John Lammers...I don't understand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
John Lammers, of the Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), is one heck of a talent but despite being 5th in their division and likely missing the playoffs he is not the only draft eligible talent on the Hurricanes roster.

However Lammers is the only drafted eligible talent ranked by Central Scouting. I don't even think Lammers is the best draft eligible player on the Hurricanes...there are 2 other players that should be ranked and shouldn't go much lower than Lammers.

#1 = Kris Versteeg - a hometown boy centering the top line for most of the year with revolving wingers he deserves recognition. A lack of size is definitely a set back but he has grown in stature and as a player from the beginning of the year and he is not afraid to throw his smaller frame around by playing in traffic areas. He has soft hands and can dangle with the best of them...a prospect that has been underservingly overlooked by Central Scouting. I hope an NHL team, preferably the Edmonton Oilers, take a flyer on this kid in the late rounds.

#2 = Michal Gulasi - what can i say...first year playing in North America and this kid is a diamond in the rough prospect. There is not much he doesn't do to perfection on the ice as a defenceman. He is not towering by any means but he plays a very in your face physical game suitable to the North American style but he also has strong skating and passing skills. His offensive stats do not tell the whole story...he plays on the Canes second powerplay unit and is very effective when on the ice in those situations. I just really like the way this young Czech plays the game and I hope a team, once again the Oilers, take a chance on him in the mid to late rounds.

Has anyone else seen these two Hurricanes prospects? If so what are your opinions on them? Why do you feel they were overlooked again by the mid-season Central Scouting rankings? Do you see any potential for either player to not only get drafted but play at the next level?

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

Seriously...no one has any comments or even questions related to this thread.

There are a lot of knowledgeable posters on these boards but none of you have seen enough of these 2 prospects to provide some insight/opinion?

Are there any Czech posters here that remember Gulasi prior to his North American playing days?

Come on...somebody has to have some sort of voice on these matters.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Although I've only seen two games of the Canes, I'd give the nod to Lammers.

I personally think if he can overcome shooting it from the blueline each time he enters the zone, and learns to handle the physical play, the rest will take care of the rest. He's got solid enough hands and wheels where he can be effective.

Versteeg is alright, better then I had expected. I'm not sure where he's ranked, if ranked at all. He's just your solid, all-round kind of unsung hero type.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I agree with the pro scouts here. Lammers is several notches above Gulasi and Versteeg as a prospect. Not only is he bigger, and looks like he will add much more bulk to his frame, but he has several skating gears and he can make 1st class moves at speed. Lammers makes things happen with skills that can transfer to a higher level.

Versteeg is smaller and is physically much weaker, gets knocked off the puck. He is creative and skillled but needs more time to make plays, time he will not have time at a higher level. He will be a top junior scorer but his game does not translate to the pros so well.

Gulasi is pretty small for a D so he'd better compensate for it with some exceptional skill. So far he falls far short of the skills and ahievements of small DF of the past, such as Micki Dupont or Ian White at the same age, and they are marginal for the NHL. So I can see why Gulasi isn't setting the scouts on fire.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Thanks guys...

Thanks for the opinions and knowledgeable disagreements...maybe i just have a bad habit of rooting for the underdog or trying to find the diamond in the rough but yeah Lammers is probably the best out of the three when you take into account whose talent will cross over and prosper at the next level.

I just wanted to see if anyone else follows the Hurricanes and feels these two guys are overlooked or worth a late round boom/bust type pick in this year's draft. As far as i can see from the CSS mid-term rankings Versteeg is not ranked in the top 250 or whatever they include...yet Lammers is 69th...I just can't figure out how there can be 180+ skaters between Lammers and Versteeg as far as talent/potential but your explanations help to justify the rankings somewhat.

Gulasi may not be at the level of Dupont/White but you have to remember this is his first year of North American hockey where those two grew up playing this style and that is one of the reason their skills were superior at that age. He has improved so much this year that another year or two of development in the WHL and i think he skills could be right up there with these two...I watch a lot of hockey on TV and in person and he really impresses me, not only with his improvement and work ethic but i think he has skill at both ends although his stats aren't padded.

Thanks again guys...if anyone else has input...don't be shy!!!

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Isn't it great..all those beautiful surnames like Lammers, Versteeg, Bouwmeester, Verbeek etc. and all because of those Canadians who were so kind to liberate us in 1945. What would we do without those names..

laidsy13

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I've watched a number of Hurricanes this season, and its just not a lack of size holding him back. Think of guys like Samsonov who have size, but can still hold their own on the ice. Versteeg gets killed in JR's, think of what would happen him to him in any kind of pro hockey. He is the most skilled player on the team no question, but the guy spends more time laying on the ice than he does on his feet half of the time. His great stick handling works fine in the WHL against some of the weaker defenseman, the veteran guys, or solid guys just bump him off the puck most of the time. Plus the Diving penalty's had to stop, with his size and such i'm sure the scouts want to see him fighting through checks to prove that he can, or is willing to at least try - not take Unsportsmanlike penalty's for flopping.

As for Gulasi... wow. I guess i dont see it the way you do, A solid JR sure, but hes got a short fuse and was lucky someone didnt kill him. He wouldnt get away with that chippy play in pro hockey without having to back it up a bit more. Again, he doesnt have great size...seems strong, but his offensive ability doesnt stand out.

Maybe those guys will get drafted, or signed eventually - but i'm crossing my fingers it doesnt happen to be to my favorite team.

John Lammers on the other hand could make a decent NHL'er - He sometimes tries to do too much with the puck though, and costs his team breakouts the other way. He's got a good skill set, but his production slowed down cause other teams figured him out too easy. I think he needs to get a lot stronger, fight through checks more often (He has real good games....then games you dont even notice the guy) I was one of many who said Lammers would likely go in the 2nd round at the beginning of this season, but i expect his stock to fall.

CanesFanForLife

Mar 11, 2004
laidsy13 said:
John Lammers on the other hand could make a decent NHL'er - He sometimes tries to do too much with the puck though, and costs his team breakouts the other way.

To me that doesn't sound like Lammers, it sounds a lot like Versteeg. Lammers usually just shoots at the top of the circles while Versteeg tries the pretty stuff.

I am a Lethbridge Hurricane season ticket holder for 5 years now and I go to a few road games as well. Gulasi is a great physical defenseman who doesn't give up many turnovers at all. He is smart offensively too, that is why Hoffard places him on the PP#1 half the time (Most of the time Gulasi and Chapman switch from game to game). I have heard a couple of Bruin scouts rave about his intensity and work ethic so I would not be surprised if he is taken in the later rounds. He is also very strong on his feet for his size, doesn't get knocked down too often.

I don't think Versteeg will get drafted based on his size and that he doesn't finish his checks. He ALWAYS gives up turnovers at key times during the game. Not that great on the PK either. I always cringe when I see him out there. He rarely shoots in good oppurtunites, he is always looking for the pass. At least he is willing to fight every now and then although he usually gets whooped.

Lammers looked sharp before he "quit" the team, but after coming back he didn't look the same. He is a speedy forward who always comes back to forecheck and finishes his checks. The Future looks good for him, I think he did really well at the Top prospects game.

If Kyle Pess is draft eligible I think he should get drafted somewhere around 6th round. This guy is amazing, great forechecker, during games he looks like he is the fastest skater on the ice for both teams and he isn't afraid to get in the corners with the big guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->