Prospect Info: John Ludvig (D) (2019, #69 overall), Syracuse Crunch (AHL), signed ELC 3/30/20

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Getting Gildon and Ludvig both signed is great to see.

I think we could see an overhaul of the back end this summer and these guys may be ready within the next season or two.

I think at least one of Matheson/Yandle is gone for sure.

On Ludvig, can someone confirm whether this past draft was his first or second year of eligibility?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Getting Gildon and Ludvig both signed is great to see.

I think we could see an overhaul of the back end this summer and these guys may be ready within the next season or two.

I think at least one of Matheson/Yandle is gone for sure.

On Ludvig, can someone confirm whether this past draft was his first or second year of eligibility?
He was second year eligible but with an August birthday - less than two months and he would've been in his first year of eligibility.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Can anyone report on why Ludvig had such an offensive explosion this season? Was it usage based/given more ice time/opportunity? It's not very often you see this happen from a defenceman from one year to the next. I noticed last season Portland had two 20 year old D ahead of him, so I'm assuming that's a big factor.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
This is Jan Ludvig's son... he is from Kamloops and played his minor hockey growing up there and Junior B there. He went to Bostons camp last season when he was passed over in the draft. I was actually SHOCKED nobody drafted him last year... I know a crap load of teams invited him to their camp though.

He is a very steady player and is extremely tough when he fights. This was a VERY good pick by you guys.

Just read this again. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully you can keep us updated as time goes on.

Hope everyone on your end is staying safe.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Another great signing, time to refresh our D prospect pool in the AHL.

Are we gonna have enough spots in the AHL next year for all these guys, or are we clearing the deck for the most part?

Reactions: harv33173

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Can anyone report on why Ludvig had such an offensive explosion this season? Was it usage based/given more ice time/opportunity? It's not very often you see this happen from a defenceman from one year to the next. I noticed last season Portland had two 20 year old D ahead of him, so I'm assuming that's a big factor.
Usage definitely helped - he got all the icetime this year and especially played on PP1. He was 0+2 on the PP last year vs. 9+20 this year. That's 27 points increase just from getting the PP opportunity (the PP was 4th best in the WHL). It's one of the things they probably looked at when they drafted him - his (low) point totals back then were at least partially due to the lack of PP time. That said his current PP points aren't exactly inflated - all of the top8 WHL dmen point leaders have over 20 PP points and three of them have over 30 PP points - it's more in line of what's expected from the PP quarterback on a great team.

2018/19: 15 ES points, 2 PP points, 1 PK point for a total of 18 (58 GP)
2019/20: 32 ES points, 29 PP points, 1 PK point for a total of 62 (60 GP).

That's still a very nice increase but more explainable. Fans/coaches also saying he took a huge step forward and was very dominant, beyond anybody's expectations. Didn't have a letter last year and was kinda buried by team depth. Got drafted, got the C and responded big.

He did say at the beginning of the season that he wanted to focus more on his offence this year - guess that worked out :D

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Here is something cool you guys will like.....

Florida Panthers sign Winterhawks captain "Rocky" John Ludvig - DUBNetwork

Wanted to point out something extremely cool and RARE to see from kids from the above article....

Mike Johnston shared a story about when he went to visit Ludvig after his rookie season in the WHL. “I stopped in to see him, his dad, and his mom. His dad and John took me out into the backyard and asked if I wanted to see where John trained. I will describe what I saw as a shed, barn-like structure. In there was a pullup bar, a sawed-off log, and John would work in there almost like a “Rocky” like-program. He was jumping on and off logs, doing pull ups, dong one handed push ups, stickhandling, shooting, and would run through the forest.”
Sure enough, Ludvig echoed what his bench boss said, “Yep, we have this barn or shed in my backyard where I have some weights, tires, and sledgehammers. I’ve got an old school training setup here which is very useful for me. This quarantine hasn’t impacted me too much training wise because of my style of training.”
The runs through the forest are not your everyday run, “We still have four feet of snow up here still. Every morning I get up with my family and we are going on hikes through the mountains in four feet of snow.”

“I couldn’t believe it,” Johnston continued. “I have never seen that in today’s day and age. Everybody is at a gym with high-tech equipment, but here John was old school “Rocky” training like you see at the end of the movie and how he is doing all these things with no fancy equipment. That just shows you with John the type of focus and work ethic he has.”
The old-school mentality does not end with the backyard.
Johnston and the family went back inside the house before departing for dinner. “Do you have internet here,” Johnston asked. John answered, “Nah, not really, it doesn’t really work well out here.”
The Ludvigs live about 15 minutes outside of Kamloops.
Johnston was left thinking, “This guy is a teenage kid, training in a shed, working in the woods, training like he is, old school as they come, and doesn’t have internet. Wow, this is an amazingly focused and determined kid.”

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Here is something cool you guys will like.....

Florida Panthers sign Winterhawks captain "Rocky" John Ludvig - DUBNetwork

Wanted to point out something extremely cool and RARE to see from kids from the above article....

Mike Johnston shared a story about when he went to visit Ludvig after his rookie season in the WHL. “I stopped in to see him, his dad, and his mom. His dad and John took me out into the backyard and asked if I wanted to see where John trained. I will describe what I saw as a shed, barn-like structure. In there was a pullup bar, a sawed-off log, and John would work in there almost like a “Rocky” like-program. He was jumping on and off logs, doing pull ups, dong one handed push ups, stickhandling, shooting, and would run through the forest.”
Sure enough, Ludvig echoed what his bench boss said, “Yep, we have this barn or shed in my backyard where I have some weights, tires, and sledgehammers. I’ve got an old school training setup here which is very useful for me. This quarantine hasn’t impacted me too much training wise because of my style of training.”
The runs through the forest are not your everyday run, “We still have four feet of snow up here still. Every morning I get up with my family and we are going on hikes through the mountains in four feet of snow.”

“I couldn’t believe it,” Johnston continued. “I have never seen that in today’s day and age. Everybody is at a gym with high-tech equipment, but here John was old school “Rocky” training like you see at the end of the movie and how he is doing all these things with no fancy equipment. That just shows you with John the type of focus and work ethic he has.”
The old-school mentality does not end with the backyard.
Johnston and the family went back inside the house before departing for dinner. “Do you have internet here,” Johnston asked. John answered, “Nah, not really, it doesn’t really work well out here.”
The Ludvigs live about 15 minutes outside of Kamloops.
Johnston was left thinking, “This guy is a teenage kid, training in a shed, working in the woods, training like he is, old school as they come, and doesn’t have internet. Wow, this is an amazingly focused and determined kid.”

I almost wish I didn't read this because now I'm even more excited to see him succeed but I'll be sad when he gets the Panthers curse. Need more Ludvigs on this team.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
So on D we now have gildon, ludvig, priskie, rauhauser, kolyachonok, and evening keeper. Our ahl D should be much improved (kolyachonok still has one more season before the ahl). And I’ve got some reasonably high hopes for carter Berger (finished his first year in college).

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
So on D we now have gildon, ludvig, priskie, rauhauser, kolyachonok, and evening keeper. Our ahl D should be much improved (kolyachonok still has one more season before the ahl). And I’ve got some reasonably high hopes for carter Berger (finished his first year in college).

Sounds like Koly could be moving to the KHL for next season..could be a good thing for him to start playing in a pro league.

Reactions: FrolikFan67

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We could use more RD. I mentioned 6 LD and 1 RD. And that’s assuming stillman makes the team fulltime. brown would be another RD but we need more than keeper and brown.

Reactions: Cold Cat

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I hadn't even noticed that he'd been playing for Syracuse in the AHL. 6 points in 11 games so far. Very nice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad