Player Discussion John Moore

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Really liking him so far.

Seems to always be in position and most of all, he doesn’t quit even if he’s had a bit of a rocky shift (counting preseason).

Watching the games he’s easily been their best defenseman, so in this case +/- works

He's been steady in his first two games. Like Boychuk (doesn't play like Boychuk) he seems to be hitting his stride as an NHL D-man later than most (he'll be 28 in Nov, roughly the same age as Boychuk when he really established himself as a very good D-man.

It's a real boon to Chara and this team that they now have two LD who they trust to kill penalties.

To me he's their No.3 guy based on his play so far. If they are going to stick with Chara-McAvoy as a pair, I'd much prefer Moore stay with Carlo on the No.2 pair. Krug on the 3rd with Miller

1) McAvoy
2) Chara
3) Moore
4) Carlo
5) Krug
6) Miller
7) Gryz

Pretty good group overall. And I still think there is the potential for Urho to supplant Miller by Game 82.

Baring catastrophic injuries to a key guy, Sweeney to me has the D and G positions all looked after for this season.

Figure out the Forward ranks now and the Bruins will be fine.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He's been steady in his first two games. Like Boychuk (doesn't play like Boychuk) he seems to be hitting his stride as an NHL D-man later than most (he'll be 28 in Nov, roughly the same age as Boychuk when he really established himself as a very good D-man.

It's a real boon to Chara and this team that they now have two LD who they trust to kill penalties.

To me he's their No.3 guy based on his play so far. If they are going to stick with Chara-McAvoy as a pair, I'd much prefer Moore stay with Carlo on the No.2 pair. Krug on the 3rd with Miller

1) McAvoy
2) Chara
3) Moore
4) Carlo
5) Krug
6) Miller
7) Gryz

Pretty good group overall. And I still think there is the potential for Urho to supplant Miller by Game 82.

Baring catastrophic injuries to a key guy, Sweeney to me has the D and G positions all looked after for this season.

Figure out the Forward ranks now and the Bruins will be fine.

Like it. Moore still has trouble diagnosing his reads down low when the puck is being passed around the ozone, he has to get to his man quicker, but he is coming into his own here...don’t even remember seeing him this confident looking.

Reactions: TCB and BruinDust

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
I thought he played a solid game against OTT - moved the puck well, played physical, not afraid to jump into scrums. Grz also moved the puck well. nice problem to have - 7 legit NHL D to rotate. Injuries (like with Krug now) will happen. Will also (hopefully) allow Chara to play less minutes.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Sweeny and Neely knew they could not have Gryz and Krug on the left side in the playoffs so this was the fix I like the move.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Have no complaints thus far discounting game 1 where everyone was a no show. Really wasn`t too familiar with him so I was able to watch him having not already pre judged him.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
what a signing this guy has been. he's not perfect, but for less than 3 mil who would expect that?

his skating is truly impressive and he is a habs killer...what more can you ask for?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
what a signing this guy has been. he's not perfect, but for less than 3 mil who would expect that?

his skating is truly impressive and he is a habs killer...what more can you ask for?

Best signing of the Sweeney era by far. Maybe best NHL pickup by Sweeney, period. Mobile, tough, clutch, can play both sides, kills penalties, can move up the lineup if necessary... Well done.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Best signing of the Sweeney era by far. Maybe best NHL pickup by Sweeney, period. Mobile, tough, clutch, can play both sides, kills penalties, can move up the lineup if necessary... Well done.

Best signing outside of Halak for sure. Though you can make a strong case for Riley as #2 as well.

Reactions: FanSince72

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Best signing outside of Halak for sure. Though you can make a strong case for Riley as #2 as well.
Wasn't a huge fan the Riley Nash signing. He had a good year last year but also really struggled his first year here (just like he's doing in CLB now).

Halak is definitely good competition though. 2 years vs 5 years but both are playing way above their pay grade.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Wasn't a huge fan the Riley Nash signing. He had a good year last year but also really struggled his first year here (just like he's doing in CLB now).

Halak is definitely good competition though. 2 years vs 5 years but both are playing way above their pay grade.

True but Moore is 28 to Halak’s 33 so the terms are close to ideal. Very pleased with both in any case.

Given Riley’s low cap-hit, I’d argue that he was worth it for last year’s career season alone.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

he's been better than i expected - always liked the wheels, but he seems to be thriving on a better team with better
structure and better players around him (i believe @LouJersey called this). it seems that this team will never be 100% healthy, but if they are, who
are you sitting out?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Playing like a top 4 guy and looking good at it, scored, blocked 4 shots and was great in his own end.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Been surprised at his lack of offensive production (not that it's a concern or anything), but been even more surprised at his elevated play in his own zone. His skating and ability to move the puck has always been good, but his decision making at times and penchant for making costly dumb plays have been weak points. Yeah, haven't seen those negatives since he's been with the Bs. I thought he made some positional mistakes against the Pens, but those didn't cost the team, and he otherwise played great. The game last night was his best game as a Bruin. He was physically very engaged all night long, played super smart, saved a possible goal, and was great in the transition game. Oh, and he scored that GWG. I didn't mind the signing, but was kind of meh about it. Not "meh" any more.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Been surprised at his lack of offensive production (not that it's a concern or anything), but been even more surprised at his elevated play in his own zone. His skating and ability to move the puck has always been good, but his decision making at times and penchant for making costly dumb plays have been weak points. Yeah, haven't seen those negatives since he's been with the Bs. I thought he made some positional mistakes against the Pens, but those didn't cost the team, and he otherwise played great. The game last night was his best game as a Bruin. He was physically very engaged all night long, played super smart, saved a possible goal, and was great in the transition game. Oh, and he scored that GWG. I didn't mind the signing, but was kind of meh about it. Not "meh" any more.

Moore himself stated as much about his game, with the new team his focus initially has been to be sound defensively with hopes now that he`s a bit more comfortable to add the offensive element

Bruins notes: Night of firsts for Moore, Backes in Bruins win over Habs

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
he's been better than i expected - always liked the wheels, but he seems to be thriving on a better team with better
structure and better players around him (i believe @LouJersey called this). it seems that this team will never be 100% healthy, but if they are, who
are you sitting out?
Tough call. Honestly, it makes me think Krug is expendable. I've always been a fan and he's all heart, but... Gryz has been so good and McAvoy is a stud in his own right. Plus that contract coming up.

Chara - McAvoy
Moore - Carlo
Gryz - Miller

With Krug swapped out for a bona fide top6 RW for Krejci is probably the way I'd go.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
are you sitting out?

Tough call. Honestly, it makes me think Krug is expendable. I've always been a fan and he's all heart, but... Gryz has been so good and McAvoy is a stud in his own right. Plus that contract coming up.

Chara - McAvoy
Moore - Carlo
Gryz - Miller

With Krug swapped out for a bona fide top6 RW for Krejci is probably the way I'd go.

The thing for me is, if you swap out Krug for a scoring winger, does that scoring winger off-set the drop in production among the rest of the forward group with Krug's absence? Because he makes our forward group as a whole better IMO. People compare Krug to Gryz all the time, and the biggest (not only) difference between the two players for me is Krug's dynamic passing ability. Gryz makes great passes, but he makes the safe high % pass most of the time, but he does it with precision and consistency that not many D-men can offer.

Krug can and will make that hard difficult pass, that thread the needle, find the seem no one sees, variety. I don't really see any other D-man on this team who offers that sort of capability.

Miller is the guy upstairs in my mind if by some miracle the Bruins ever get all their D-men healthy. And that's no knock on him, just a testament to how well the other 6 guys have performed.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
When everyone’s healthy, I make a trade decision centered around Krug/Grzelcyk. It depends on the trading team needs, of course. Cap considerations are important here.

I keep Miller because of his toughness and RHS.
While this is logical we need to be prepared for the expansion draft, and honestly more injuries. I don’t think we should trade a defensman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad