Confirmed with Link: John Madden will not be back to coach Cleveland

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
giphy.gif

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Not being in the locker room it is hard to say if the players were responding to him. Sometimes it looked like they didn't play hard for him, then they made a nice run and made the playoffs. Bottom line is making the playoffs in the ahl doesn't matter if you aren't developing players the way the parent club wants. Columbus obviously wasn't happy so they have to get someone else. I wonder if they give a young guy like McCarthy a shot. He's been here 4 years so should have an idea what Columbus expects.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I love the lip service - "development"
There was zero help from Cleveland under this guy "development" in 3 years.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Do any of you know how much leeway an ahl coach is given to coach their way as opposed to be given a blueprint to follow? Seeing Bednar for a year it seemed like he did things his way. Madden seemed like he was told from above what they wanted him to do.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Do any of you know how much leeway an ahl coach is given to coach their way as opposed to be given a blueprint to follow? Seeing Bednar for a year it seemed like he did things his way. Madden seemed like he was told from above what they wanted him to do.
Maybe one needed more "guidance" than the other.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Monstershockey

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Based on conversations with the current ECHL Cyclones head coach Matt Thomas, the Cyclones use the same zone exit and entrance strategies and forechecking schemes as their Rochester (AHL) and Buffalo (NHL) affiliates. I don't recall discussing PK and PP strategies.

EDIT: The PK schemes are the same. There was a season ticket holder function where the asst. coach broke down tape and I recall him mentioning the similarity with the 2 higher affiliates.

I know from relationships with other former Cyclones coaches that they sometimes have very little leeway with personnel decisions, i.e. who they dress for games. There was one coach who said that he used to "feel ill" in the mornings on game days when he had to play a certain goalkeeper. He was not alone. The hard core fan base felt the same:laugh: Good kid. Terrible goalie.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
This is very good news. We've gotten basically zero help with call ups lately. When Mark Letestu/Zac Dalpe is the best you can muster, it's not a good situation.

At the risk of putting words in your mouth, Merzlikins, Texier and Gavrikov all came to the CBJ after their European seasons ended. Bemstrom was over there also. Peeke was in college and Foudy was in Canadian Major Junior. Is it Cleveland's fault that a majority of NHL ready prospects were parked across the pond? If the AHL franchise never produced a prospect, but the CBJ got 2 budding all starts every year from Europe, I could care less. If guys developed in Costa Rica, I really don't care. If they can help the team and are ready to play, I'm not that concerned. Example: see Dubois, P.L.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
One would think that the replacement that is picked for the monsters , that Jarmo sees them as the replacement for Torts when the time comes

I don't think that is accurate at all. I think it all depends on how the guy does. Develops the guys there already and the new ones and he has a chance but even if he wins 3 Calder Cups I'd guess the odds are it will be a re-tread or a current NHL assistant from a very good team.

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
Bednar seemed to mix the vets and kids well. His Calder team had Bjork, Anderson, ZW, Hanni supported by guys like Craig and Sifers. The kids developed as the season went along. Last year the kids Stenlund, Sherwood, Abramov didn't get the development time as Madden seemed to lean on the vets like Dalpe, Gerbe, Desalvo. Thinking he may have felt it was playoffs or bust for him last year after not making it there for the first 2 years in.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
It would have to be good timing. I think Bednar was being groomed but with them just getting Torts, and then Cleveland winning the cup, it threw things out of whack. They couldn't fire Torts, and they couldn't stop Bednar from getting offers elsewhere. I read that Torts offered him an assistant job to keep him here, but he turned it down because he wanted a head coaching job. It worked for Detroit and Pittsburgh but things fell into place for it to work. Grooming a coach would take a few years and Torts may be gone before the new guy would be ready.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't know that Madden is a great head coaching candidate and didn't seem spectacular during his time but I also don't think he had much to work with. Ever since the Calder Cup team basically moved all of the prospects up to the CBJ Cleveland hasn't had a ton to work with. Most top prospects have been in Europe. However a point could be made that prospects like Carlsson and Stenlund who did play there aren't developing in the way they want them to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad