whole thing. Last year Krug's offense was more evenly split between PP and ES but McAvoy was only 9 points back in ES production with 16 fewer games. I think there's a chance that McAvoy, the new and improved Gryz (who might be better defensively than Krug right now) and the speedy Moore would be able to get the puck moving and into the hands of the forwards. Maybe not quite at the same level as Krug, but be highly effective nonetheless.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about losing that clutch, "I want to be a difference maker" heart that Krug plays with.

You know this team has come a long way when we're able to consider moving one of the best offensive defensemen in the game because they have so much depth and mobility already in place and in Providence.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Bruins make a trade to offload the "extra" D and they'll have a top 4 guy blow out a knee and be playing AHLers in the playoffs, mark my words.

take your pick on who the odd man out is, but I'd rather deal with that problem in the summer unless some team is willing to overpay for someone like Grizz or Krug.

Reactions: HumBucker

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
They have indeed come a long way on defense Bill.

Just 3 seasons ago the depth chart included Chara, Krug, C & K Miller, Irwin, Seidenberg, Liles, McQuaid, Morrow and Trotman.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
They have indeed come a long way on defense Bill.

Just 3 seasons ago the depth chart included Chara, Krug, C & K Miller, Irwin, Seidenberg, Liles, McQuaid, Morrow and Trotman.

OMG.....just seeing the name Trotman in print is making me nauseous.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't know. I'm not sure the forward group's offense drops when you remove Krug. The Bruins played 11 games without Krug this year and averaged 3.0 goals per game. In the 12 games they've played with him, they've averaged 2.6 goals per game. I'm sure there are other factors contributing to those numbers but the the fact that it's not a big drop suggests that they might be okay.

The other factor to consider is even strength points. This year, McAvoy and Gryz both have more ES points than Krug, who's done most of his damage on the PP where he stays out for almost the whole thing. Last year Krug's offense was more evenly split between PP and ES but McAvoy was only 9 points back in ES production with 16 fewer games. I think there's a chance that McAvoy, the new and improved Gryz (who might be better defensively than Krug right now) and the speedy Moore would be able to get the puck moving and into the hands of the forwards. Maybe not quite at the same level as Krug, but be highly effective nonetheless.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about losing that clutch, "I want to be a difference maker" heart that Krug plays with.

You know this team has come a long way when we're able to consider moving one of the best offensive defensemen in the game because they have so much depth and mobility already in place and in Providence.

Some of the numbers are skewed with the lack of Bergeron for some of Krug's games. To my eyes, once Bergeron went down, the offense has not been the same.

Reactions: DrJustice

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

From a first-pass, breakout perspective, I'll say at least Moore and Gryz make a more consistent first pass than Krug does.

But in the offensive zone, he's on a different level from every D-man (even McAvoy) on this current team. Not just his shooting, but as I said his dynamic passing ability to find those passing lanes and soft spots the other guys don't seem to see. He gives especially the 3rd and 4th lines (where there aren't many guys who can create and generate their own looks) an offensive presence in the offensive zone whenever he's out there with them.

Not to say I wouldn't trade Krug in the right deal, just that I don't see a scoring winger to put alongside Krejci being necessary enough to risk losing what Krug brings to this team. Give me a center, now I'd consider that. But not a 2nd line scoring winger. To be perfectly honest, a 2nd line winger shouldn't cost this team it's best offensive D-man.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Some of the numbers are skewed with the lack of Bergeron for some of Krug's games. To my eyes, once Bergeron went down, the offense has not been the same.
Even if we just look at the games Bergeron played there is still no change. 3 goals/game without Krug (11 game sample) and 3 goals/game with Krug over a 9 game sample. Again, that’s only counting the games Bergeron has played.

FWIW, I’m not suggesting Krug isn’t a dynamic offensive player but I am wondering if the improvements in McAvaoy, Carlo and Gryz (not to mention the addition of Moore) are enough to make him a luxury, as opposed to the necessity he’s been in year’s past.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
From a first-pass, breakout perspective, I'll say at least Moore and Gryz make a more consistent first pass than Krug does.

But in the offensive zone, he's on a different level from every D-man (even McAvoy) on this current team. Not just his shooting, but as I said his dynamic passing ability to find those passing lanes and soft spots the other guys don't seem to see. He gives especially the 3rd and 4th lines (where there aren't many guys who can create and generate their own looks) an offensive presence in the offensive zone whenever he's out there with them.

Not to say I wouldn't trade Krug in the right deal, just that I don't see a scoring winger to put alongside Krejci being necessary enough to risk losing what Krug brings to this team. Give me a center, now I'd consider that. But not a 2nd line scoring winger. To be perfectly honest, a 2nd line winger shouldn't cost this team it's best offensive D-man.

That’s fair. I’ll agree he’s a better offensive defenseman (right now) than the rest of the group, but let me ask you this: Where do you slot him in a playoff series?

Last year he had 12 points in 11 games but was still a -5. The other night against Pittsburgh he played less than Moore and Miller and about the same as Grzelcyk. If the Bruins have to go through Tampa and Washington is he in your top4 going against their top lines?

The reason I ask is because Krug is going to get paid on his next contract, and I can see the value in moving forward with Gryz in that role, signed to an affordable deal for the next few years.

You know, it’s funny, when they signed Moore I thought it made Gryz expendable, not Krug. I never thought Gryz would play so well that it would make me think Krug wasn’t an absolute necessity.

At any rate, I’m going to back off the Krug rhetoric (until the summer). You and others have made a good case and now I’m thinking they keep both for the playoffs. It costs them nothing to keep that kind of depth in tow and they say you need to be 8 deep on defense to win a cup.

Hopefully they can find some other pieces to deal for a forward because I do believe a RW is a necessity. If they don’t have two dominant lines they can forget about competing with the real beasts in the East.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That’s fair. I’ll agree he’s a better offensive defenseman (right now) than the rest of the group, but let me ask you this: Where do you slot him in a playoff series?

Last year he had 12 points in 11 games but was still a -5. The other night against Pittsburgh he played less than Moore and Miller and about the same as Grzelcyk. If the Bruins have to go through Tampa and Washington is he in your top4 going against their top lines?

The reason I ask is because Krug is going to get paid on his next contract, and I can see the value in moving forward with Gryz in that role, signed to an affordable deal for the next few years.

You know, it’s funny, when they signed Moore I thought it made Gryz expendable, not Krug. I never thought Gryz would play so well that it would make me think Krug wasn’t an absolute necessity.

At any rate, I’m going to back off the Krug rhetoric (until the summer). You and others have made a good case and now I’m thinking they keep both for the playoffs. It costs them nothing to keep that kind of depth in tow and they say you need to be 8 deep on defense to win a cup.

Hopefully they can find some other pieces to deal for a forward because I do believe a RW is a necessity. If they don’t have two dominant lines they can forget about competing with the real beasts in the East.

They way I see this D shaping up if they ever get the entire crew healthy at one time, Krug is probably on the 3rd pair. But I also see the 3 pairs playing a more even amount of minutes as well, I don't think we see say Chara-McAvoy racking up 23-25 mins a game in the playoffs. And if they do, this team won't be successful. I see it as a group being much more than the sum of their parts, rather than relying on 1-2 guys to carry the load in terms of minutes and match-ups. Which is more along the lines of the Pittsburgh D model than the Washington group that HEAVILY relied on their top 3 guys (Niskanen, Orlov, Carlson). And I think this group is superior to the two groups of D-men that Pittsburgh iced in their two cup wins.

Krug will get paid on his next deal, no question. And if he ends up leaving as a UFA, so be it. If Boston intends to contend for a cup with this veteran core the next two seasons, I think they are better off keeping Krug and let it play out however it plays out, make the decision to re-sign or let him walk after the 2019-20 season is over.

False Start

May 8, 2018
How did we get this guy this cheap?

Playing on our team seems to have opened up his game even more. He's only like 29 and in his prime.

Solid solid player. Very cheap cap hit. Likely our biggest casualty come expansion.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Time to sit someone else
From what I watched last night Carlo and Gryz should be the only D gauranteed to play next game! The other 4 were all different levels of brutal with Chara standing around out of position watching the Jets third goal. Also liked Miller tripping over his own feet and screening Halak while bailing on the block for the Jets first goal! Krug and Charlie were just regular level Brutal. Can't recall seeing one D to forward pass last night that the forward didn't have to take a hand off the stick to catch the pass whereas the Jets D passes were crisp, on the ice, and tape to tape! Those crisp passes allow the forwards more time to create offence and not get drilled while reaching for bad passes.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I know people love to compare Gryz and Krug, mostly because of their size, but I firmly believe in regards to style of play that Gryz and Moore are the two redundant guys. Both of them are smooth skaters that can skate themselves out of trouble and like you said make terrific first passes. They have limited offensive upside because their shots aren't anything special and in the offensive zone more often you will see either one of them take the safe play and dump it in the corner rather than towing the line or trying to fire a shot on net.

@PlayMakers also said it perfectly as well, I think what we would miss the most with Krug is that heart and clutch play in the playoffs. Forwards are always talked about as the clutch goal scorer, but Krug does that from our backend. I'm confident that if we need a goal late he is going to be involved either by scoring or setting up the play.

It's a tough call that the Bruins front office has - you can't realistically keep all 7 Dmen + guys like Vaak, Lauzon and even Clifton are knocking on the door too.

If Krug or Gryz returns the right guy you entertain it, but I think you need to see a clear upgrade for more than rental to entertain Krug. Gryz I would trade for a scoring winger as I also think Vaak brings a similar skillset to him and Moore.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I'm not sure why you all are upset Grzelyck has earned playing time over him.

That speaks to Grz more than it does against Moore. It's an unfortunate scenario for Moore since he's the 7th best defenseman on the team at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad