Prospect Info: John Ludvig (D) (2019, #69 overall), Syracuse Crunch (AHL), signed ELC 3/30/20

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
With the 69th pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft,
The Florida Panthers are proud to select:

John Ludvig (D)
Portland Winterhawks - (WHL)

dw_john_ludvig_portland_2018-03-15.jpg

John Ludvig at eliteprospects.com
NHL Draft: John Ludvig - DraftGeek

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bad value it seems like...even the announcers did not have anything to say about him
TV crew during the second day doesn't hold much value, 90% of the day they speak about completely different things than the players getting picked.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Do you think there's a relation to Jan Ludvig? Can't find anything that would link them.

EDIT: So apparently Jan Ludvig is his father. The closest the Panthers have gotten to drafting a Czech in what, a decade? More?

My bad. Checked NHL.com and listed him as CZE, but he's actually from Kamloops.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Didn't get drafted last year. Apparently his skating is okay.

"John’s skating isn’t the fastest or smoothest of the draft eligibles; however, his skating is efficient and has no wasted strides. He is not the quickest player on the ice, but nor is he the slowest either. His edge work is above average and his first three strides fall right in line. Depending on the opponent or the forecheck, Ludvig can make clean exits from the zone on his own, but is not dynamic enough to execute against top competition. He instead uses his vision to make breakout passes when the skating option is not available." NHL Draft: John Ludvig - DraftGeek

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He LOOKS tough!

Watch the top fight on that link, he destroys some guy from behind and then caves in the teammate who jumps in.
Has a mean streak, hopefully he can learn the fine line but if he's a #5-7 D who can swing, then I'm all for toughening up the bottom pairing.

Weegar, Brown, Keeper, Stillman and now Ludvig. They can all fight

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Watch the top fight on that link, he destroys some guy from behind and then caves in the teammate who jumps in.
Has a mean streak, hopefully he can learn the fine line but if he's a #5-7 D who can swing, then I'm all for toughening up the bottom pairing.

Weegar, Brown, Keeper, Stillman and now Ludvig. They can all fight
Its such a necessary role to be filled.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This is Jan Ludvig's son... he is from Kamloops and played his minor hockey growing up there and Junior B there. He went to Bostons camp last season when he was passed over in the draft. I was actually SHOCKED nobody drafted him last year... I know a crap load of teams invited him to their camp though.

He is a very steady player and is extremely tough when he fights. This was a VERY good pick by you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad